A good run of bad luck

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I guess I can't call it luck because it was my fault. In 30 years of driving, I'd never had an at-fault accident. This weekend I had my second in three months and was cited for failing to yield just for kicks. Feeling like such an idiot right now.

Ironically, when it happened I was on my way to buy a car for my daughter, which I went through with anyway. Got it home and said,"Here's your car, honey. Uhhh, and I need to borrow it for a while." She can't drive till later in the summer anyway, so no big deal for her.

So, anyone want to share their stories about streaks of bad luck?

Reactions: khardbored

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
About 9-11 years ago, I had an unprecedented run of deaths and family health issues where I feel like I spent a good portion of the time in hospitals. Every issue since then has been trivial in comparison.

But since the topic is here: My runs of bad luck usually involve unexpected costs and are really just first-world problems.

We'd been setting money aside for a nice overseas trip, but then last year, my transmission went out. We weighed the costs and ended up getting a new car. Plan on hold for a bit.

Then we got the account back up and started researching trips again. I stupidly started watching rates versus just booking the damn thing. In February, a trip to the dentist for my daughter reveals that she's needing braces later this year. Again, we put the plans on hold for a bit while we budgeted that in. No biggie, we can work around it.

A month later, our garage door keypad stops working. Since my garage door looks a little rough (the other day I came home to a damn squirrel chewing on by garage door-WTF?!?) and probably needs replacing, we're shopping around for a new door and opener. Not great, but not a huge deal. We can work around it.

Two weeks ago, our AC starts rattling and stops cooling. Yep, coil is bad and the unit still uses R22 refrigerant (which is being phased out by EPA by 2020). The cost to replace the coil is like 70% of the cost of new unit. Plus, I'd be throwing money at a unit that will not have refrigerant in a couple years, so...new unit.

I know it's all home ownership stuff, but I'd kill for a few $100-$200 repairs versus some of my recent gouges.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
3 deer hits in 18 months while living in northern Wi. and working 3rd shift. One front end, one right side swipe, and a left front fender. Needless to say I think there are too many deer.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerclone33

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
3 deer hits in 18 months while living in northern Wi. and working 3rd shift. One front end, one right side swipe, and a left front fender. Needless to say I think there are too many deer.

I've been trying to thin out the herd up on Madeline Island since 1969. Just can't seem to get on top of it, though..........

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

That's probably less deer hits per month than the average for Wisconsin. So GOOD luck, not bad.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I guess I can't call it luck because it was my fault. In 30 years of driving, I'd never had an at-fault accident. This weekend I had my second in three months and was cited for failing to yield just for kicks. Feeling like such an idiot right now.

Ironically, when it happened I was on my way to buy a car for my daughter, which I went through with anyway. Got it home and said,"Here's your car, honey. Uhhh, and I need to borrow it for a while." She can't drive till later in the summer anyway, so no big deal for her.

So, anyone want to share their stories about streaks of bad luck?

I'm 50 and dating again. I could start a whole new thread about this. The good news is that I'm getting more pu55y than a crazy cat lady. But my gawd they're nuts...

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

There ARE too many deer. They are the cockroaches of the woods.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
3 deer hits in 18 months while living in northern Wi. and working 3rd shift. One front end, one right side swipe, and a left front fender. Needless to say I think there are too many humans further invading wilderness areas leading to animals overpopulating.

FIFY. But that's for another day.

I've had quite a few deaths over the last few years in my family. Mainly due to age but still eye opening.

My hometown area had a string of some odd deaths of coaches and teachers, and recent former students.

Over the last couple of years I've had my car get hit while parked twice, and just got rear ended a few weeks ago. Thankfully the two parked incidents the people came forward to pay for the repairs, but it's still a pain in the ass for the whole process.

The positive has been gaining experience. For this last incident, I actually helped the person who hit me out by explaining that I'd be getting an estimate, contacting them, and that the repair shop would have to receive payment prior to doing the work*.

*If anyone's wondering what to do if they get hit, that's the general process, especially if they'd rather pay out of pocket instead of going with insurance. A new bumper can cost around $1000 easily.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Over the last couple of years I've had my car get hit while parked twice, and just got rear ended a few weeks ago.

This happen to me as well, but my story goes a little differently. My apartment does not have any off street parking which can be problematic in the winter. I parked my car in an area where I thought I was safe and my wife and I leave a couple of days to go to her family for Christmas. We come back home, but noticed my car wasn't anywhere to be found.

We find out my car car was rear-ended and towed away to somewhere else in town. It was a hit-and-run and the police were unable to figure out who hit my car meaning I had to pay the deductible. I take my car to get fix and the dealership offers me a loaner to drive while they fix my car. Before I leave with my loaner car, they warn me that any damage that happens to the loaner will be on my insurance, and I figured that sounded agreeable.

That night I park my loaner on the opposite side of the street where my own car was hit, because in my estimation that was by far the safer side. Well anyway that night, a snowstorm happens and somebody hits the front end of my my loaner car. This person was an uninsured driver, and I have to pay the deductible yet again. So in matter of a couple of days I had to pay my deductible twice for a car that simply parked.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Quite some time ago, had a softball game at River Valley Park in Ames.
Trading in my car the next day. Well, a guy was backing up and hit the gas (floored it), t-boned our car. Panicked and kept flooring it - really did a number on the drivers side...find out his insurance had lapsed!

Help Support Us

Become a patron