Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
For those that think daycare goes away when your kids start school - think again.

If both spouses work full time, you still need care in the summer when they aren't in school, unless you are fortunate enough to have a relative watch them or you have an educator in the family. Throw in you are probably going to have some before and after school care unless you can make your schedules work to avoid this.

And don't forget summer camps - those aren't cheap either.

Yeah, our 10 year old still does the summer care, but it's less than half what the 2 year old cost is. And it's only for 3 months. We've had before/after school care to this point, too, but that's only ~$300/mo - wayyyy cheaper than the $1,000 daycare bill. Next year (5th grade) she'll start bussing, maybe I'll get a new car (I won't, but more college can get prepaid).

As far as daycare profits, most of the employees don't make much. You have the teens making $8-10/hr, but I don't think even the full-timers typically make much. When my wife was laid-off last year she considered trying childcare as she'd enjoy that more than insurance, but the pay she was seeing was like $15-16/he. I think they do ok profit-wise.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I legit have a spreadsheet I used to estimate out daycare costs if we had 2-3 kids when we were house hunting. Our one kid is more than our mortgage. And I don't even think the drop at 2 years was that significant. By the time he alone is done, we'll be approaching what I paid for my out of state degree at ISU.
This is downright depressing to think about but knowing our children are in good hands is what makes it all a "little" bit more ok. It looks like I'm going to get back to work now, Ive got rising property taxes and child care to pay for!

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
For those that think daycare goes away when your kids start school - think again.

If both spouses work full time, you still need care in the summer when they aren't in school, unless you are fortunate enough to have a relative watch them or you have an educator in the family. Throw in you are probably going to have some before and after school care unless you can make your schedules work to avoid this.

And don't forget summer camps - those aren't cheap either.
Thank god my wifes best friend is a teacher and about to start having children of her own as well. The thought of the summer care cost just about made me cry as well.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is downright depressing to think about but knowing our children are in good hands is what makes it all a "little" bit more ok. It looks like I'm going to get back to work now, Ive got rising property taxes and child care to pay for!

ours does meals too so I suppose I save a tiny bit on food??? Mostly the time it saves me is really nice. They do a good job though and really care for the children.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Daycare is whoa, with 2, our monthly pretty much equals our mortgage. With that said, the annual day care bill is not too far off from a year of tuition at a state public university. With that in mind I am less nervous about college costs.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
You'd be moving to a place that is more expensive, while making less. Really depends on if that fact is gonna be an issue for your family.

That same fact makes it tricky to move anywhere for my family since we are dual income and neither my wife nor I really want to stay home. So any potential big move needs to come with a significant salary bump to make it worthwhile while the other looks for a job, or potentially doesn't.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
So here's the new question. Do we take jobs with lesser salaries/new industry to move to Des Moines or do we wait until we find something comparable and stay put until that time?
Id wait until something is comparable. Just IMO though, that it would add to all the new changes if they aren't all going perfect and could be stress that you could avoid if possible.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This is exactly what I said, most places will give you a break for having 2. Not so much in this one and since my son has already been there a year my wife doesn't want to change daycares. Shoot me now please....

So is this like fancy daycare where the kids learn to speak Mandarin and play violins? No little kids for me so I have no reference. Sorry for the silly question.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
So is this like fancy daycare where the kids learn to speak Mandarin and play violins? No little kids for me so I have no reference. Sorry for the silly question.
Most places if you want good clean and nice employees you'll see this type of cost. In home daycares you can get for about 600-700 but they don't learn as much and you never know what could happen in those in homes either. Peace of mind I guess has a price :)

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron