Hoiberg to Huskers

Bocy

Nov 27, 2016
Central IA
Don't make me go full whiplash on you, boy.

It's never a bad time for a Whiplash, the Cowboy monkey, pic.

whiplash1.jpg

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Lol at anyone thinking the delay is to watch his son ride the bench in the tournament. That's a great way to start the job. "Sorry guys, I understand it's important to start getting our program in place as soon as possible, but I've got to see my son wave a towel and be team mvp in the handshake line. Can't take away from that special moment!"

How bad does Nebraska want him? Did Nebraska approach Fred or the other way around? These are likely things we'll never know. But if Nebraska keyed in on Fred, told Fred you're our guy, what will it take to get you here, etc., there's a bit of leverage Fred has there and in that situation I could see Nebraska granting whatever it took to make sure they got their guy.

I guess I just don't think the idea of Fred waiting until after the tournament to be formally announced as head coach is as crazy as some on here think it is.

• Agree
Reactions: RRRunotEntertained

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The hate is really deep in this thread.
How bad does Nebraska want him? Did Nebraska approach Fred or the other way around? These are likely things we'll never know. But if Nebraska keyed in on Fred, told Fred you're our guy, what will it take to get you here, etc., there's a bit of leverage Fred has there and in that situation I could see Nebraska granting whatever it took to make sure they got their guy.

I guess I just don't think the idea of Fred waiting until after the tournament to be formally announced as head coach is as crazy as some on here think it is.

The biggest thing people have to come to grips with is that a segment of our fanbase hates Fred for leaving Iowa State. They talk about all the reasons why Fred will fail at Nebraska but it appears they are really scared shitless of how a good Nebraska will effect our program. If you think we have a Top 25 coach and program then it shouldn’t impact us. CSP has shown his ability to recruit and everybody thought Fred sucked at recruiting not sure why that grouped is scared about the impact on Foster if they truly believe what they post.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I'm just here to post on page 69.

We need a special appearance in this thread from Gronk. I heard a story about him missing a free throw in a high school basketball game, just to keep the score at 69!

Shut ‘er down, boys! Keep the page where it is (for those of us that don’t adjust our posts per page)

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
......I guess I just don't think the idea of Fred waiting until after the tournament to be formally announced as head coach is as crazy as some on here think it is.

Could be. First story was that Fred was on vacation. Now it's the tournament. After MSU is eliminated we might move to story #3.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

If he wants to make sure he retains players on the roster now, try to go after transfers on the transfer market now, hire assistant coaches now then he needs to start talking to everyone today. Yesterday actually. If you know you are doing this you don't twiddle your thumbs for a couple of weeks during such an important time period. And before you say he could be doing all that without being officially announced just stop. It would get out in a matter of minutes and the university would be forced to announce anyways.

So yeah, it's crazy to think he is delaying taking the position weeks to watch his son not play in the tournament. Could it be happening, sure. But I would question his commitment to making it work if he is letting this crucial period go by without working on putting his program in place.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The hate is really deep in this thread.

The biggest thing people have to come to grips with is that a segment of our fanbase hates Fred for leaving Iowa State. They talk about all the reasons why Fred will fail at Nebraska but it appears they are really scared shitless of how a good Nebraska will effect our program. If you think we have a Top 25 coach and program then it shouldn’t impact us. CSP has shown his ability to recruit and everybody thought Fred sucked at recruiting not sure why that grouped is scared about the impact on Foster if they truly believe what they post.
No it's about loyalty. Nebraska, Iowa are the big No no's at Iowa State. Any fan or alum would understand that. Fred can do what he wants, but he's no relic in my eyes. He's just some dude that likes chasing his 'dream' and pay checks.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
None of this addresses the fact Fred still doesn't want to sit in parents living rooms talking to their spoiled snot nosed kids for any amount of money.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
None of this addresses the fact Fred still doesn't want to sit in parents living rooms talking to their spoiled snot nosed kids for any amount of money.
So he hires his new TJ and Matt. Problem solved. Fred will be successful wherever he goes IMO. He's a good coach, and a better people person. He's probably not good enough to get McD AA consistently to Lincoln though.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If he wants to make sure he retains players on the roster now, try to go after transfers on the transfer market now, hire assistant coaches now then he needs to start talking to everyone today. Yesterday actually. If you know you are doing this you don't twiddle your thumbs for a couple of weeks during such an important time period. And before you say he could be doing all that without being officially announced just stop. It would get out in a matter of minutes and the university would be forced to announce anyways.

So yeah, it's crazy to think he is delaying taking the position weeks to watch his son not play in the tournament. Could it be happening, sure. But I would question his commitment to making it work if he is letting this crucial period go by without working on putting his program in place.

I think there’s too much smoke to say he won’t get it, but I’m starting to get skeptical for the reasons you mention.

If Fred uses Nebraska to leverage a different job and breaks the bugeater’s hearts, does he retain his mayor status?

• Winner
Reactions: jcyclonee

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
So he hires his new TJ and Matt. Problem solved. Fred will be successful wherever he goes IMO. He's a good coach, and a better people person. He's probably not good enough to get McD AA consistently to Lincoln though.

Is this facetious? TJ just got hired as the head coach at UNLV... no way he gives up that gig to be an assistant at Nebraska...