All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Iowa's season ended Dec 27th (lol), it's New Years Eve. I'm not sure what he's doing at this point
Don't know or care what he's doing. I just know at the end of the season he was playing at a really high level. Him being out cost the Hawks 1-2 wins.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What offensive metric are you using? Wisconsin was #22 in scoring offense. Minnesota was #23. Penn St. was #16. Michigan was #33. Those Iowa opponents all ranked higher in scoring offense than 70% of the Big 12.
Total offense

• Funny
Reactions: HawkJRP

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Don't know or care what he's doing. I just know at the end of the season he was playing at a really high level. Him being out cost the Hawks 1-2 wins.
Welch being out does not bump them up to a college football playoff team. Lol Iowa didn't lose to Wisconsin, Michigan, or Penn State because one of their linebackers was injured don't be ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You think that's a better gauge of an offense's quality/potency than scoring offense?
I think they both need to be considered. I have no problem with saying Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State have good offenses. I've watched a lot of their games and would definitely agree their offenses were good.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think they both need to be considered. I have no problem with saying Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State have good offenses. I've watched a lot of their games and would definitely agree their offenses were good.

There's too many variables to rely on total offense as a measure of how good a team's offense actually is. If they have a top KR/PR who consistently shortens the field. If a team's defense is at/near the top in turnovers/takeaways that shortens the field for the O. It's the same for defenses. Using total D often doesn't make a lot of sense, if a team uses a bend-don't-break approach that gives up big yardage between the 20s and then clamps down and ranks at/near the top in scoring D. I couldn't care less how many yards my offense racks up compared to how many points they're putting up.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
He's going pro instead of pulling a King? Good for him

That’s the rumor right now. Can’t blame him since it seems he will be a top 20 pick. I know it is a hard decision though cause he loves being a Hawk, same for Wirfs.

King was never projected to be a first rounder.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That’s the rumor right now. Can’t blame him since it seems he will be a top 20 pick. I know it is a hard decision though cause he loves being a Hawk, same for Wirfs.

King was never projected to be a first rounder.

Hawkeye Game Film said King was a first rounder after his junior year

• Funny
Reactions: iahawks

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There's too many variables to rely on total offense as a measure of how good a team's offense actually is. If they have a top KR/PR who consistently shortens the field. If a team's defense is at/near the top in turnovers/takeaways that shortens the field for the O. It's the same for defenses. Using total D often doesn't make a lot of sense, if a team uses a bend-don't-break approach that gives up big yardage between the 20s and then clamps down and ranks at/near the top in scoring D. I couldn't care less how many yards my offense racks up compared to how many points they're putting up.
That's definitely true as well. You can definitely use different points of data / metrics to try and solidify any argument and then have an opinion on whether or not someone else's data / metrics is justified. The thing with using adjusted defensive and offensive rankings is that they sometimes don't really make much sense, because using that, Iowa State's defense would have a higher ranking than Iowa State's offense, which makes zero sense if you watched any of the games this year.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Iowa State's defense would have a higher ranking than Iowa State's offense, which makes zero sense if you watched any of the games this year.
Not really. After watching the game between us this year I was pretty unimpressed with the ISU offense. 17 total points and very little time spent inside the Iowa 25. Honestly, if Iowa wasn't starting a 5th string CB that game due to injury I'm not sure they get 13 points factoring in his two blow coverages. I was much more impressed with the ISU defense that game, specifically the DL and LBs.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not really. After watching the game between us this year I was pretty unimpressed with the ISU offense. 17 total points and very little time spent inside the Iowa 25. Honestly, if Iowa wasn't starting a 5th string CB that game due to injury I'm not sure they get 13 points factoring in his two blow coverages. I was much more impressed with the ISU defense that game, specifically the DL and LBs.
Yes because one single game encompasses an entire season lol. That's like me saying I wasn't impressed with Iowa's defense this year. They gave up 24 points to USC with almost half the game left and if it wasn't for USC playing their 3rd string QB the rest of the game, they would've given up 40 points.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Welch being out does not bump them up to a college football playoff team. Lol Iowa didn't lose to Wisconsin, Michigan, or Penn State because one of their linebackers was injured don't be ridiculous.
I think it very likely could have swung the Wisconsin game our way.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins