Generation Y and Z Debt

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I find it interesting that each generation thinks it will be "better off" than the previous. For my generation I think that was primarily attained by graduating from college. For the next generations I am not so sure that the assumption of improvement is / can be as easily attained.

It has to eventually come down to the individual and the combination of talents and motivation and timing and etc.

Reminds me of the old farmer statement:

"One generation makes it (buys the farm through hard work and sacrifice), the second generation retains it (enjoys the fruits of the farm), the third generation spends it (see's only the current not long term value of the farm)".

This was a wise old farmer. Most large fortunes are also lost by the third generation. It takes a rare family to really instill the same knowledge and values through several generations.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There are a lot of factors and I didn't meant to suggest the current state of affairs is entirely a result of decreased state funding. But no doubt it plays a huge role and just as importantly has driven a lot of behaviors and decisions on the part of universities in that time.

As for private schools, yes their tuition has increased as well. But studying private school tuition is meaningless without paying attention to the discount rate, and for most schools that is way up as well. So it's not quite what it seems for private schools.

I think there are probably six factors, thinking through it.

(no particular order here)

1. Baumol's cost disease -- This is an old problem in economics. Service industries are not becoming more productive very quickly. It takes as long to grade an essay now as it did in 1950. At the same time, other sectors are seeing massive productivity increases and able to pay higher and higher wages. In order to attract workers, service industries have to do the same thing, which inevitably leads to higher prices because they do not have the productivity increases to hold them down. The same issue happens with healthcare with its costs over time.

2. Universities used to be faculty and... that was it. The mass professionalization and bureaucratization of educational institutions comes with its conveniences but costs, too, as well as state- and self-imposed mandates for certain service programs.

3. Students expect more -- the monastic experience used to be part of the deal, especially when parents were mostly paying for school. As students have started to self-finance, they have started asking for more, and hence dorms have become nicer.

4. IT costs -- computers and electronics for students and, perhaps underrated, the costs of equipment for faculty have gone up a lot. That has to be paid for. I would imagine research professors in engineering, sciences, and agriculture need a lot of $$$.

5. As the returns of a degree for individuals have gone up, so has willingness to pay. Their ability to finance more and more debt allows more to be charged. Colleges are simply collecting some of the windfall of the students' future wages and ability to finance for themselves.

6. State contributions to public schools have declined.

I think they all probably play a part.

Reactions: Doc
L

LincolnWay187

I'm a millennial but my opinion is relying on parents through college is acceptable, and parents helping kids through college is acceptable, but after graduation you are on your own.
I'm also a millennial. I don't know who's more irresponsible, the kid relying on his parents at 27 or the parents who keep coddling them. I personally don't know anyone who does this by the way.

Reactions: agcy68

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Oh good, more Boomers to say how they paid $13 for college and young people these days just expect new phones every 60 days and that's why they can't buy a house :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I work with alot of Boomers and I'm convinced their view on money is no "better" than Gen Y or Z. I can't tell you how many clients I have that have amassed large estates and have enjoyed absolutely zero of their money. No vacations, junk cars, same small house. Saving money just to save.

While I don't think taking on an irresponsible large debt load is a great idea either, there is something to be said for enjoying your money while living.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Completely agree that's the cause, but how do these schools just the price increases? I know the states fund less of a portion than they used to...

Bingo. The states have realized that the students are just going to take up loans to make up for what they are not going to pay for out of state tax dollars. Shifting the burden onto a much smaller portion of the population.

• Winner
Reactions: Halincandenza

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I know this probably isn't a popular opinion on an ISU forum but I did my last couple of years taking night classes while working full time and it worked out great. This was a business degree so a lot of the other students were older and actually knew something about business. If I had to do it all over again, I would do all 4 years this way. I missed out on the sports, partying, etc. that comes with being a student on campus but I was in a lot better position at 22 both financially and work experience.

Reactions: Bobber

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm also a millennial. I don't know who's more irresponsible, the kid relying on his parents at 27 or the parents who keep coddling them. I personally don't know anyone who does this by the way.

I do and they are both at fault but at some point I put most of it on the parents. In my case they see it as they are just helping them out and to fulfill their dreams blah blah blah. Meanwhile the rest of us see it as immaturity.

I see nothing wrong with moving back in with family if you are unable to support yourself BUT there MUST be a plan for how that is going to change.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Over the last 25 years states have drastically reduced funding to state universities and of course that cost has shifted directly to students. Furthermore, the fact that wages/income have remained pretty stagnant during that same time period. And Republicans blame the students and the professors instead of doing a little self reflecting on the damage their own policies have caused.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Everybody should and would say it's embarrassing to rely on parents for money at 27 freaking years old. At that point it should be embarrassing for the parents as well.

The real question is what age would Boomers say it should be embarrassing for kids to still rely on their parents? I'm guessing that would be 21-22 years old at most.

It might be different for others, but I would say at college graduation.

We helped my son through ISU (just graduated), in large part because he worked his butt off, he found a good job, and is now debt free and not relying on us any more (although he has asked if he can stay on our cell phone plan and reimburse us for it :) )

It has been interesting to mentor him on his personal finances: tracking his expenses and income, investing in 401K, paying for new tires, debating when to get a newer car, etc.

For sure, he is learning as he goes. But he is not sucked into a lifestyle (yet) and is trying to be responsible with his finances and avoid unnecessary debt..

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...rrassing-to-rely-on-them-after-27/1705355001/

Interesting article. I'd say it's a good thing that they feel a sense of embarrassment.

I'm an X'r so had way different dynamics to deal with.

Seems like the thinking is more short term, but suppose in our youth we all tended to be more that way.

I try to teach my kids to make good decisions and think ahead. I teach them accumulating debt is not a good thing as it can limit your options. There are other choices out there..Community College's are cheaper, the trades are great fields to get into with very little if any debt accumulation, joining the military can get your education paid for. Too many people are not going those routes and end up like people this article is about.

Its not complicated. Everything costs more and wages are flat. Millennials have gone into extreme debt to make up the difference. At some point it will become unsustainable and the economy will crash. Then we will get another round of boomers and gen Z blaming Millennials. I guess its our fault no matter what :(

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Its not complicated. Everything costs more and wages are flat. Millennials have gone into extreme debt to make up the difference. At some point it will become unsustainable and the economy will crash. Then we will get another round of boomers and gen Z blaming Millennials. I guess its our fault no matter what :(

Disagree wages are flat...

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Couple of things.

I would consider quite a bit of student lending "predatory". Think about it. How easy was it to get $$ to continue your education? About as easy as it was to get a home loan for 125% of the appraised (read artificially "inflated" home value) prior to the housing bubble bursting (which if allowed to continue on unchecked, I could see a similar bubble burst with the student loans).

When it is that easy, of course bad decisions (i.e."investments") are going to be made. They way I recall, I filled out a couple of forms (some online) and the money was in my account PDQ. At no point did anyone question or ask what I was going to do with the money or anything. I know quite a few friends that went on vacations with this money, bought cars, the newest gadgets, you name it. Should we be shocked that a somewhat maturing teenager / early 20's student made bad decisions when handed access to more cash than most have seen at one time? Bad decisions could be categorized in the trinkets that they purchased or the B.S. in Underwater Basket Weaving funded 100% by student loans. Either way resources are squandered.

There needs to be checks with the balances. In order to get the $$, Johnny / Suzy should need to prepare a business plan on what they are pursuing, what the payoff is, and what the return would be for the lender. No different than it is in business.

If Johnny / Suzy don't know what they want to do with their lives, that is fine. I suggest some sage advice that I followed (although I didn't realize it at the time).....work and serve until you identify what you want to do / what you are good at.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Suddenly being separated from your core friend group, probably not near family, starting a new routine in a new place with little support and probably a decent amount of debt/bills to pay - yeah, I could see how you'd feel isolated and depressed. I've been there.

I honestly didn't know this was a "thing". I thought it was just moving onto a different stage of life and these were many of things it entailed... I actually thought that was all the pay-off to getting out of school but I generally looked at school as, well, school so I could get a job and be an adult.

I'm 55 so I should probably say "get off my lawn or I'll report you to the HOA"...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Wage growth has been outpaced by cost of living for decades. Multiple studies have shown this.

Actually it's more about the getting into debt question in the first place than a wage question.

I can also assure you graduates are making considerably more than I did when I got out of ISU....

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
It has already been said, but JUCO and working is a perfectly fine strategy for getting your degree. No reason why you can't be a full time student and have a full time job (or multiple part time jobs). Honestly that (trying to juggle it all) taught me as much, if not more, than anything I learned in college.

When GT Jr. goes off to school, I anticipate him going JUCO route and living at home while he is doing so. His first semester may be a gimme. Successive semester funding will be determined by how he performs in the prior semester. Having and maintaining employment through this will also be a requirement. I like to think of it as a contractual agreement where he has some skin in the game. If he wants it bad enough, he will figure it out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron