***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Can someone help me understand why Butler seems so much more highly regarded than Lazard? They seem to be awfully similar, but from what I hear, Butler has much more NFL interest. Is he faster? A better route runner or blocker? Why the big difference between the two?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I remember when Lazard was contemplating going pro after his junior season.

Butler and Montgomery now contemplating going pro. Unwise decision to enter NFL Draft and be a very late round pick at best or go undrafted. I would come back. Have a monster year.

Alot of wrong to unpack here. First, totally different situations. Lazard was maybe a 6-7th round pick after his junior year, if that. The OP just cited two mocks that show Butler and/or Montgomery going in the first round. I would think, especially for Butler after he grades out at the combine, they would be late second round picks, at worst. So totally different than Lazard's situation.

Also, how did that work for Lazard? He had a very solid senior year and it certainly didn't enhance his draft status. At some point you've put enough tape out there that you are who you are. In terms of a draft standpoint, I think the risk of injury or a bad year far outweighs the off chance you somehow vault yourself from late first to 2nd round to top 15.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The fan takes on these are fun. It's people with a hobby level interest applying their motivations on to people's careers. I know just yesterday I turned down a million dollar promotion because I had unfinished business in my current position.

Early entrants and successful NFL players are huge recruiting advantages that ISU hasn't had much experience with. It's a good thing that will benefit ISU for a long time to come if they leave early.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Can someone help me understand why Butler seems so much more highly regarded than Lazard? They seem to be awfully similar, but from what I hear, Butler has much more NFL interest. Is he faster? A better route runner or blocker? Why the big difference between the two?

I think speed is the big difference. In the 40, Butler is sub-4.5 while Lazard is around 4.55.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The fan takes on these are fun. It's people with a hobby level interest applying their motivations on to people's careers. I know just yesterday I turned down a million dollar promotion because I had unfinished business in my current position.

Early entrants and successful NFL players are huge recruiting advantages that ISU hasn't had much experience with. It's a good thing that will benefit ISU for a long time to come if they leave early.

Not only that but my job doesn't destroy my body other than giving me a fat ass

Finite shelf life in a career that is as physically demanding and damaging as any.....

Get to the league, get paid, try to keep some health, and be a fantastic Cyclone ambassador

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Lazard had a monster year. Ran a very good 40 time and still went undrafted. So the projected late round pick after junior year was complete BS.

Day 2 picks at best. Most likely Day 3 picks. From what I have read. And those are just guys guessing. Butler drops easy passes. And there are questions about his speed. Can physically overpower College DB’s for jump balls. Won’t be that way in the pros.

Montgomery has speed questions as well. That will hurt. And he has not had the type of year where he is completely dominating at the college level. Very good back. But pros are a different animal. Comes down to measurables. And even then it is a crapshoot in the mid rounds and later. And there is the possibility that some negative thing in measurables comes up and they slide right out of draft.

Don’t think that Montgomery and Butler would slide out of draft. But can see where they might be Day 3 picks. Do you want to forego your senior season and possible monster ISU season to be a late round pick?

Most likely day 3 picks??? Dude, I don't even follow ISU as closely as you, and even I can say that they are absolute worst case scenario round 3 picks. They are both top 5 (absolute worst top 10) at their positions which makes them virtual locks to come off the board before day 3.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

Taller, quite a bit faster, and more athletic.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

This. This. A thousand times this.

If these two can go early in the draft, it only helps when you go out and recruit people. You can show that you can get kids drafted. You don’t think Campbell used Kareem Hunt to show off his coaching acumen when he was recruiting Hall and Brock?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Butler was planning on returning but that was what I was told before the WVU game and he's gone off since then so who knows

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
Butler is a freak. I haven't seen a WR this year with combination of size, speed and ball skills. Does he have things he could work on? Of course. But his skillset plays on Sunday's in a big way. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a first round pick, especially if his 40 time is as good as we think.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.....Early entrants and successful NFL players are huge recruiting advantages that ISU hasn't had much experience with. It's a good thing that will benefit ISU for a long time to come if they leave early.

Agree. If they have productive NFL careers the round they are taken doesn't matter.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Lazard had a monster year. Ran a very good 40 time and still went undrafted. So the projected late round pick after junior year was complete BS.

Day 2 picks at best. Most likely Day 3 picks. From what I have read. And those are just guys guessing. Butler drops easy passes. And there are questions about his speed. Can physically overpower College DB’s for jump balls. Won’t be that way in the pros.

Montgomery has speed questions as well. That will hurt. And he has not had the type of year where he is completely dominating at the college level. Very good back. But pros are a different animal. Comes down to measurables. And even then it is a crapshoot in the mid rounds and later. And there is the possibility that some negative thing in measurables comes up and they slide right out of draft.

Don’t think that Montgomery and Butler would slide out of draft. But can see where they might be Day 3 picks. Do you want to forego your senior season and possible monster ISU season to be a late round pick?

For his size and sub 4.5 there are no speed questions

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
If they can go they should go. It's a no brainer.

It has nothing to do with loyalty to the Cyclones either, so I hope there is no "These guys dont care about being Cyclones" hot takes.

That CBS Sports article over the summer talked about how Montgomery at times didnt even have heat or running water as a kid. Go make your millions young man and buy your mom a house.