DC Extended Universe

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Interesting. The last trailer I saw actually made me *less* interested in seeing the movie. If we've got some spare time before the new year, maybe we'll go see it. Probably not likely though.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Saw it last night. I thought it was pretty good. They did try to put a lot of humor in it.
Pretty great cast.
Some very noticeable CGI moments (roof chase scene).

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Enjoyable and the 2nd best DC movie after Wonder Woman.

The Good: visually really cool (although I'm sure it will get beat up for too much CGI but idk what else you'd do for an Aquaman movie), some cool fight scenes, Jason Momoa is great as Aquaman and brings some humor and fun, and overall had the feel of a big epic superhero movie

The Not so Good: dialogue was pretty meh and cliche/cheesy, some of the humor was a little forced, King Orm was just ok as a villain, there wasn't a ton of character development, and they tried to cram a lot in

Overall it's an enjoyable super hero movie but it isnt an amazing movie

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I know I'm really late to the party here, but I finally got a chance to catch Aquaman last week. In general, I had fun, but there was a few big things in the movie that held me back from really liking the movie. Without a doubt, director James Wan went all-out on this thing and you've got to give him props for doing that. Its definitely a 180 degree swing from Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad, but if anything, maybe it is a bit too much of a swing, particularly in the way of campiness. Its almost as if everything the movie did well, they went just a bit too far with it.

To start out, lets talk visuals. Overall, most the visuals were pretty stunning, particular one scene in the middle with the Trench people. However, on the flip side, there were times I felt the visuals went a bit too far, which suddenly catapults you into the cartoony category. That is a tough thin line to tow. Nobody has done these undersea visuals to this extent, so James Wan had a tough task ahead of him. What I'd argue we ended up getting, like other later things in this review, was one of those desserts you get that tastes good for a few bits, but is just too rich and too sweet, you have a hard time eating the whole thing. Also, older DCEU movies struggled with being a bit too dark, while this movie probably struggled with being a bit too bright.

Somewhat tied to the visuals was just the overall comic book craziness of this movie. It is without question that Wan went all in on Aquaman's comic book world, all jammed into one movie. This created a really deep rich underwater world that jumped back and forth between the line of really cool and intriguing, then at other times, way too far over-the-top. It literally could jump back and forth based on what scene you were in. Again, back to the too rich and too sweet dessert metaphor. Don't get me wrong, I love the comic-book craziness, but I also want a decent level of grounded believability as well. Marvel is killer at towing this line with their movies while this movie struggled for me at times. In the end, I believe the key here is easing the audience into all the craziness, which this movie made zero attempt to do.

Lastly, while the story was fun and enjoyable for the most part, I couldn't help walking away finding it a bit hollow, particularly with Arthur Curry's arc. To me, all good comic book movie's main characters need to come out at the end of the movie inherently different than they were coming in. There has to be some character growth that happens. I just never found that with Aquaman. I wanted more emotion and more depth from him outside of the Kool-aid man that just busted through the wall screaming Oh-Yeah!!!! What he was at the beginning seemed to be exactly what he was at the end, which really tainted the storytelling a bunch and maybe was the #1 thing that kept me from loving this movie.

In the end, I don't want to harp too much on Aquaman as it was an entertaining enough movie for myself I guess. Yes, while I wanted more out of it and what it means for the DC movie universe going forward, to me, it is at least enough for me to trudge forward and somewhat look forward to what DC has for me next. It at least didn't kill the universe in my mind and based on its financial success, it likely didn't kill much in the minds of others as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Early Vegas betting odds on the new Batman actor:

7/2 Armie Hammer
11/2 Jake Gyllenhaal
13/2 Jon Hamm
8/1 Michael B. Jordan
8/1 Ben Barnes
9/1 John Krasinski
10/1 Jamie Dornan
16/1 Josh Brolin
16/1 Matthew Goode
16/1 Chris Pratt
16/1 Michael Fassbender
16/1 Chris Pine
18/1 Ryan Gosling
33/1 Leonardo DiCaprio
33/1 Idris Elba
50/1 Keanu Reeves
50/1 Daniel Craig
50/1 Colin Farrell
50/1 Tom Hardy
50/1 Chris Evans
100/1 Cillian Murphy
100/1 Ewan McGregor
100/1 Henry Cavill
100/1 Hugh Jackman

I'm personally hoping for Ben Barnes.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Early Vegas betting odds on the new Batman actor:

7/2 Armie Hammer
11/2 Jake Gyllenhaal
13/2 Jon Hamm
8/1 Michael B. Jordan
8/1 Ben Barnes
9/1 John Krasinski
10/1 Jamie Dornan
16/1 Josh Brolin
16/1 Matthew Goode
16/1 Chris Pratt
16/1 Michael Fassbender
16/1 Chris Pine
18/1 Ryan Gosling
33/1 Leonardo DiCaprio
33/1 Idris Elba
50/1 Keanu Reeves
50/1 Daniel Craig
50/1 Colin Farrell
50/1 Tom Hardy
50/1 Chris Evans
100/1 Cillian Murphy
100/1 Ewan McGregor
100/1 Henry Cavill
100/1 Hugh Jackman

I'm personally hoping for Ben Barnes.

With these all being Marvel I am going to doubt those. Plus Henry Cavill? That would make zero sense.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Normally I'm not about throwing a black guy into a movie like Batman, but we've seen SO many versions of Batman I honestly want to see a bit different take on it. I'd love to see an African American take on it. I'd also like them to be younger as opposed to a guy in their 40s or so.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/supe...has-some-huge-demands-for-warner-bros-a166272

Latest news is that the biggest thing holding up the return of Henry Cavil as Superman is some demands he has of Warner Bros for a pay increase, script and director approval, and producers credit. Shoot, if I was Henry Cavill, I don't blame him for the crap Warner Bros has put him through in the past. In the end, I love him as Superman and hope they come to terms.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
So, the weekly blurb about Aquaman that runs in Entertainment Weekly is, "It can't decide if it's a superhero movie or a parody of a superhero movie".

I'm guessing that has some accuracy?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, the weekly blurb about Aquaman that runs in Entertainment Weekly is, "It can't decide if it's a superhero movie or a parody of a superhero movie".

I'm guessing that has some accuracy?

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily say that. I would just say that Aquaman went all-in on being very much a comic-book movie. Unlike its predecessors, it is bright, crazy, and tries a lot to be fun. If anything, it goes so far in that direction, it struggles to have much grounded feel to anything.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
First look at Black Canary in the now-filming Birds of Prey film. Black Canary is played by Jurnee Bell.

And here is the "promo" video that was shot when filming started:

Shows Harley Quinn, Huntress, Black Canary, Renee Montoya, Victor Zsasz and Black Mask (played by Ewan McGregor)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
An Aquaman spin-off film is in the works. It will be based on the Trench kingdom, seen towards the end of Aquaman (I haven’t seen it yet, but from what I’ve read it was a very cool scene). The film will be darker in tone, and will not have any of the main characters from Aquaman. James Wan will produce the film.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-aquaman-spinoff-is-happening-without-any-of-aquamans-1832474996

Was it a great scene and one of the best parts of Aquaman?? Absolutely. Do I want a movie made solely about the Trench people? Heck no.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Did anyone watch Titans S1 on the new DC streaming service yet by chance? If so, what did you think? I'm finishing up The Punisher S2 and The Gifted S2 and am considering what is up next.

Last edited: