Iowa Football Recruiting

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Ranked teams played last year:

Iowa State - 5. Wins: @ #25 Okie State, #6 WVU / Losses: #5 Oklahoma , @ #13 Texas , #12 Washington State

Iowa - 3. Wins : #18 Mississippi / Losses: #18 Wisconsin, #17 @ Penn State

So Iowa State has two top-25 victories including one over a top 10 foe. We lose to a CFP team, a Texas team who was playing extremely well in a game to go to the B12 title, and then Washington State in the final minute of a bowl game. Iowa has a good victory in their last game of the year against a good team. Their next best victory was Iowa State because they did not beat the other two ranked opponents. How can you look at it from that perspective and think there is no way Iowa State can beat Iowa because they didn't beat TX and WSU when Iowa couldn't beat Wisconsin or Penn State?

Please include Massey ratings as well. Thanks in advance

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The only difference is the game against Augustana was an actual exhibition. The Drake game was not.
Right and Iowa State barely beat the terrible Drake team in terrible conditions and Iowa lost to D2 Augustana in regular indoor gym conditions.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
I can't imagine because I wouldn't be on Iowa forums, but I get your point.
tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: jmb and JP4CY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Please include Massey ratings as well. Thanks in advance
Here's why those rankings are stupid.. These rankings were posted after all of the bowl games were played and the national champ was crowned.

Northwestern beat Utah in the Holiday bowl. Massey rankings: Northwestern - 30, Utah - 29
Iowa beat Mississippi State in the Outback bowl. Massey rankings: Iowa - 20, MSU - 19
Texas beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Massey rankings: Texas -15, Georgia - 5!!

Oklahoma was ranked 6th, behind Georgia, after coming up short against Alabama, but before that beat Texas in the Big 12 championship game. But for some reason.. Georgia is ranked ahead of them.

The last game of the year played between two teams in a bowl game should definitely show who is better between those two teams unless there were significant injuries / players sitting out for NFL reasons.

In conclusion.. Massey rankings are completely arbitrary for a ton of these rankings.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Also the first game of the year for Iowa State against Iowa shouldn't determine who's better between Iowa State or Iowa then.

I never said head to head was the sole factor in determining this.

I dont think 2018 is really up for debate though between Iowa and ISU. I dont know of one ranking/metric that had ISU as better and Iowa won the head to head.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Mississippi State was better than Iowa.. Got it.

I think you could argue each way on this, to be frank.

Just like you could argue each way on Iowa/ISU for the 2017 season. It isnt as cut and dry as Team A beat Team B at this point in the season so they are better.

Iowa was better than Mississippi State on 01/01/2019.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I dont think 2018 is really up for debate though between Iowa and ISU. I dont know of one ranking/metric that had ISU as better and Iowa won the head to head.
I think it was extremely close. Had Iowa State beaten #12 Washington State in the bowl game we would've been ranked. We were ranked for 3 weeks straight before that.

Just like you could argue each way on Iowa/ISU for the 2017 season. It isnt as cut and dry as Team A beat Team B at this point in the season so they are better.

Yeah I can agree with that. You only have to be better than the other team on that one day. I just think those rankings are stupid when you take into account that Iowa and MSU had similar records, were similar levels of competition, and even though Iowa wins, they get ranked behind them.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I agree. 2017 ISU was clearly better while 2018 is up for debate

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: iahawks and BLHawk

adjl

Jun 13, 2019

I think this was because MSU was disappointed that got such a low level opponent in their bowl game. Kind of hard to get fired up for that one.

• Funny
Reactions: BLHawk

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Wow Lachey's pop was an All Pro OT. Knew he played, didn't know he was that good. Kid's going to be a beast.

Walmartthieves

Jun 24, 2019
So to be clear you're disagreeing with unbiased AP voters?

I am saying what a small group of voters think doesn’t take away from what actually occurred on the field.

Why do you always say isu would win more games with Iowa’s schedule and then when isu has a weaker schedule they don’t prove out your argument?

• Dumb
Reactions: IASTATE07 and JP4CY

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Wow Lachey's pop was an All Pro OT. Knew he played, didn't know he was that good. Kid's going to be a beast.
I know Iowa had a couple of TE's get drafted, but I really don't know how anyone could spend 5 minutes or more with baby Ferentz and want to play for that dbag. He's a terrible OC and an even worse person.

• Disagree
Reactions: iahawks