Iowa Corn Planting

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Kind of late as of today, according to USDA, with the least amount of corn planted since 1982, is 95% complete https://whotv.com/2019/06/04/usda-iowa-farmers-have-planted-least-amount-of-corn-since-1982/.

Iowa is ahead of other corn belt states but still behind. Weather has affected Ag to the point of breaking: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...n-farmers-throw-towel/?utm_term=.1ed0effa1015

But good news for Soybeans https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...s-some-good-news-for-soybean-farmers/70008577

Good time for looking at futures.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
It's been a rough year but after several bumper crops in the last few years, we were due for a correction. If you get a crop this year, I have to think you'll be happy when you sell.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Kind of late as of today, according to USDA, with the least amount of corn planted since 1982, is 95% complete https://whotv.com/2019/06/04/usda-iowa-farmers-have-planted-least-amount-of-corn-since-1982/.

Iowa is ahead of other corn belt states but still behind. Weather has affected Ag to the point of breaking: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...n-farmers-throw-towel/?utm_term=.1ed0effa1015

But good news for Soybeans https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...s-some-good-news-for-soybean-farmers/70008577

Good time for looking at futures.

Awe shucks. They may have to wait another year to trade in their 2017 pick up truck.

• Funny
Reactions: Brandon

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It's been a rough year but after several bumper crops in the last few years, we were due for a correction. If you get a crop this year, I have to think you'll be happy when you sell.
I get the impression the rest of the season may put the corn that has been planted in great shape. Iowa may be the winner in this.

• Agree
Reactions: Cdiedrick

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think there is more up-side potential on corn and bean prices but speculating by getting in futures now after a $.75 rally in a month seems risky. You missed the party already.

I've been looking at buying beans. Futures are a risky game. There are ETF's available I think the tickers are CORN and SOYB.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I've been looking at buying beans. Futures are a risky game. There are ETF's available I think the tickers are CORN and SOYB.

I'd get into corn if I was getting into something. This crop is going to be bad with the potential of absolutely awful. I think, once PP is accounted for, this will be a much worse crop than 2012.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and buf87

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s been a bad year. Everything is in now, but just a few weeks ago there was still a lot not planted. Conditions were not ideal. The old saying is knee high by the 4th of July. However in modern times it’s knee high by the 4th of June. Nothing was more than a few inches by June 4th this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I get the impression the rest of the season may put the corn that has been planted in great shape. Iowa may be the winner in this.

Iowa will come out of this smelling like roses. IL, IN, and Ohio are big time trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: Cdiedrick

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I'd get into corn if I was getting into something. This crop is going to be bad with the potential of absolutely awful. I think, once PP is accounted for, this will be a much worse crop than 2012.

Would love to see your math on this...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The far western parts of the Corn Belt got hammered as well. Eastern NE, SD and Western IA have a lot of PP and very late planted corn.

The garden spot based on my travels the last few weeks seems to be the box north of Highway 20, east of Highway 169, south of Highway 14 (in MN), and west of the Driftless (just not much large scale grain there). Pretty much everything there is in and looking good.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The east is worse but Iowa isn't good. Better, yes.

There are a lot of acres east of the Mississippi that won't even get planted, That isn't the case in Iowa. Trust me, Iowa is looking really good compared to a lot of other areas.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Iowa will come out of this smelling like roses. IL, IN, and Ohio are big time trouble.

On about June 4th, 14% of the crop was in good condition. Anything planted after that is automatically in poor condition due to its late planting and that's not to mention it was put into **** conditions. There are a lot of acres that won't be planted, period and the ones that are aren't good. Obviously this summer could provide drastic swings but the ceiling is not high. Maybe it won't get to 123 on intended planting but it won't be much better. For reference, 1993 is what has been compared to this year and it was a 101 bushel year. This year was (and I assume still is) tracking worse than that as far as planting progress. Advancements will add to that but genetic advancement, for instance, isn't of use as much because it hasn't really evolved to help us withstand excess water. People will say that year was exceptionally cold all year, which is true. 1991 was similar as well but summer was extended and harvest was exceptionally long. Yield that year was 108.

I'm talking about production of the intended acres. That won't be in the math of reported average yield later on. Sure, it could be like 150 but we haven't accounted for unplanted acres.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There are a lot of acres east of the Mississippi that won't even get planted, That isn't the case in Iowa. Trust me, Iowa is looking really good compared to a lot of other areas.

Which is what I said. There are quite a few acres in Iowa not getting planted as well. Definitely not even close to as many. Central Iowa is as good as it gets right now.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
A lot of places in Iowa have been very fortunate to have so many great springs the last 5 years or so. Felt like we were due for a rough one statewide. The worst part really is the lack of GDD units. If we go through the rest of the summer in the 70s and low 80s, it’s going to be a brutally late harvest.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The far western parts of the Corn Belt got hammered as well. Eastern NE, SD and Western IA have a lot of PP and very late planted corn.

The garden spot based on my travels the last few weeks seems to be the box north of Highway 20, east of Highway 169, south of Highway 14 (in MN), and west of the Driftless (just not much large scale grain there). Pretty much everything there is in and looking good.

To expand here, probably 50%+ of corn was planted in June in a wide area. First, people didn't plant their intended maturity of corn. Let's say it's 7 days earlier on average. Then, that corn will shorten it's maturity naturally due to when it was planted probably another 7 days. I'd say there's no less than 30 bushels there. Then, it was all mudded in and some drowned out again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron