***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
There are links and a lot of discussion scattered all over different threads, but I think this topic should have a thread of it's own for us to discuss the possibility of Montgomery and Butler entering the draft a year early, as well as what teams would be good fits for them and where they could go in the draft. Feel free to post links that you may find as well as your opinions on the subject. And if they both come back next year, we can keep this thread going until the 2020 draft.

Some mock drafts don't have either of them even listed and some do. The latest CBS Sports Mock Draft has Butler going #24 overall to the Redskins.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...armed-drew-lock-jets-land-receiver-a-j-brown/

Drafttek has Montgomery going #21 to the Titans.
https://www.drafttek.com/2019-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

There are a lot of teams that could use the a skilled RB and WR, but I think the perfect teams would be for Butler to go to the Colts (Luck is starting to dominate, their o-line is solid, they need a #2 WR) and Montgomery to the Steelers (since Bell will not be playing for them next year).

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think Montgomery probably should go. RBs only have so much time. If he can actually get drafted that high, then he should do it.

WRs don't have nearly the short shelf life. But if he continues to trend as a first rounder, then I don't see what would have him come back. Yes he could have an entire season with media exposure, but how much would he really raise his draft status?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am sure they will get good advice at the end of the year and real NFL GM's will let them know approximately where they will be drafted. That would help make a decision. I see Butler listed as 6th pick overall to not even on a draft board for some. Montgomery in the first round to not even on some draft picks. One thing I have always noticed about ISU. The guys we don't expect to do anything end up doing well in the NFL like Atiba Ruben. Guys that we are all hyped on like Lazard bounce around on practice teams.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I remember when Lazard was contemplating going pro after his junior season.

Butler and Montgomery now contemplating going pro. Unwise decision to enter NFL Draft and be a very late round pick at best or go undrafted. I would come back. Have a monster year.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I remember when Lazard was contemplating going pro after his junior season.

Butler and Montgomery now contemplating going pro. Unwise decision to enter NFL Draft and be a very late round pick at best or go undrafted. I would come back. Have a monster year.
What? They the both projected as first or second rounders. Lazard was a projected late rounder when he was “contemplating.”

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If we go by the geniuses on the Texas broadcast, if players are not first or second round picks, they should be advised to come back for their senior seasons.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What? They the both projected as first or second rounders. Lazard was a projected late rounder when he was “contemplating.”

Lazard had a monster year. Ran a very good 40 time and still went undrafted. So the projected late round pick after junior year was complete BS.

Day 2 picks at best. Most likely Day 3 picks. From what I have read. And those are just guys guessing. Butler drops easy passes. And there are questions about his speed. Can physically overpower College DB’s for jump balls. Won’t be that way in the pros.

Montgomery has speed questions as well. That will hurt. And he has not had the type of year where he is completely dominating at the college level. Very good back. But pros are a different animal. Comes down to measurables. And even then it is a crapshoot in the mid rounds and later. And there is the possibility that some negative thing in measurables comes up and they slide right out of draft.

Don’t think that Montgomery and Butler would slide out of draft. But can see where they might be Day 3 picks. Do you want to forego your senior season and possible monster ISU season to be a late round pick?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What about Campbell?

Here at least through Purdy. Maybe longer. Campbell is building HIS program. Saves most of the money he makes anyway. Loves Cyclone Nation. Marches to a different beat than a lot of coaches. It is that difference that led him to take the Iowa State Job. Big XII Championship first. Not sure where he would really want to go. Campbell and Iowa State are getting great publicity. It is a different era now. Troy Davis would win the Heisman today with social media.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron