Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It was posted that he is not consistent with his 3 point shot and would likely move to point guard next year. A better fit for him than his current role. It is hard to for me to classify a guard who can't hit 3 pointers with consistency a legitimate P5 starter.

Again, I am not claiming to know much about cyclone basketball. I am taking an interest though.
Gessell shot above 31% for 3's in one season at Iowa. Was he a legitimate starter?

P

PeacefulRival

Gessell shot above 31% for 3's in one season at Iowa. Was he a legitimate starter?

Mike Gessell was definitely not a legitimate P5 starter. He was one of the worst PG's in Iowa history. Some Hawk fans will argue this, but I for one believe he would have been lucky to start at UNI. He was not clutch and he made it very easy for every other player on the floor to be defended.

Opposing teams knew they didn't have to double team him, so MG would take these wild . ass layups that he threw off the top of the back board.

If you are comparing Bolton to Gessell, then that tells me you think Bolton is awful.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Mike Gessell was definitely not a legitimate P5 starter. He was one of the worst PG's in Iowa history. Some Hawk fans will argue this, but I for one believe he would have been lucky to start at UNI. He was not clutch and he made it very easy for every other player on the floor to be defended.

Opposing teams knew they didn't have to double team him, so MG would take these wild . ass layups that he threw off the top of the back board.

If you are comparing Bolton to Gessell, then that tells me you think Bolton is awful.
I'm not comparing them at all but that is one interesting take.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It was posted that he is not consistent with his 3 point shot and would likely move to point guard next year. A better fit for him than his current role. It is hard to for me to classify a guard who can't hit 3 pointers with consistency a legitimate P5 starter.

Again, I am not claiming to know much about cyclone basketball. I am taking an interest though.

So Connor isn't a legitimate P5 starter?

P

PeacefulRival

I'm not comparing them at all but that is one interesting take.

Do you think Gessell was a P5 point guard? I will give you a pass if you do, but I don't know how anyone could have watched that 4 years of basketball and believe he wasn't a huge detriment to the rest of the team.

P

PeacefulRival

He made 52 3's last year but OK

I don't have an adverse opinion to Bolton. I'm still trying to learn more about the cyclone players. With that being said, you saying he made 52 threes last year is misleading. His big games were against Colgate and Nebraska. His 3 point % was still just ok. I am probably pulling this information from the same place as you pulled the 52 threes stat.

We will see how he shoots from 3 the remainder of the season as B12 games get underway. For now, I would think even die hard cyclone fans can see he is not a consistent 3 point shooter.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't have an adverse opinion to Bolton. I'm still trying to learn more about the cyclone players. With that being said, you saying he made 52 threes last year is misleading. His big games were against Colgate and Nebraska. His 3 point % was still just ok. I am probably pulling this information from the same place as you pulled the 52 threes stat.

We will see how he shoots from 3 the remainder of the season as B12 games get underway. For now, I would think even die hard cyclone fans can see he is not a consistent 3 point shooter.

A year full of stats is not misleading

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You are so F***in right on the money....shooting a basketball is not a learned skill....You can either shoot or you cant...When I was in junior high I could make 90 out of 100 free throws...which was the best in school...did I practice...HELL NO ...I just went up to the free throw line and made the shots....Naturally of course...great shooters are born not made.....
Glad nobody told shayock not to practice his shooting in his sit year.

P

PeacefulRival

A year full of stats is not misleading

Maybe or Maybe not. I believe you have to look at the competition level and shooting % with the 52 3's. The shooting percentage is not awful, but not good either. I am too lazy to look up how many attempts he had against who. He likely got a whole lot more attempts against bad defensive teams like Colgate, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Do you think Gessell was a P5 point guard? I will give you a pass if you do, but I don't know how anyone could have watched that 4 years of basketball and believe he wasn't a huge detriment to the rest of the team.
I would say Mike could have been with the right coach. I dont think he warranted 130 out of 134 starts, that's for sure.
He probably could have transferred and had a nice career at a non P5 like Wes Eikmeier to tell you the truth but he liked his coach and playing with Woody.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Maybe or Maybe not. I believe you have to look at the competition level and shooting % with the 52 3's. The shooting percentage is not awful, but not good either. I am too lazy to look up how many attempts he had against who. He likely got a whole lot more attempts against bad defensive teams like Colgate, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

OK now take out his bad shooting games. Lol cmon

P

PeacefulRival

I would say Mike could have been with the right coach. I dont think he warranted 130 out of 134 starts, that's for sure.
He probably could have transferred and had a nice career at a non P5 like Wes Eikmeier to tell you the truth but he liked his coach and playing with Woody.

I had not considered the coaching aspect of MG. It could have made a difference for him.

I do hope Bolton playing point guard and shooting less 3's will result in a better shooting %. As other posters have said, it looks like there are holes that will need to be filled through transfer portal for the team to have an optimistic 20-21 season.

P

PeacefulRival

OK now take out his bad shooting games. Lol cmon

OK, I'll do the work:

Big 10 games 24-70 30% shooting
* I don't know your history on the Big 10, but lots of cyclone fans call the Big 10 the worst conference in basketball and football

Wisconsin (2 games) 1-9
Maryland (2 games) 1-4
Michigan (2 games) 3-4
Iowa (1game) 1-6
Nebraska (2 games) 3-9
Purdue (2 games) 7-14
Rutgers (2 games) 4-9
Indiana (1 game) 2-5
illinois (2 games) 1-8
MSU (1 game) 0-2
Northwestern (1 game) 2-5
Minnesota (2 games) 0-2
OSU (1 game) 2-5

Non Big 10 Games 28-74 38%:
Non P5 Games 21-45 47%
P5 Games 7-29 24%

The teams you play against very much matter, so the number of 3 pointers you make must have some context if you are playing in a P5 conference.

I don't have an axe to grind with bolton, but he is not a good 3 point shooter. He is below average at best.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
OK, I'll do the work:

Big 10 games 24-70 30% shooting
* I don't know your history on the Big 10, but lots of cyclone fans call the Big 10 the worst conference in basketball and football

Wisconsin (2 games) 1-9
Maryland (2 games) 1-4
Michigan (2 games) 3-4
Iowa (1game) 1-6
Nebraska (2 games) 3-9
Purdue (2 games) 7-14
Rutgers (2 games) 4-9
Indiana (1 game) 2-5
illinois (2 games) 1-8
MSU (1 game) 0-2
Northwestern (1 game) 2-5
Minnesota (2 games) 0-2
OSU (1 game) 2-5

Non Big 10 Games 28-74 38%:
Non P5 Games 21-45 47%
P5 Games 7-29 24%

The teams you play against very much matter, so the number of 3 pointers you make must have some context if you are playing in a P5 conference.

I don't have an axe to grind with bolton, but he is not a good 3 point shooter. He is below average at best.

Dang look at what he did vs Michigan and Purdue! Thanks for the info

P

PeacefulRival

Dang look at what he did vs Michigan and Purdue! Thanks for the info

Dang...look what he did agains Depaul 0-6, Bradley 2-8, and Dequesne 2-7. You make the argument of taking out his best games without taking out his worst games and then you point out his best games.

No hate coming at you though. All the best to you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron