How would this affect fandom in the state?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If these numbers played out how does that affect the balance of fandom in this state? Ankeny would pretty much be connected to Ames at that level. WDM would also have over 100k and the Des area would pushing 1,000,000 people if not surpassing it. ISU is already the largest school in the state and growing rapidly. The next decade and two decades should be interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/638199002

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
What's kindof interesting about those numbers is that Ames is usually knocked as a college town that only really exists because of the university where as Iowa City has this reputation as some sort of urban campus environment where the university is just part of the perks.

I would have thought Iowa City had more residents.

Also Waterloo feels a lot bigger than Ames...

Last note: Waterloo and Davenport are going to lose population? I know its a bummer to live in either but they haven't lost industry and aren't leaking like jobs that I was aware. They are just turning into kindof trashy cities (Like Dubuque was turning into before IBM said "peace")

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
If these numbers played out how does that affect the balance of fandom in this state? Ankeny would pretty much be connected to Ames at that level. WDM would also have over 100k and the Des area would pushing 1,000,000 people if not surpassing it. ISU is already the largest school in the state and growing rapidly. The next decade and two decades should be interesting.

I live in Ankeny. It is growing north, east and west. Not much to the south. Moved here 6 years ago. My observations: lots of younger people plus many school age families. It seems to me the “young” people are Cyclone leaning population, whereas the “old” folks probably lean Hawkeye. As the greater Des Moines area grows, I think it will help ISU. Many ISU grads are moving to the area. It is the largest TV , market in the state. Soon, I think, one in four Iowans will live in the area. ISU needs up continue to cultivate the area. It used to bug me when I lived in Waterloo that it seemed like ISU only worried about central Iowa. Well, an emphasis here makes sense, this is where the people are, and where the young people are moving. At 130,000 Ankeny will still not be very close to Ames. I live in north Ankeny. Without traffic, I can be at Hilton/Trice in 30 minutes, so it it about the same time as ValleyWest Mall. But I think ISU needs to promote the proximity to the greater Des Moine area.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Agreed.

ISU will churn out more fans but as long as UI produces more doctors and lawyers their AD will have more cash. The economics alone should put UI athletics ahead of ISU athletics all the time in every sport. That's why I praise JP every chance I get.

But if our AD can keep giving these new grads a reason to cheer for ISU over UI it will indeed be an interesting couple of decades.*

*Will require continued excellent leadership

Personally I just wish that we could get to the Orange Bowl someday.

Reactions: The_Architect

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
What's kindof interesting about those numbers is that Ames is usually knocked as a college town that only really exists because of the university where as Iowa City has this reputation as some sort of urban campus environment where the university is just part of the perks.

Last note: Waterloo and Davenport are going to lose population? I know its a bummer to live in either but they haven't lost industry and aren't leaking like jobs that I was aware. They are just turning into kindof trashy cities (Like Dubuque was turning into before IBM said "peace")
Lived in Waterloo most of my life. Would still live there if it were not for grandkids. Great place, loved living there, many great people. One think I dislike about Ankeny is the almost total lack of diversity. Not the true face of America.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I legitimately think over the next decade or two Iowa State overtakes the Des Moines metro area as the preferred University/sports team. I also think we take over pretty much the entire state besides the SE quadrant that would include CR, IC, Dubuque, and the Quad Cities.

The alumni base is growing rapidly with these large classes and many of the alumni are staying in Iowa.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Waterloo and Davenport aren't attracting new families. Young families aren't going there and populations can't be sustained without new to replace the old. Unless they are all vampires and live forever.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Lived in Waterloo most of my life. Would still live there if it were not for grandkids. Great place, loved living there, many great people. One think I dislike about Ankeny is the almost total lack of diversity. Not the true face of America.
You bring up a great point. On a smaller scale, my kids went to Linn-Mar and it is the Ankeny of the CR metro area. I'm not a big fan of Linn-Mar from a diversity standpoint. I'm making the assumption that you are correct about Ankeny since I have no first-hand knowledge.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
But if our AD can keep giving these new grads a reason to cheer for ISU over UI it will indeed be an interesting couple of decades.*

*Will require continued excellent leadership

Yeah, when can Iowa get their version of Gordon P. Eaton, to destroy athletics for about 20 years?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Hokdom will not let it be known that Iowa City is just another small college town with a large shopping center connected to it. Add in subdivision USA around it and it's apparently a metropolis.

Waterloo has more of a downtownish area so feels more like a city vs Ames. Cedar Rapids is kind of like that even though it's lightly populated.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You bring up a great point. On a smaller scale, my kids went to Linn-Mar and it is the Ankeny of the CR metro area. I'm not a big fan of Linn-Mar from a diversity standpoint. I'm making the assumption that you are correct about Ankeny since I have no first-hand knowledge.

They're probably very similar in that way, and also in the ability to continue to grow geographically while more metro-based schools can't.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Hokdom will not let it be known that Iowa City is just another small college town with a large shopping center connected to it. Add in subdivision USA around it and it's apparently a metropolis.

Waterloo has more of a downtownish area so feels more like a city vs Ames. Cedar Rapids is kind of like that even though it's lightly populated.

Waterloo is a mostly a DUMP! Drive through on 218/380 you have GD stoplights on your only main way through town if driving Avenue of the Saints and potholed filled streets. Takes FOREVER to get through town.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I think part of the reason Waterloo feels bigger is because Cedar Falls is seamlessly attached which pushes the total between the two Cities up to 100,000.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Waterloo takes a lot of heat for a 10 block area that you have to go out of your way to get to.

The southern part of the city is booming with tons of new houses and they're about to outgrow the elementary school my daughter goes to and it was just built in 2011. The true downtown area is also up and coming with tons of new businesses.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
The area between Des Moines and Ames is seeing the beginnings of incredible growth. Ankeny is obviously going to be the big driver for the next 20 years, but keep an eye on places like Polk City, Huxley, and Bondurant.

As Ankeny and Ames grow towards 6-figure populations, more people will look outside of those boundaries for a "nice, small community" to raise their family. It's already happening.

In 2010, Polk City, Huxley, and Bondurant had a combined population of 10,000. Now they are pushing 15,000. That's 5-6% annual growth. Towns that size do not organically grow at that rate, if at all. It is a 2nd ring of suburban growth - suburbs of the suburbs. By the time Ankeny and Ames are > 100k, each of those three towns will probably be in the 10-20k range themselves. Drive through those towns or browse the real estate ads and you will see new construction and housing developments springing up. Even the tiny towns (Slater/Sheldahl, Alleman, and Elkhart) are seeing population growth. In 20 years, the entire area (Ankeny to Ames) could be upwards of 300k people within 20 minutes of Iowa State.

All that said, I would certainly hope that ISU would make an investment to ensure that the area of southern Story County and northern Polk County becomes a stronghold of Cyclone fans and supporters, similar to the way that the area between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City is Hawkeye Country. The growth has already started and there's so much potential yet to be realized.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I don't like judging a town solely based on population. a bunch of cul-de-sacs and strip malls doesn't make a community better or worse. if you put ankeny on steroids, like this article does, it doesn't really change anything. still no downtown or heart of the community, still no history, etc. it's like saying mesa arizona is more important to the economy than minneapolis because it has more people. yeah, but it's just beige (now grey) colored houses.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dualthreat

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The thing that bugs me the most about Ankeny is that everything is funneled through 3 or 4 main roads.

I'm not a big fan of the suburb sprawl and cookie cutter houses either

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron