100 Greatest Iowa Athletes

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I have been following a podcast this week that is counting down the 100 greatest Iowa athletes. They are defining "Iowan" by athletes who spent their formative years in the state. I think Gable, Feller, Collison, Hinrich, Korver, Shawn Johnson, Kurt Warner will all probably be in the Top 10-15.

Some Cyclones on the list so far:
85. Lisa Uhl
71. Mike Busch
61. Loren Meyer
57. Gary Thompson
52. Sage Rosenfels
38. Glen Brand
29. Fred Hoiberg

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
I have been following a podcast this week that is counting down the 100 greatest Iowa athletes. They are defining "Iowan" by athletes who spent their formative years in the state. I think Gable, Feller, Collison, Hinrich, Korver, Shawn Johnson, Kurt Warner will all probably be in the Top 10-15.

Some Cyclones on the list so far:
85. Lisa Uhl
71. Mike Busch
61. Loren Meyer
57. Gary Thompson
52. Sage Rosenfels
38. Glen Brand
29. Fred Hoiberg

I expect my avatar may make an appearance as well. I haven't heard about this until now, so I have no idea what number they're on.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I’m guessing Adam Haluska will be on the list somewhere. He won state in the 100 m dash and was just super athletic... before turning to the dark side.

• Funny
Reactions: STLISU

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m guessing Adam Haluska will be on the list somewhere. He won state in the 100 m dash and was just super athletic... before turning to the dark side.

Most of the ones listed on the one posters list all played pro or competed in the Olympics. Guessing Haluska will not make the cut.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean and GTO

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
So it’s more of a list of who had the best after HS/College careers and not best HS/College careers?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So it’s more of a list of who had the best after HS/College careers and not best HS/College careers?

To me it looks like it starts with college level and then gives favor to those who went to the next level. Obviously with a few exceptions like shawn Johnson and such.

EDIT: The question will be if Aaron Kampman/ Jared DeVries guys make it (I guess Dallas Clark also). Well know, but not as well known during college as they were since they weren't skill position (yes clark was) players. Mike Stensrud falls in that group also.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

I think it's safe to assume that if you were that fantastic in high school you went on to play college or the Olympics. There are probably a few that elected to not do it but mostly all star high school players play college.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Wonder where Todd Blythe is. I think he ran track, played basketball also. Not sure. Casey Blake will be up there. He played all sports and was great. BTW No I am not from Indianola. haha

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If they're counting college years as enough Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner actually should be on the list.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
They just released the Top 20 today. Here is the Top 10:

1. Bob Feller
2. Dan Gable
3. Shawn Johnson
4. Kurt Warner
5. Zach Johnson
6. Kyle Korver
7. Bryce Paup
8. Cap Anson
9. Lolo Jones
10. Roger Craig

Surprised (but not disappointed) that Kinnick wasn't in the top 10. Good to see Jim Doran and Freddie were fairly high on it. Should a golfer be in the Top 10?

Link to the full list:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com/top-100

Link to the podcast of the Top 20:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...5-the-top-100-athletes-in-the-history-of-iowa

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
If they're counting college years as enough Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner actually should be on the list.

The list is made up of native Iowans. Athletes who spent their formative years in the state.

ropingcy

Nov 17, 2016
They have the wrong town for Jared DeVries...it's Aplington, not Parkersburg.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They just released the Top 20 today. Here is the Top 10:

1. Bob Feller
2. Dan Gable
3. Shawn Johnson
4. Kurt Warner
5. Zach Johnson
6. Kyle Korver
7. Bryce Paup
8. Cap Anson
9. Lolo Jones
10. Roger Craig

Surprised (but not disappointed) that Kinnick wasn't in the top 10. Good to see Jim Doran and Freddie were fairly high on it. Should a golfer be in the Top 10?

Link to the full list:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com/top-100

Link to the podcast of the Top 20:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...5-the-top-100-athletes-in-the-history-of-iowa

Cap Anson to me is the most interesting on the list. He likely was the most famous at the height of his fame although Kurt Warner had huge name recognition for a few years. He's also probably the most controversial and the one who sticks out as a villain through today's lens. Lolo's insignificant "controversies" make her look saintly in comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: Lamoni and SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Cap Anson to me is the most interesting on the list. He likely was the most famous at the height of his fame although Kurt Warner had huge name recognition for a few years. He's also probably the most controversial and the one who sticks out as a villain through today's lens. Lolo's insignificant "controversies" make her look saintly in comparison.

Agreed about Anson. One of the real titans of early MLB, but the man was a virulent and unrepentant racist.

Reactions: Lamoni