Big 12: Best season from each team

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Hard to argue K-State's '98 team being best ever. But Collin Klein's 2011 team was CFP #1 before losing at Baylor.
It is definitely hard to argue that, but I know my favorite K-State team was the 2003 team that beat OU in the Big 12 title game. The Old Man is a marvel, although,as an ISU fan, I wish he'd take up shuffleboard or something.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
CBS Sports series this week, looking at best team in history for each team, by conference.

Big 12 published today: Best season from every team
A great summer article. This was well researched, and I think the picks are all very defendable.
  • After reading through it, my first reaction was "hey, they forgot Nebraska ... oh, right, their B1G now" :(
  • OU had so many good teams, and my sentimental favorite was the '78 team with (future congressman) J.C. Watt, Billy Sims, and David Overstreet running that wishbone. I still have to agree on their picking the 1974 team, although don't get why they failed to mention that the D-Line included the Selmon brothers (Lee Roy and Dewey ). They won a national championship, but never played a game after Thanksgiving. Incredible!
  • I liked their TCU pick of the 1938 team with QB Davey O'brien. I looked it up, too, and he was a backup in his first season to none other than Sammy Baugh. What a lineup!
  • For ISU, I still rate the '76 team as the best - they were total freaks, even though they weren't invited to a bowl. I also think the 2017 team was more solid than 2000. The 2000 team got blown out multiple times, while the 2017 team was 11-2 against the spread. That just does not happen.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A great summer article. This was well researched, and I think the picks are all very defendable.
  • After reading through it, my first reaction was "hey, they forgot Nebraska ... oh, right, their B1G now" :(
  • OU had so many good teams, and my sentimental favorite was the '78 team with (future congressman) J.C. Watt, Billy Sims, and David Overstreet running that wishbone. I still have to agree on their picking the 1974 team, although don't get why they failed to mention that the D-Line included the Selmon brothers (Lee Roy and Dewey). They won a national championship, but never played a game after Thanksgiving. Incredible!
  • For ISU, I still rate the '76 team as the best - they were total freaks, even though they weren't invited to a bowl. I also think the 2017 team was more solid than 2000. The 2000 team got blown out multiple times, while the 2017 team was 11-2 against the spread. That just does not happen.

Agree, it’s a compelling off-season series. Also agree, OU had several killer teams in '70s/early '80s. Wishbone was deadly.

I wonder if, for programs like ISU’s, they spent less time digging into the past. If we look all the way back, cases could be made for 1938, 1944, 1960, 1971, ’76 (as you mentioned) and ’77. I’m not informed historically enough to know how the pre-Bruce seasons could be compared to ’00. As CBS article states, 9-win season and first bowl win seems like a safe bet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron