Iowa -7 vs ISU

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Oh Chad...

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eyes-kirk-ferentz-kinnick-stadium/1041498002/

It’ll be hard to top last year’s Cy-Hawk thrills. A 44-41 overtime win by Iowa showcased electric performances by two fantastic running backs — Akrum Wadley and David Montgomery. Only one, Montgomery, is back — and if you thought he was tough to stop last year (25 touches, 165 yards), wait until Iowa tries to wrap him up with a brand new batch of linebackers.

The Cyclones’ 8-5 campaign in 2017 reminded me of Iowa’s 2001 team that went 7-5 — nice wins and lots of close losses (all five for both teams were by 10 or less), then a tight bowl-game win that served as a notable benchmark in a new coach's rebuild. And you know what happened with the Hawkeyes in 2002.

What Chad says: The early line shows Iowa as a 3½-point favorite, so the folks in Vegas view this as a toss-up before factoring in home-field advantage — which has rarely meant much in the recent history for this series (five of the last six have been won by the road team).

For the Hawkeyes to win, they’ll need their offensive line to be able to move perhaps Iowa State’s best position group — the defensive line — backward. While I think Iowa has the better quarterback, it’ll still have a lot of kinks to work out on both sides of the ball as it re-introduces four impact linemen from suspension.

Iowa State is one of the few Big 12 teams that plays defense, and you know Matt Campbell has this one circled. Montgomery (like Wadley was last year) could be the difference in another Cy-Hawk classic.

Game Prediction: Iowa State 28, Iowa 24

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Oh Chad...

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eyes-kirk-ferentz-kinnick-stadium/1041498002/

It’ll be hard to top last year’s Cy-Hawk thrills. A 44-41 overtime win by Iowa showcased electric performances by two fantastic running backs — Akrum Wadley and David Montgomery. Only one, Montgomery, is back — and if you thought he was tough to stop last year (25 touches, 165 yards), wait until Iowa tries to wrap him up with a brand new batch of linebackers.

The Cyclones’ 8-5 campaign in 2017 reminded me of Iowa’s 2001 team that went 7-5 — nice wins and lots of close losses (all five for both teams were by 10 or less), then a tight bowl-game win that served as a notable benchmark in a new coach's rebuild. And you know what happened with the Hawkeyes in 2002.

What Chad says: The early line shows Iowa as a 3½-point favorite, so the folks in Vegas view this as a toss-up before factoring in home-field advantage — which has rarely meant much in the recent history for this series (five of the last six have been won by the road team).

For the Hawkeyes to win, they’ll need their offensive line to be able to move perhaps Iowa State’s best position group — the defensive line — backward. While I think Iowa has the better quarterback, it’ll still have a lot of kinks to work out on both sides of the ball as it re-introduces four impact linemen from suspension.

Iowa State is one of the few Big 12 teams that plays defense, and you know Matt Campbell has this one circled. Montgomery (like Wadley was last year) could be the difference in another Cy-Hawk classic.

Game Prediction: Iowa State 28, Iowa 24

Seems pretty spot on. Could easily see ISU sneak out an upset W given how much MC wants this one.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Why has it become important for Iowa and Iowa State fans to proclaim that the other side wants the game more? Is this somehow a bad thing?

I don't know that I would consider it a bad thing. I prefer CMC's approach of treating it like just another game instead of KF's who treats it like his Super Bowl. It's a personal preference IMO

• Disagree
Reactions: breck53

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
And yet, you had to infer that the game is more important to KF in your response. I live in SEC country and would love to see the Iowa teams get more attention. That actually happens when both teams are good, or play a great game like last year. That and beating Oklahoma and/or Ohio State.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
And yet, you had to infer that the game is more important to KF in your response. I live in SEC country and would love to see the Iowa teams get more attention. That actually happens when both teams are good, or play a great game like last year. That and beating Oklahoma and/or Ohio State.

Well if you lived in Iowa you would know this is common knowledge

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: breck53 and Lineup

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
Perhaps if you lived outside of Iowa, you would get a better national perspective. Arguing about how one team is better because they got more votes in the "others receiving votes" category is laughable when you live within a 3 hour drive of Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Auburn.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Perhaps if you lived outside of Iowa, you would get a better national perspective. Arguing about how one team is better because they got more votes in the "others receiving votes" category is laughable when you live within a 3 hour drive of Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Auburn.

Is everything on here laughable?

• Agree

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Of the 6 teams listed according to final AP votes last season:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Auburn
5. Iowa State
6. Iowa

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
No. It's actually a very good forum. Much better than any Hawkeye forum. I just tire of the same arguments getting rehashed to death. It's actually my go to site for news of both Cyclones and Hawkeyes. (Unfortunately, my go to site for Mollie Tibbets news yesterday.)

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk

Iowa State only lost to Alabama by 1. That sounds like an awesome location to be in come fall.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Atlanta, Missouri is right in the heart of SEC Country.

Derpycy

Jun 27, 2018
As an "Cy" fan you should be excited about this

Sure why care about what occurred on the field when “others receiving votes” in certain polls is what really matters. Pretty amazing how far you need to go to feel good about iSu football. But you do you.

• Agree

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sure why care about what occurred on the field when “others receiving votes” in certain polls is what really matters. Pretty amazing how far you need to go to feel good about iSu football. But you do you.

Yeah Iowa was better than Ohio State and Iowa State and ISU was better than Oklahoma and TCU last year right? I mean they beat they beat them on the field! Lol cmon man

Derpycy

Jun 27, 2018
Yeah Iowa was better than Ohio State and Iowa State and ISU was better than Oklahoma and TCU last year right? I mean they beat they beat them on the field! Lol cmon man

So use a composite of 100+ polls to tell us who was better than who. Or go the pick and choose route. Either way it shows just how far iSu fans go to try and measure up to Iowa.

• Agree