Peloton Ad

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know, my point was that the lady in the ad did not need the bike because she was already looking good.

Sure. But I don't think overweight people exist in the Peloton universe. That's part of the reason the commercial is so incredibly stupid. It's like they're trying to split the difference between selling a workout lifestyle for beautiful people but also as a means of self improvement and getting in shape. Whatever they were shooting for it missed the mark pretty badly.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Also wouldn't the ad make more sense with an overweight woman riding the bike for a year and showing the progress she made?

This lady already looks good and a year later still looks good.

I think that was part of the push back. She was already super fit and making it seem like she had a "journey" to better fitness? Took you a year to make no visible progress, lol. Also her sort of......approval-seeking behavior toward the spouse, like she's doing this for him. That's a little icky. I've gotten plenty of workout stuff for gifts - have stuff I want this year - nothing wrong with that if the person wants it. But if DH got me a workout bike so I could look better for him because that's what he wants......nah.

Though I think had they cast someone of a bigger body size.......it'd be even more outrage. Next time show her trying to workout at 5am or getting interrupted during naptime or while a toddler is trying to climb all over it. That would be more relatable. Also, because it would good to know if the toddler can ride too. Otherwise nobody's getting anything done.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Nothing like social media to tell us HOW we should feel about a product and how outraged we should be (smh). It may be a dumb commercial - but not any more dumb than the Lexus commercial where the husband buys his wife a car for x-mas. It was dumb, only because I cannot relate to that. I am in a one-income home (wife has health issues) & am on a teacher's salary, so the Lexus commercial, while well-produced, is "dumb" to me. However, I support everyone's right to disagree with me & am not trying to tell anyone how outraged they should be over Lexus and their ad.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
My problem with this ad, and other ones like this is they are always in a HUGE house that most people can't afford, and you are trying to sell a bike that costs like 2500 not including the membership per month, and you use an actress that obviously works out before getting this bike. Not many people can relate to that situation.
Just like the one where the couple lives in a multi million dollar house in Aspen, CO, and the husband buys 2 $60,000 GMCs.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
My problem with this ad, and other ones like this is they are always in a HUGE house that most people can't afford, and you are trying to sell a bike that costs like 2500 not including the membership per month, and you use an actress that obviously works out before getting this bike. Not many people can relate to that situation.

I can’t believe an ad lied to me

• Funny
Reactions: Doc and dawgpound

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think that was part of the push back. She was already super fit and making it seem like she had a "journey" to better fitness? Took you a year to make no visible progress, lol. Also her sort of......approval-seeking behavior toward the spouse, like she's doing this for him. That's a little icky. I've gotten plenty of workout stuff for gifts - have stuff I want this year - nothing wrong with that if the person wants it. But if DH got me a workout bike so I could look better for him because that's what he wants......nah.

Though I think had they cast someone of a bigger body size.......it'd be even more outrage. Next time show her trying to workout at 5am or getting interrupted during naptime or while a toddler is trying to climb all over it. That would be more relatable. Also, because it would good to know if the toddler can ride too. Otherwise nobody's getting anything done.

While I don't disagree with any of this, we are talking about a thirty second commercial here. Hard to develop a ton of depth of character in thirty seconds.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If they had shown naked before/after pictures I would have been on board. I couldn't see progress. Why would I buy soemthing that makes no visible difference after a year of dedicated use?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If they had shown naked before/after pictures I would have been on board. I couldn't see progress. Why would I buy soemthing that makes no visible difference after a year of dedicated use?

Like someone else said, we don't know the back story. Maybe the Peleton enabled her to go on a Twinkie/Dr. Pepper/bacon sandwich diet and maintain her figure...

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
While I don't disagree with any of this, we are talking about a thirty second commercial here. Hard to develop a ton of depth of character in thirty seconds.

oh definitely. I think they just tried to do as jbindm said and it falls flat. It's just weird to me. What did she gain or how did it change her? She did a tri? Got into a consistent workout with a busy lifestyle? Spend less time on the stupid vlogging and show me how it helped her reach a goal or how it's way better than the gym because you can get 20 minutes in while dinner is going and your kids are playing. It just seems very dramatic and IDK, cringey? You're nervous to get on the thing but then document every ride to show your hubby how much you loved it. All while looking very pained in a room that makes me want to know where you live that seems both near tropical and all four seasons weather. Not outrage worthy but definitely parody worthy. I hope SNL takes advantage.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
oh definitely. I think they just tried to do as jbindm said and it falls flat. It's just weird to me. What did she gain or how did it change her? She did a tri? Got into a consistent workout with a busy lifestyle? Spend less time on the stupid vlogging and show me how it helped her reach a goal or how it's way better than the gym because you can get 20 minutes in while dinner is going and your kids are playing. It just seems very dramatic and IDK, cringey? You're nervous to get on the thing but then document every ride to show your hubby how much you loved it. All while looking very pained in a room that makes me want to know where you live that seems both near tropical and all four seasons weather. Not outrage worthy but definitely parody worthy. I hope SNL takes advantage.

I think had they cut out her showing him the video at the end it would have been more tolerable. I agree the part at the end of feeling the need review her progress and thank him was very odd.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Sure. But I don't think overweight people exist in the Peloton universe. That's part of the reason the commercial is so incredibly stupid. It's like they're trying to split the difference between selling a workout lifestyle for beautiful people but also as a means of self improvement and getting in shape. Whatever they were shooting for it missed the mark pretty badly.
The ad is not offensive at all, but as you point out, does illustrate what Peloton sells.

I don’t think they’ve missed the mark too badly. Peloton has fought against being viewed as an exercise equipment company. Imo they’re embracing being a status symbol and “community” for healthy, well-off people.

Also, not many “health” brands advertise with unhealthy people imo. It’s generally inshape people using equipment or consuming things

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Newsflash. People getting in shape are not their target audience. That would be women with high income house holds and selling them fancy houses, good looking people, etc.

• Winner
Reactions: heitclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I think they might have missed their window being off last week for Thanksgiving and the Internet already having their fun with it. Not many fresh takes left to be had, but we'll see. They have some really funny women in the cast and Jennifer Lopez is hosting so maybe they take a shot at it.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Just like the one where the couple lives in a multi million dollar house in Aspen, CO, and the husband buys 2 $60,000 GMCs.

Oh, I don't know. Every Christmas morning, the first thing I do is look out the window to my driveway to see if there is a brand new Lexus with a giant bow on top. Hasn't happened yet, but I have my fingers crossed for this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron