Oddly Specific Things You Would Want To Go Back In Time To Witness or Be A Part Of

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
1) The first time an English person dropped a sugar cube in to their tea (maybe 1600’s?)

2)The first party in Iowa where clandestine lab Iowa cooked meth was busted out and introduced to the masses (maybe ‘96?, ‘97?)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Intriguing. Thread titled could be revised as a "Late Thursday OT." with a snappy @Angie-like subtitle, then the current title in the intro.

Sorry for the sidetracking-structural post. I'll ponder the actual question for a bit.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
(1.) The first time a cat killed a rodent/bird around a band of hunter-gatherers or early farmers and they were like... Hey, that creature is kind of useful and pretty cute.

(2.) I would have wanted to be at the Academy that night this happened...

According to Diogenes Laërtius, when Plato gave the tongue-in-cheek definition of man as "featherless bipeds," Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man," and so the Academy added "with broad flat nails" to the definition.

(3.) Looking over the shoulder towards the typewriter of the reporter who wrote this...

The "Cyclones" name dates back to 1895. That year, Iowa suffered an unusually high number of devastating cyclones (as tornadoes were called at the time). In September, the football team from what was then Iowa Agricultural College traveled to Northwestern University and defeated that team by a score of 36-0. The next day, the Chicago Tribune's headline read "Struck by a Cyclone: It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town."[2] The article began, "Northwestern might as well have tried to play football with an Iowa cyclone as with the Iowa team it met yesterday." The nickname stuck.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
1) The first time an English person dropped a sugar cube in to their tea (maybe 1600’s?)

2)The first party in Iowa where clandestine lab Iowa cooked meth was busted out and introduced to the masses (maybe ‘96?, ‘97?)

It may sound odd, but WWII. I just think it was an amazing time in this country. An age of deprivation and making do with what you got on the home front, for sure, and horrors overseas, but also a sense of the country as a team pulling together toward one cause with the assurance in your mind that you were on the right side of history, even when it didn't look like we had a snowball's chance of prevailing. Now to be totally honest, I wouldn't want to be in the fighting, because that was brutal and no place to wish to be. But the sense of one country pulling together toward a common cause is what was special about it, and so different from the petty bickering and fighting among ourselves we see today.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
The Library of Alexandria. Use my cell phone to take pictures of all the scrolls that would later be destroyed.

Go back to the time of Jesus and use my cell phone (in a hidden pocket under my robes) to record what he actually said. The Gospels only have later (much much later) opinions of what he said, third- or fourth-person accounts.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'd like to have been along when the first fur traders arrived at Madeline Island in Lake Superior. That territory must have been amazing back then, with 70 and 80 foot tall hemlocks common. Not to mention the pristine blue water and the abundance of wildlife.

Echoing @UnCytely's thought, it would have been fun to have been with the disciples when Jesus appeared to them after the Resurrection. Imagine their thoughts - "Wow, He wasn't kidding!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’d like to be there at the ice arena that fateful day in 1994 so I could yell “LOOK OUT!!!” to America’s sweetheart Nancy Kerrigan.

I'd take an ipod back to when Tanya Harding started crying because her laces broke during a performance, with The Simpsons' Nelson's iconic laugh out over the crowd.

Reactions: Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
These are pretty modern, but to be at the Viking Saint playoff game with the rediculous walk off touchdown would be neat. Watch everyone lose their collective minds.

That has to be as close as humans can get to the feelings dogs have when they see their owner return home.

Also, if I could be the person who caught Bartolo Colon's homerun that would likely take the cake.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The first time someone found the Grand Canyon. Like they're walking along foraging for food and all of a sudden, "Whoa!"

The first time someone was dared/desperate enough to eat a lobster. "I'm so hungry, even that giant, gross, sea spider looks appetizing."

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The first time someone found the Grand Canyon. Like they're walking along foraging for food and all of a sudden, "Whoa!"

The first time someone was dared/desperate enough to eat a lobster. "I'm so hungry, even that giant, gross, sea spider looks appetizing."
I was gonna say the Grand Canyon thing.