CBS: Big 12 expert picks

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Might as well enjoy our final season with CMC before he bolts to the Tiny 10 Lol

Yeah, Dodd's "bold prediction" is a bit — something, I'm not even sure. Gist is, Campbell will have another "better than usual season for ISU," then bolt, because of course nobody could possibly do better. o_O But he makes it sound like Campbell will leave for just any old Big Ten program that has an opening. Why not just say "Ohio State"? Not like he's leaving Iowa State to coach Rutgers or Illinois, just "because he could."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, Dodd's "bold prediction" is a bit — something, I'm not even sure. Gist is, Campbell will have another "better than usual season for ISU," then bolt, because of course nobody could possibly do better. o_O But he makes it sound like Campbell will leave for just any old Big Ten program that has an opening. Why not just say "Ohio State"? Not like he's leaving Iowa State to coach Rutgers or Illinois, just "because he could."

And it would have to be one of those two schools, everyone else is in pretty solid position in that conference. Which makes no sense.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And it would have to be one of those two schools, everyone else is in pretty solid position in that conference. Which makes no sense.

Agree. Those are the only "unstable" situations (maybe Maryland could be in the mix, I don't even care). He'd have to be thinking Ohio State is going to tank *badly* for it to happen next offseason ... and he projects ISU 3rd in the Big 12, like numerous analysts. Maybe if he predicted Iowa State to win the league title and finish 11-2, then maybe ...

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree. Those are the only "unstable" situations (maybe Maryland could be in the mix, I don't even care). He'd have to be thinking Ohio State is going to tank *badly* for it to happen next offseason ... and he projects ISU 3rd in the Big 12, like numerous analysts. Maybe if he predicted Iowa State to win the league title and finish 11-2, then maybe ...

There’s a reason Urban Meyer is still on campus...and it isn’t to recommend Matt Campbell to take over in the event Ryan Day fails (which he won’t, check out the recruiting rankings for the next three years).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There’s a reason Urban Meyer is still on campus...and it isn’t to recommend Matt Campbell to take over in the event Ryan Day fails (which he won’t, check out the recruiting rankings for the next three years).
This. From what I understand, CMC is a perfectionist and wants to make sure everything is done absolutely correctly. I mean this in a good way. Therefore he will need complete control. At a place like Ohio St, I don’t think that aspect is going to be in play.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Ehhh, someone always has to be "that guy" to predict Campbell to leave...it's an easy out for someone not wanting to make a bold prediction. How about picking them to win the conference, now that would be a bold prediction.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Chip Patterson can EBADs. I'll have what Ben and Barton are drinking, the Kool-Aid.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Might as well enjoy our final season with CMC before he bolts to the Tiny 10 Lol

It wouldn't bother me if they said "major program" or something. I'm realistic that a major program could come calling but it's not like CMC is going to be rebuilding at Illinois, Indiana or Rutgers next year when he just rebuilt ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Beyond the Dodds take, the O/U w/ ISU is solid, 3 are in the "underrated" category, and Patterson is the only one w/ iowa state as an overrated -- his explanation is within bounds, although I don't agree maintaining this level will be as daunting as he suggests. (Knocks on wood, of course).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
OU is going to be good but people forget about the massive talent they lost off of that o-line. Sure they have dudes that can fill the holes but I can actually see Hurts really struggling this year if he is forced into more passing situations.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Chip Patterson and Dennis Dodds think CMC will be moving on is a hot take. They are about two years late.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Chip Patterson and Dennis Dodds think CMC will be moving on is a hot take. They are about two years late.
My favorite is when CMC's name is tied to an SEC or Pac 12 job... Obviously people do their homework...

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
OU is going to be good but people forget about the massive talent they lost off of that o-line. Sure they have dudes that can fill the holes but I can actually see Hurts really struggling this year if he is forced into more passing situations.

I hate to keep bursting this bubble but Jalen Hurts has got a ****** rep this offseason because he’s not Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield. Guy is a top 10 QB in the game and is proven. He’s going to be really good this year. His ceiling is Heisman and his floor is probably 1st team all conference QB.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm guessing nobody edited that piece. If they did, they should be fired.

"Mike Collins is the only QB on the roster with playing experience, is injured, so that leaves coach Gary Patterson with a choice between unproven players Alex Dalton and Michael Collins to choose from."

Yikes.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I hate to keep bursting this bubble but Jalen Hurts has got a ****** rep this offseason because he’s not Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield. Guy is a top 10 QB in the game and is proven. He’s going to be really good this year. His ceiling is Heisman and his floor is probably 1st team all conference QB.

He's obviously a good player but he will most certainly be asked to do more with his arm this year than he has shown in the past. I honestly can see him struggling at times. If OU can run the ball at will, hurts will be more than fine.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm guessing nobody edited that piece. If they did, they should be fired.

"Mike Collins is the only QB on the roster with playing experience, is injured, so that leaves coach Gary Patterson with a choice between unproven players Alex Dalton and Michael Collins to choose from."

Yikes.

Geesh.

Is this better?

Mike Collins, the only QB on the roster with playing experience, is injured. That leaves coach Gary Paterson with a choice between unproven players Alex Delton and Max Duggan.

(Not sure who Alex "Dalton" is. Andy Dalton's brother, maybe?)

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Geesh.

Is this better?

Mike Collins, the only QB on the roster with playing experience, is injured. That leaves coach Gary Paterson with a choice between unproven players Alex Delton and Max Duggan.

(Not sure who Alex "Dalton" is. Andy Dalton's brother, maybe?)

Well, close. Patterson. But yeah, the original sentence is a trainwreck on so many levels.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron