So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My suggestion is to try out the best hidden gem places to eat on a night you go to the Funny Bone after. Makes for a good night out, Id recommend the following before hand.
Sakari (they have a lot more than amazing sushi)
Simons (Beaverdale area)
Chef's Kitchen (Beaverdale Area)
Chef's Kitchen closed up.

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My wife and I have our 5 year anniversary coming up next weekend. Any recommendations for dinner in the Des Moines metro? Our family is on a tighter budget so I don't want to go anywhere too expensive but don't want a chain restaurant either. Any recommendations?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Things I have learned:

The weather is glorious! I hope it stays this way year round.

The people are super nice.

Every time I see a Cyclone shirt or hat, I smile.

It was easy-peasy to sign up for Nex Gen internet and Direct TV for a decent price. Next day service. Works great!

Plenty of cool restaurants and bars.

The only thing that freaks me out is that I have seen 3 dead birds on the sidewalks. What's up with that?

Viva Des Moines!
Shut up. Iowa is the nation's best kept secret and if you spew stuff like this, people are going to flock here and ruin it for us all! :jimlad:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Taco Tico.

giphy.gif

Tasty Tacos ain't got **** on the 'Tico.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My wife and I have our 5 year anniversary coming up next weekend. Any recommendations for dinner in the Des Moines metro? Our family is on a tighter budget so I don't want to go anywhere too expensive but don't want a chain restaurant either. Any recommendations?

Chicago Speak Easy
Tumea and Sons
Iowa Tap Room
Latin King

Reactions: aauummm

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If you like Asian cuisine -- Fawn's, Thai Flavors, Cool Basil are all good IMO.

For Mexican I strongly recommend El Barco (The Boat). You can get out of there for around $30-35 even with a drink or two.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Simons 100%....not super spendy and the food is amazing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Depends on what you like. For sushi I'd recommend Miyabi 9 in the East Village or Akebono. Christopher's in Beaverdale for supper club style. Django downtown for casual French. Malo downtown for Latin cuisine. Flying Mango for barbecue/cajun.

• Informative
Reactions: STLISU

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
If you like Asian cuisine -- Fawn's, Thai Flavors, Cool Basil are all good IMO.

For Mexican I strongly recommend El Barco (The Boat). You can get out of there for around $30-35 even with a drink or two.
The menu at Cool Basil is about 20 pages long. So many options to choose from there.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
The menu at Cool Basil is about 20 pages long. So many options to choose from there.
At least it's not like almost every Mexican restaurant: 8 pages of the same food just called something different, ending with a page of kids meals (hot dogs and macaroni and cheese) and margarita flavors.

Really though, Cool Basil is legit.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron