Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That 7-6 year was an outlier with a horrendous schedule sans Texas/Oklahoma and really only had two wins of note against a good team and an Eric Decker-less Minnesota squad in the bowl game....but for all of those great wins, it created almost negative momentum. Rhoads invented new ways each time to lose to kstate, got 66 put on him by Utah, lost to woebegone Kansas squads, uni, North Dakota state...After 2010, i was more than ready to see him off to Pitt and then after 2012, to Wisconsin...

He didn't lose to UNI and NDSU until 2013. He lost to KU his first year when Mangino was still there and they still had a pulse, then beat them the next 4 years in a row.

Which leads me to the 2014 game at KU. Which is when I was ready to see him go.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
He didn't lose to UNI and NDSU until 2013. He lost to KU his first year when Mangino was still there and they still had a pulse, then beat them the next 4 years in a row.

Which leads me to the 2014 game at KU. Which is when I was ready to see him go.
More than aware, just extolling the low lights of the entirety of the tenure.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
More than aware, just extolling the low lights of the entirety of the tenure.

Just the way it read it made it seem like you were saying you wanted him gone in 2010 for those reasons.

First four years of Rhoads was defined by missed opportunities. Some disappointments, but nothing worth canning him over. And some nice wins (@Neb, @TX, OSU)

Then the last 3 years they stunk it up with no courtesy flush. Wanted him gone after 2014, but glad things worked out the way they did with Campbell.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Rhoads best team had an SRS of 5.40 (the 2012 team that went 6-7 and lost to Tulsa in the rematch in, well, Memphis, which seems to be a thing of ours).

By that same metric, that was the 27th best team in school history (between 1895 and 2018, with the rankings somehow dating back that far somehow).

I loved Rhoads at first, but the results were quickly lacking.

upload_2019-6-15_10-35-56.png

Campbell's team last year was the 19th best team in school history by this metric (relative to the rest of college football). The year before was 3rd.

So my hot take...

The senior Lazard/Lanning team was better than the 2018 DM/Hakeem team.

• Informative
Reactions: Rolling Clones
L

LincolnWay187

Maybe. I'm speaking relatively, of course. We're all from Iowa, but the University of Iowa is not small-town culture. The Des Moines metro can be, but it depends. I went to a larger high school in the Des Moines area. I was shocked to find that cowboy boots were acceptable attire for many students at ISU. I'm not saying I was expecting NYC, but the volume of country bumpkins at ISU threw me off.

ISU is a big school. You can find your pocket. I was just surprised. But then again, it is an ag school. I let my loyalty to the sports team cloud my college choice.
Who gives a damn about country bumpkins. The worst thing about Iowa State is the M/F ratio.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron