Casey's Card Reader not Working

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I live on North side or CR and occasionally stop by Casey's in Robbins. Their card readers have not worked at any of their pumps for at least 90 days. That's crazy. It's not a huge store but they have 6 pumps and very little competition within 4-5 miles. I hate having to prepay and probably will do everything I can not to stop there again. Their employees say "we are on the list" for upgrades.

This has got to be costing them significant business. Just curious if this is happening at any of their other locations.

LurkingClone

Dec 13, 2017
Witness Protection
Don't know that I've had pay at pump problems. But all of the Casey's I've been to in the past year and tried to use Apple Pay inside at the register - about 8/10 times it doesn't work.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I only pre-pay these days - I'm too wary of card skimmers - but I've experienced issues with their card readers in their stores as well. There's one store I go to where the chip reader has never worked. I stopped at one two weekends ago where their card reader was working but "no cash back."

• Agree
Reactions: RoseClone

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I live on North side or CR and occasionally stop by Casey's in Robbins. Their card readers have not worked at any of their pumps for at least 90 days. That's crazy. It's not a huge store but they have 6 pumps and very little competition within 4-5 miles. I hate having to prepay and probably will do everything I can not to stop there again. Their employees say "we are on the list" for upgrades.

This has got to be costing them significant business. Just curious if this is happening at any of their other locations.

That has to be very poor management to allow something like that to go beyond 24 hours or a long weekend. I'm kind of surprised because overall it seems like Casey's is a very well run organization overall.

Somewhere there's a middle management guy who should be getting walking papers. IMHO.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

The one on Boyson is less than 5 minutes away and 2 miles.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I only pre-pay these days - I'm too wary of card skimmers - but I've experienced issues with their card readers in their stores as well. There's one store I go to where the chip reader has never worked. I stopped at one two weekends ago where their card reader was working but "no cash back."

As for the bolded, you should be. I wouldn't be surprised if the length of time these card readers have been down is related to the rise of criminal enterprise using card skimmers.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Live in Tulsa where QT is king, but Caseys has put in two stores. They sell premium, no ethanol 91 grade so I have been filling up there. They have 4 gasoline islands and the two in the center do not have functioning card readers. You can get to the point where it asks for a card, but it seems there is no remote functionality as it fails immediately after that. The employees had the glossed over look when they were told. It has been this way over a month.

While the gasoline is a better grade at Caseys, the employees are way behind what QT has. I have never seen them leave an issue for more than 24 hours.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Brand new Caseys by my house and their cardless/NFC readers don't work. The cardless/NFC reader inside does work for Android Pay. I don't understand why they can only get the ones indoors to work. This has been the first Caseys that I've seen that has 91 octane, which is good.

On a related note, I notice there is a new Caseys and a new Kwik Star right across the street from each other in Grimes and the Kwik Star looks to be doing about 10x the business.

D

Deleted member 8507

I am going to need you to purchase these iTune gift cards, scratch off the back and read me the pin numbers . . . . that is how you pay for gas at Casey's.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I can't do that. My OCD won't let me not fill up my tank all the way. Only filling the tank even 90% would drive me bonkers.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I paid at the pump at Casey's once, but the numbers of questions.....longest week of my life.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
LOL, this topic got me thinking of the ongoing joke here in Grimes where the cash registers at the Dollar General apparently are down more than they are working sometimes. It's an ongoing joke on some of the community Facebook pages with people ranting how they went to go get something and once again there is a sign on the front door they are closed due to the registers being down.

You'd think that it would be a priority to have your technology working all the time at a point of sale or at least be prompt about getting it fixed. That's a good way to lose business when it's so bad people are always talking about your card readers or registers being down. Kind of hard to make sales when you can't accept certain forms of payment.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Kind of related here but not really,

My most fun Casey's experience came in Missouri when driving down to Memphis for the bowl game in 2012. This was shortly after Hy Vee released the fuel saver card. I had saved up over $2.00 off per gallon over the month that I planned on using when it was my turn to pay for gas. Roll into the Casey's real early on the 30th right after 5 am when they open, only to discover this Casey's never set up the fuel saver program even though all Casey's stores were supposed to. Needless to say, after driving all night, I was less than impressed. Had to fill up there anyway as we were very low at this point and wouldnt make it much further.
Used my fuel saver when I got back to Ames.

Now I dont live near enough to take good advantage of the fuel saver so I only stop at Casey's for the occasional pizza. Or the occasional more than occasional pizza.
Food options in small towns are limited when you dont feel like cooking.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I don't know how many times I've gone to a Casey's and their card machine has a note taped to it that reads "Chip reader does not work" or "No cashback" or both.
I can comment on these as I asked our Caseys cashier about them here. Chip readers are slowly coming. Ours in Boone just got some this month. The "No Cashback" is a Friday thing and mostly varies from store to store. Basically she told me lots of people get direct deposit on Friday's, come into Casey's and want cash back to save time going to an ATM. Our cashier told us before they started doing the no cashback they'd need to make multiple runs to the bank just for cash since they were handing out so much. She said it just became a hassle and its up to each store whether they want to do that or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum and ZB4CY

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Live in Tulsa where QT is king, but Caseys has put in two stores. They sell premium, no ethanol 91 grade so I have been filling up there. They have 4 gasoline islands and the two in the center do not have functioning card readers. You can get to the point where it asks for a card, but it seems there is no remote functionality as it fails immediately after that. The employees had the glossed over look when they were told. It has been this way over a month.

While the gasoline is a better grade at Caseys, the employees are way behind what QT has. I have never seen them leave an issue for more than 24 hours.

QT cashiers are ninjas. If there are 8 people in line at QT and 2 people in line at Caseys, I'll be in my car at QT before I get to the register at Caseys.