Kempt, Lanning join ISU Football coaching staff

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
LOVE this....as others have said, both true products of the program, credibility on boths sides of the ball. Also great folks to meet with recruits and families.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Campbell loves Lanning and Kempt. I was sure Campbell was trying to run Joel off in that game against West Virginia. It endeared me to campbell that he admitted that wasn’t handled the best.

This appears to be a regular job, right? They aren’t grad assistants?

• Disagree
Reactions: STLISU

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Campbell loves Lanning and Kempt. I was sure Campbell was trying to run Joel off in that game against West Virginia. It endeared me to campbell that he admitted that wasn’t handled the best.

The linked news release doesn't really specify, but I suppose if they were grad assistants they would have been described as such. Quality control assistant sounds like a paid position, albeit a low-paying one.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The mud is only wet out of anticipation of having Joel's finger in it...
giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The linked news release doesn't really specify, but I suppose if they were grad assistants they would have been described as such. Quality control assistant sounds like a paid position, albeit a low-paying one.

It’s obviously a low tier position but I don’t think there are as many really low pay jobs anymore. Like, I don’t think they’ll be at the poverty level. ;)

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It’s obviously a low tier position but I don’t think there are as many really low pay jobs anymore. Like, I don’t think they’ll be at the poverty level. ;)

No, I don't think it's minimum wage or anything like that but I'm guessing for a guy like Kempt who's armed with a degree in Computer Science there were more than a couple better paying gigs available.

And for the hours they'll be expected to put in it's not going to feel like all that much. I've never coached but from everything I've heard and read as a fan someone on a coaching staff routinely puts in 10+ hour days seven days a week during the season. And the lower you are on the totem pole the harder you have to work.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

For some reason I don’t recall what you are talking about with the WV game

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
For some reason I don’t recall what you are talking about with the WV game

I was probably the only one bothered by it. But after splitting time against tech and Lanning getting 5 TDs, Lanning only saw the field once against WV and scored a TD that was called back. Park wasn’t exactly killing it on offense either. The only explanation I could come up with was campbell wanting to run him off.

Campbell later said he maybe didn’t handle it well.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It would be real nice for the program if we started having both more guys playing on Sunday (started that up with David and Hakeem, check) and more guys associated with the program, either former players/GAs/assistant coaches, becoming well-regarded assistant and eventually head coaches in their own right. Seems we are on that track.

So when are Georges, Naz, and that crew going to come back as assistants? :)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It would be real nice for the program if we started having both more guys playing on Sunday (started that up with David and Hakeem, check) and more guys associated with the program, either former players/GAs/assistant coaches, becoming well-regarded assistant and eventually head coaches in their own right. Seems we are on that track.

So when are Georges, Naz, and that crew going to come back as assistants? :)

I’m going to say that I think that the future coach in basketball will be Naz. I’m not so sure if Georges will even want to do it. But I’d bet money that Naz is s coach at some point.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I’m going to say that I think that the future coach in basketball will be Naz. I’m not so sure if Georges will even want to do it. But I’d bet money that Naz is s coach at some point.

I'd have bet Georges for sure before Naz.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Remember when Naz talked to the team after the won the Big 12 tournament...?

That was some Hoosiers stuff there. You cannot teach that kind of leadership and poise.

Could you imagine Naz as a recruiter...?

I am glad these guys are having professional success and making money as player but, my oh my, there is a unique and special set of personalities attached to that era that you can imagine as coaches (and the same way we are starting to develop that with football).

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

CYISFLY

Jun 30, 2009
SW Ia
Great move for the future of the program. These two guys are two good examples of "the process"

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I think you're right. As much as I'd love to see Georges roaming the sideline for the Cyclones someday, I think he'd be a hell of a broadcaster or in-studio guy with his personality.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Glad they are part of the program but also a bit sad. Kempt has better options available for him but if it's what he wants to do... Hoped that Joel got more of a chance to play.