15 yd penalty that killed 1st drive

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's one of several changes in the name of "safety" that will lead to the degradation of football.

We could just make it flag football, but I doubt anyone would watch. And even flag football would still have injuries.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just saw it 'real time' on the FSN replay of the game....by definition it fit although the commenters said it's still up to the discretion of the refs.

Go figure.

Should have run it on that 3rd and 1 and Jones would have had a nice gain too without the drop and possibly would have scored depending on defensive angles.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's one of several changes in the name of "safety" that will lead to the degradation of football.
Easy for the tough guy sitting behind a computer screen to say.

I don't think people actually understand the collisions that happen during football games. This isn't an 8 man game in BFE...these are elite athletes. This is every organization which oversees football trying to make sure they still exist in 25 years and aren't sued into the ground.

If you want raw violence, go watch some UFC.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If people want football to continue, they need to make these sorts of rules.

I tend to agree, however, if you take all the violence out of it and make it like two hand touch football.... nobody will watch.

But if you don't make it safer, nobody will play it anymore. So it's a very fine line to walk.

I know middle schools all over the state of Iowa are struggling to even field football teams. And it's not all the small schools either. There are some decent sized schools that are really struggling to get kids out for football. And guys like Andrew Luck and others retiring so early because they still want to have a life sure won't help the numbers.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Maybe the tackler should have stopped running:rolleyes:. Not anything close to an excessive hit, as the UNI guy was the one initiating the contact.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I imagine this will kill the game just like horse collar tackles and targeting did.

The game will change, and the players/fans will adapt, but it's not like college or pro football is in danger of having people stop watching. We did just sell a record amount of season tickets.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
If people want football to continue, they need to make these sorts of rules.
I don't think people will disagree with your comment. The problem is the lack of consistency from game-to-game and ref-to-ref. I still have no idea sometimes what a catch is or fumble is.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It was within reason of the rule, but that rule isn’t reasonable.

And the killer on that drive was Jones drop on 3rd and 1 a few plays later.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I imagine this will kill the game just like horse collar tackles and targeting did.

The game will change, and the players/fans will adapt, but it's not like college or pro football is in danger of having people stop watching. We did just sell a record amount of season tickets.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but if it continues to get watered down, it will become difficult to watch IMO.

This block by Lang is a textbook block. You could not teach a kid any better on how to block someone than what Lang did. And the defender was in pursuit of the runner and could have made the tackle too if not blocked, so he was clearly still in the play.

Is Lang really supposed to look at his eyes and make sure he sees him coming before making the block, and if he's not looking at Lang, is Lang supposed to hold off from making the block? None of this makes any sense.

It was a bad call.... period. Which is fine, bad calls happen. But there are quite a few people on here actually defending the call based on how the new rule is written. Really? Then there really aren't any good blocks anymore as far as I'm concerned.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What is the rule? He wasn't coming back he was parallel. He didnt lead with his head. Thats seems like a BS call he hit on the front of the body.
Blind-Side Block
ARTICLE 7. A blind-side block is an open field block against an opponent that is initiated from outside the opponent’s field of vision, or otherwise in such a manner that the opponent cannot reasonably defend himself against the block.

Blind-Side Block
ARTICLE 18. No player shall deliver a blind-side block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact. (Exceptions: (1) the runner; (2) a receiver in the act of attempting to make a catch.) Note: In addition, if this action meets all the elements of targeting, it is a blind-slide block with targeting (Rule 9-1-3 and 9-1-4).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Blind-Side Block
ARTICLE 7. A blind-side block is an open field block against an opponent that is initiated from outside the opponent’s field of vision, or otherwise in such a manner that the opponent cannot reasonably defend himself against the block.

Blind-Side Block
ARTICLE 18. No player shall deliver a blind-side block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact. (Exceptions: (1) the runner; (2) a receiver in the act of attempting to make a catch.) Note: In addition, if this action meets all the elements of targeting, it is a blind-slide block with targeting (Rule 9-1-3 and 9-1-4).

So I'm correct in that Lang has to make the decision of whether or not the defender sees him coming or not? And if Lang thinks the defender can't see him, he needs to let up and allow the defender to possibly make the tackle from behind, in which the runner also can't see the tackler coming..... but that's ok in that case.

Makes sense. So you can you tackle someone from the blindside? Yep! But not block someone. Okay, got it.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't entirely disagree with you, but if it continues to get watered down, it will become difficult to watch IMO.

This block by Lang is a textbook block. You could not teach a kid any better on how to block someone than what Lang did. And the defender was in pursuit of the runner and could have made the tackle too if not blocked, so he was clearly still in the play.

Is Lang really supposed to look at his eyes and make sure he sees him coming before making the block, and if he's not looking at Lang, is Lang supposed to hold off from making the block? None of this makes any sense.

It was a bad call.... period. Which is fine, bad calls happen. But there are quite a few people on here actually defending the call based on how the new rule is written. Really? Then there really aren't any good blocks anymore as far as I'm concerned.
It used to be a textbook block, I think as the year goes on players will understand they can't blow people up on blindside blocks just like they know they can't hit people in the head.

I don't think it was a bad call based on the rule, subjective maybe, I do think the defender didn't see him coming and he nailed him with the block, that's what the rule is all about.

It's definitely possible that it's a bad rule though, but kind of hard to tell after one week.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Most players and coaches avoid blindside hits. Nobody wants to receive one so they avoid delivering one. Problem is there are a few that coach that crap. Sons old HS coach would have people peel back on special teams and head hunt people who weren’t looking. It’s doosh coaches like that that are killing the game.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Blind-Side Block

Blind-Side Block
I don’t understand how that block meets this definition. He comes at him from the front and blocks him. How else is someone supposed to block there. People have said to set a pick but that seems just as dangerous.

The responsibility for this type of play needs to fall on the defenders lack of awareness. Now if someone’s headhunting and coming from somewhere they can’t reasonably see that’s one thing but that’s not what this was.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yeah, football has gotten soft. Remember Billy Cole from The Last Boyscout? I don't remember seeing a flag thrown on that play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron