NFL: *** Official Preseason Thread ***

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Wow. I support a player's right to get as much as they can. The NFL is a hard business and every play can be your last, so you have to strike while the iron is hot...
but damn, Dak.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Whether he's pushing for 34 million or 40 million, it's too much either way. I understand that's the going rate for an elite franchise QB. I just don't think he is one.

I still think the best solution for both teams is a short term deal (2-3 years) that averages around 25-28 million annually. It gets him a payday now and puts him in Kirk Cousins/Jimmy G territory, protects the Cowboys if he doesn't keep improving, and if he does develop into a top five QB then he can get paid like one right when he's entering his prime.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Whether he's pushing for 34 million or 40 million, it's too much either way. I understand that's the going rate for an elite franchise QB. I just don't think he is one.

I still think the best solution for both teams is a short term deal (2-3 years) that averages around 25-28 million annually. It gets him a payday now and puts him in Kirk Cousins/Jimmy G territory, protects the Cowboys if he doesn't keep improving, and if he does develop into a top five QB then he can get paid like one right when he's entering his prime.
He's not even a top ten QB. If Dallas pays him anything more than $30 mil, they are dumb. $30 mil is too much even.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He's not even a top ten QB. If Dallas pays him anything more than $30 mil, they are dumb. $30 mil is too much even.

I think he's fine as a second tier franchise QB. If the rest of the team is good then he'll be fine. But if he gets paid like a guy who's good enough to paper over the holes in the roster caused by his big cap number then he's being set up to fail. He's not the kind of QB that can put a subpar supporting cast on his back and carry them to the playoffs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/13/jim-irsay-andrew-luck-has-bone-injury/

Ugh. I generally like Jim Irsay, but I wish he would just keep his mouth shut when it comes to player injuries.

PFT did fail to include the full quote -

"I know everyone's had their questions about Andrew and that sort of thing, but I really feel very confident that he's going to find his way through this thing," Irsay said. "I think after the (Kevin) Durant things (that) everyone's erring on the side of caution, but quite frankly this is not even in the Achilles tendon. It's in another area. It's a bone. You know I'm not good at these things. ... It's a small little bone."

To me that quote looks like he either doesn't clearly understand the nature of Luck's injury (very possible) or he let something slip that he shouldn't have and tried to walk it back midquote by saying that "he's not good at these things".

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I really hope Dallas doesn't do something stupid and give Dak Prescott $40M per because it will reset the market and make the Chiefs pay Mahomes like $50M because he's WAY better than Dak.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I really hope Dallas doesn't do something stupid and give Dak Prescott $40M per because it will reset the market and make the Chiefs pay Mahomes like $50M because he's WAY better than Dak.

I don't think they will. I get the impression that Dallas is taking a hard line on the second contracts for Dak, Cooper and Zeke (if he gets one at all) and they're not going to reset the market for any of them. Maybe that changes once the season starts with Zeke still holding out, because if they struggle offensively then he's suddenly going to have all of the leverage. But for now they're not planning to make any of the three the highest paid player at their position.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It doesn't matter, really. It's more about the market and position, than the player. If he's a starting caliber qb, he's going to command a certain price. Plenty of teams would be willing to pay Dak $30 or more per season. If Dallas wants to secure him, they're going to have to pay that kind of money. The alternative is not pretty. 40 million? No. No way. But if/when this deal gets done, it's going to be at least 30 per year.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/13/jim-irsay-andrew-luck-has-bone-injury/

Ugh. I generally like Jim Irsay, but I wish he would just keep his mouth shut when it comes to player injuries.

PFT did fail to include the full quote -

"I know everyone's had their questions about Andrew and that sort of thing, but I really feel very confident that he's going to find his way through this thing," Irsay said. "I think after the (Kevin) Durant things (that) everyone's erring on the side of caution, but quite frankly this is not even in the Achilles tendon. It's in another area. It's a bone. You know I'm not good at these things. ... It's a small little bone."

To me that quote looks like he either doesn't clearly understand the nature of Luck's injury (very possible) or he let something slip that he shouldn't have and tried to walk it back midquote by saying that "he's not good at these things".
I know you're a Colts fan and so it's hard not to take the side of your own team, but I have a hard time not seeing Irsay is a scumbag.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It doesn't matter, really. It's more about the market and position, than the player. If he's a starting caliber qb, he's going to command a certain price. Plenty of teams would be willing to pay Dak $30 or more per season. If Dallas wants to secure him, they're going to have to pay that kind of money. The alternative is not pretty. 40 million? No. No way. But if/when this deal gets done, it's going to be at least 30 per year.

Not necessarily. Nick Foles just signed a four year deal that averages about 22 million annually (closer to 25 if he hits certain incentives). Are we sure that Dak is any better than Foles? Thirty million is the starting point for the top shelf guys. I'm not sure the Cowboys or any other team in the league believes that he's one of those players.

Having said that, there are multiple ways to structure a contract to make it look like more than it actually is. The Cowboys could shell out a huge amount up front and tie up the rest in partial guarantees and roster bonuses that will never trigger but will make the deal look like a monster on the surface.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know you're a Colts fan and so it's hard not to take the side of your own team, but I have a hard time not seeing Irsay is a scumbag.

Every NFL owner is. I'm not naive. But relative to others around the league I don't think he's all that bad.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not necessarily. Nick Foles just signed a four year deal that averages about 22 million annually (closer to 25 if he hits certain incentives). Are we sure that Dak is any better than Foles? Thirty million is the starting point for the top shelf guys. I'm not sure the Cowboys or any other team in the league believes that he's one of those players.

Having said that, there are multiple ways to structure a contract to make it look like more than it actually is. The Cowboys could shell out a huge amount up front and tie up the rest in partial guarantees and roster bonuses that will never trigger but will make the deal look like a monster on the surface.
Dak's age is a factor versus Foles. Foles has kicked around the league for quite a few years and nobody has ever been comfortable fully handing him the reins. That's affected his value. His talent is a known quantity. With Dak, he's young enough, that you're not only paying for what you've seen on the field, but also what you think he'll become. That alone increases his value.

And make no mistake, I'm not saying that Dak is definitely worth top 5 qb money. I'm saying that he is probably asking for that and may just get it, because that's what the market says he should be asking for.

It's a fine line for the team to walk. How do you tell your franchise qb, who you've expressed nothing but confidence in, that you don't think he's worth the money? There's a relationship to consider. And a guy like Dak, who was not a first round pick, and is still very young, can make significant waves for the organization if he feels slighted. The cowboys are in win now mode. Waves are not what they want now.

What I'm saying is that there are lots of factors that contribute to Dak being able to demand a bigger contract than he might have been able to get in other circumstances.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Dak's age is a factor versus Foles. Foles has kicked around the league for quite a few years and nobody has ever been comfortable fully handing him the reins. That's affected his value. His talent is a known quantity. With Dak, he's young enough, that you're not only paying for what you've seen on the field, but also what you think he'll become. That alone increases his value.

And make no mistake, I'm not saying that Dak is definitely worth top 5 qb money. I'm saying that he is probably asking for that and may just get it, because that's what the market says he should be asking for.

It's a fine line for the team to walk. How do you tell your franchise qb, who you've expressed nothing but confidence in, that you don't think he's worth the money? There's a relationship to consider. And a guy like Dak, who was not a first round pick, and is still very young, can make significant waves for the organization if he feels slighted. The cowboys are in win now mode. Waves are not what they want now.

What I'm saying is that there are lots of factors that contribute to Dak being able to demand a bigger contract than he might have been able to get in other circumstances.

Sure. And I don't know, maybe the Cowboys decide they're content going the Redskins/Kirk Cousins route and just let him go year to year on the franchise tag until he either proves himself as a top shelf QB who has earned his payday or they can cut bait and trade him or let someone else overpay him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron