Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good luck. I've found moderation has helped me the most. Instead of 5 pieces of pizza in the past, it's no more than 2. I have found it so hard to completely cut out a specific food or food type. I'm not losing as fast as I'd like (I can stand to lose about 25), but it's slow and steady and hopefully will stay off if I stay moderated.

I like this approach. Start with little things such as:
-Portion control
-drink more water
-if you drink a can of pop a day, try dropping down to 4-5 a week
-don't eat food after 8 PM

My biggest issue is lots of foods
Skipping to the end to share my ever-important opinion.....

Regardless of your dietary tribe (vegan, paleo, carnivore, balanced, etc.) I think nutritional density is an ever-important theory to keep in mind. The number of empty, wasted, unfulfilling calories we eat is mind boggling. I could easily eat 5000 calories in a day and still feel hungry.

That theory helps me (sometimes....) make good decisions. Is that huge bowl of cereal really worth 500 calories to my body at 8pm? Or would i be more satisfied with a can of salmon & an avocado? If you're hungry.... eat. But make it count nutritionally so you're not hungry again for a while.

This is something I struggle with. I can eat a lot but not feel "full". However, I'm also a picky eater so trying to find things that fill me up that are good for me is tough. I'm not overweight, but I'm definitely not toned like I used to be. Basically just "dad bodding it" at almost 35.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I like this approach. Start with little things such as:
-Portion control
-drink more water
-if you drink a can of pop a day, try dropping down to 4-5 a week
-don't eat food after 8 PM

My biggest issue is lots of foods

This is something I struggle with. I can eat a lot but not feel "full". However, I'm also a picky eater so trying to find things that fill me up that are good for me is tough. I'm not overweight, but I'm definitely not toned like I used to be. Basically just "dad bodding it" at almost 35.

Fasting for 24 (or more) hours is something I've done to recalibrate what it means to feel hungry. After that experience, I find myself eating less in the subsequent days.

It's something i told myself i would do weekly... but of course I haven't.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Fats and proteins are not your enemy. Sugar and carbs (fries, bread, potatoes, etc) are most certainly your enemy.

I'm sure you've been told that before, but I can tell you it worked for me.
My goodness this
I'd advise some sort of calorie counting. It's helped me quite a bit and helped me understand why I'm failing at times too. Even if it's just to do for a little while to get an idea how many calories per day/week you're eating now, and how you need to change it to fit your goals.

Running has helped my back, knees, and hips quite a bit. I started with a couch to 5k, I think it was a 3 month buildup. Had some injury setbacks but eventually got there.

Everyone has something different that works for them, it's really just finding something you can stick with. Good luck, it'll be hard as hell but worth it.
no no please stay the heck away from calorie counting. ThT is the worst thing you can do. Focus on where you get your calories from. If your metabolism is optimized, it won’t even matter if you overeat. Heck it won’t even matter if you over eat for consecutive days in a row. Calorie counting will help you lose weight initially, but it won’t fix your metabolism.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Fasting for 24 (or more) hours is something I've done to recalibrate what it means to feel hungry. After that experience, I find myself eating less in the subsequent days.

It's something i told myself i would do weekly... but of course I haven't.

I've been bad lately all around. Just had a breakfast slice of Casey's pizza...oops. Need to start doing little things such as walking more, not eating later at night, cutting down overall amount of soda/booze.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We knew we were in trouble before ever leaving the hospital. He wouldn’t sleep in our nice quiet room. Take him to the nursery with the lights and lots of noise and he was as happy as could be. Guess the nursery prepared him for the frat house

I suspected we were in for it when all four ultrasounds the techs commented on how active the baby was. That and think he's inherited his mom's fondness for cuddles so he's great while you hold him and then like thanks but no when you put him down.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Someone has probably mentioned this but Intermittent Fasting seems like the simplest way. (Or at least here are some links besides just mentioned) It doesn't require tons of 'counting' and is rolled up with all kinds of other "discipline" and motivation feedback loops. Combine it with semi-regular exercise and possibly Keto etc and you can't go wrong.

Intermittent Fasting
Lots of background at https://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/, basic descriptions here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/index
http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/WhenToEat.html (then open PDF)

The forums end up with lots of questions ('does X break my fast?') and versions, but quite straightforward, and the many ways "work", for the simple reason that it naturally restricts your calories a bit and reduces the extra snacking, esp at night. For example, 16:8 (pick 8 hours to eat, noon-8pm) seems simplest, then some get into 20:4 or 'one meal a day'. There are other versions like 5:2 which is two low calorie days per week but again, seems more tricky as things will come up ('I need to skip today', etc) Pick an 8-hr window, focus on protein and vegetables.

Re exercise, I've been persuaded that cardio is pretty optional or inefficient compared to other compound-lifting weightlifting (e.g. Stonglifts 5x5 or push-pull-leg, etc), since those (squat, bench, deadlift) work large muscle groups and have a cardio benefit. Again, those are good bc they are simple and manageable for disciplined routines. At least not cardio as the 'primary' method. https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref

Re Keto I watched the Magic Pill on Netflix and while a bit melodramatic it was persuasive if you want to use that as a restriction to keep you on straight and narrow.

Good luck man!!

Just to add another example to the "you're not alone" group - I'm like many others here. My "normal" body weight seems to be 195-200 (I'm 6'2") but I hit 230 earlier this year mostly due to the fact that I'm traveling 100+ nights annually for work. So eating well is very difficult for me. I got down to 185 2 years ago after training for a half marathon and working out much more. The above intermittent fasting has worked well. I haven't lost a ton of weight (currently around 220) but I've stayed more consistent over the past 6+ months while not really watching what I eat. I just eat less and workout more. I skip breakfast and have a cup or two of black coffee instead. And then eat lunch and dinner with limited snacking. Next step is to more carefully track and watch what I eat but that's been the most difficult part - after a 12-14 day on the road, the last thing I want to do is sit down and eat a salad and still feel hungry.

Goal is to get back to 205-210 in the coming months.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Everyone is different.

I personally need to know the how’s and why’s and then have a strict proven plan of attacked I can follow to the “T”.

Others might want/need to be more gradual and may not do well with a lot of rules and/or immediate changes.

The OP has know what type of person they are and what will work best for them.

I would argue that the problem with dabbling in diet changes is that many people have certain food intolerances and/or foods that trigger them to eat poorly. Both can affect cravings to eat poorly and also negatively affect their mental state (which can adversely affect whether they make needed long term changes, or not).

Yeah I'm not saying to start into a strict regiment or something. OP said it was like fast food every day...maybe start with backing off of that before the official plan begins.

I liken to NYE resolutions. If it's a thing that's an issue, you can work to improve at any time.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's luck of the draw. Mom said I slept through at TWO WEEKS and the baby book proves it. My youngest brother she said it was two YEARS. My child seems to have ignored his mother and father's genes that love sleep and decided to take after his uncle. This week has just been a killer though, don't know if it's a growth spurt, the tooth that came in, or catching up from his ear infection but he's been up about every two hours and wants food. It's like the newborn game all over again. And we'd just started getting used to one wakeup at ~4am. Anyway, glad to know I'm not alone.

Our oldest was a great sleeper. Started sleeping through the night at 2 months and kept it up until a sleep regression around age 2. We figured our second would be the complete opposite.

Well, he started out sleeping through the night at about 1 month. A solid 8 hours every night without a peep. But around 5 months he went through a sleep regression and it took 2-3 months for him to get it figured out. We're in a groove right now where he's sleeping about 7 hours at a clip, but we know more sleep regressions are coming.

Every kid is different, as you say. Ours are great sleepers, in general, but go through phases when they're not sleeping.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I also was discouraged by spending time putting together a program myself and then getting to a packed gym where I had to do things as different items were available. I'd spend an hour and half doing 45 minutes of work and I just got sick of it so I got my own stuff.

I still miss the old Nautilus machine circuits from the 1980's. They were designed and set up for just what you are talking about. One set and no rest and proceed directly to the next machine. It was a great system for combining strength training and cardio. You could always repeat the circuit. Of course the worst of the freeweight guys started liking some of the Nautilus machines and would camp their ass on one for their multiple sets while resting minutes on end between each and never letting their ass leave the seat for anyone else actually doing the circuit.

Retired now so can go to gym during off peak times and avoid the competition for machines and weights. Plus less muscle puppies glancing disapprovingly at my relatively light weight routine. I am in the process of rehabbing two shoulder rotator cuffs, throw that in with my age and a 10K runner body type I ain't pushing any yuge weights. :rolleyes:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My goodness this

no no please stay the heck away from calorie counting. ThT is the worst thing you can do. Focus on where you get your calories from. If your metabolism is optimized, it won’t even matter if you overeat. Heck it won’t even matter if you over eat for consecutive days in a row. Calorie counting will help you lose weight initially, but it won’t fix your metabolism.

I can relate to this. Farrell's put my metabolism into overdrive. My goal with the program was to drop 15 lbs. I rolled right past that, but once I got to 30 lbs I was very satisfied and loosened up my eating to enjoy some things I hadn't before (like sweet potato fries, occasional desserts, etc). My metabolism was working so well, it honestly didn't matter what I would eat. I had one week at a twins game where I had 3 hot dogs (with no buns) and potato chips with a couple beers. At the end of that week, I was down 4 lbs from the previous week.

It's actually gotten to the point where it's annoying. It's hard to eat enough calories to keep my body satisfied. I'm burning about 2000 calories a day just being alive, then add in the 500 calories I typically burn in a workout and I'm having to eat 2500-3000 calories a day just to keep pace. Don't get me wrong, it's a great problem to have, but it also feels like I'm eating all...the...time.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I would control your habits not your diet, and drink lots and lots of water.

1) Water is seriously the best way to lose weight. People refrain from it because losing water weight is easy weight. But if you drink 96 oz of water a day (pretty much 5 bottles of water a day) you will lose more weight than refraining from it. Water controls and stimulates your metabolism. You are getting older and like the rest of your body, your metabolism isnt what it was in your 20's. Plus and this is huge for you. Water is a natural lubricant. You will be amazed after 1 week how much your knees, hips, ankles and back will fee by simply drinking till you pee clear every single day.

2) control your habits. Grab a pack of gum, every time you feel the need to eat (out of habit, not because you are hungry) chew gum. Habitual eating is tough to get over. Example, Cyclones are on, I better cook a pizza and eat it during the game. Cyclones will play and you will watch them regardless if you eat that pizza or not.

3) Don't over do it exercising just because you are determined to lose weight. Your body is use to you doing no forms of exercise so it isn't use to the calorie demand for energy. Start with walking 15 minutes early in the morning, or over lunch break. Something to stimulate the body's demand to burn calories.

I use to be able to lose 5 pounds just by thinking about losing 5 pounds. While fortunately I have been able to keep my weight the same as I have always been I have found that chewing gum to battle the habit to eat and constantly drinking water is pretty easy and simple tricks to continue living the lifestyle I do.

Best of luck man! Once you get hang of it, it'll be old hat and you'll look back and be extremely proud of yourself.

Reactions: khardbored

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I am sure a lot of this has been said but here is my advice from my experience. Just note the most important thing anyone can tell you is BE CONSISTENT! Find what works for you and be consistent with it (both with your diet and exercise). Better to slowly and consistently lose what then to yo-yo.

Exercise:
LIFT WEIGHTS! Find a good beginner weightlifting program and get after it. As a beginner with some extra bodyfat you will be able to put on muscle while simultaneously losing fat. More muscle = more calories burned.

Cardio: Find something you enjoy and go for it! If you're knees hurt I wouldn't recommend pounding away on a treadmill. Biking and swimming are much easier on the knees.

Diet:
-Make slow changes. Like eating more fruits and veggies and slowly integrate more and more healthy foods. Veggies fill you up with little calorie cost.
-Don't completely cut off foods. Still eat things you enjoy just in moderate amounts. Completely cutting out foods isn't sustainable. Try to learn to control your eating habits.
-Focus on eating when your eating. It sounds weird but focus on chewing up your food and eating slowly. It really does help.
-Cut out liquid calories. This is a hard one if you like beer like me but at the very least cut out any pop and sugary drinks and limit beer consumption. Those calories add up quick and don't leave you feeling full.

You got this!

Reactions: aauummm

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I am going through a similar weight loss transition. In high school I was a four sport athlete and weighed about 175. Now at 34, I peaked out at about 255. Ate fast food or junk nearly every meal and could hardly keep up with my kids. I decided to do the whole 30 diet in late August and liked it enough to keep going. With a few cheat meals and drinks after the first month. I’m down to 215 and hope to get to 200 by the end of the year. The most important thing is I’ve learned to look at ingredients and keep track of what I’m eating. The weight loss was nearly all from healthy eating and now I’m starting to exercise more. Walking on the track, treadmill, some free weights, and at home workouts. Nothing extreme yet. I like the app called 8fit because you can do at home workouts that are at all different levels. I’m doing the easy workouts that last about 10 minutes and burn 200+ calories. Check it out, it’s a good way to get back into exercising after not doing anything for years. Good luck.

I’d also recommend 8fit. A busy schedule can quickly become an excuse for not exercising. 8fit is an awesome way to get in a quick 15 min workout that you can do anywhere. 15 min may not seem like much, but it’s better than nothing.

80sClone

Dec 29, 2014
If you have any regression after a good start .... don't post it ... you'll get over evaluated and not make the draft.

steveocy

Jun 19, 2006
In 2012 I was up to around 215, by the fall of 2013 I was down below 160. At just shy of six foot the 160 was very hard to maintain and after about a year I was pretty consistently in the 170-175 range. Last fall I hurt my back. It was three months before I could sleep in my bed again after that and six months before I was back to ~90% (it may never get back to pre-injury).

After July 4th this year I was at 205 and I am now back to 180, give or take my morning after coffee time. My thoughts:

Get MyFitnessPal or similar app, a good food scale, and a good set of measuring cups. Use the app and the scale to record literally everything you eat and drink. Measure it all out, don't just estimate. Do this for a month to get the baseline of what you are eating now.

Intermittent Fasting. I do a 16/8. I can do this easily because I have never been a breakfast person. Coffee and go for me. I eat ~1700 calories (when losing weight) during the 8 hours . Lunch at noon and an afternoon snack comes in at 700 Calories. I then have up to 1000 at night. I know that IF is not for everyone and just use it as a suggestion. My willpower is the strongest in the morning. By the time my willpower is low I have plenty of calories left to use.

I don't actually have any restrictions for my diet. I eat what I want, I just make sure at the end of the day I am below the 1700. I have a fitness tracker so sometimes I eat back my calories, but usually I don't. I don't do much exercise. If I really want to get below 180 consistently I need to start. In the past that was the only way for me to go really low.

Two online resources that helped me more than any other. Nerd Fitness (along with the Nerd Fitness Rebellion message boards) and The Art of Manliness. Nerd Fitness is great for information and motivation. The Art of Manliness helps so much for overall life and putting everything together.

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
Im going to donate $4 per pound you lose from November to April with max of $200. If you lose the 50 pounds and keep it off till August 1 I will donate another $200 for a total of $400. I will let Chris pick the charity he wants me to send the check(s) to.