Kyle Kempt Bashing

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
If not Kempt, who should start? Park? Norland? You continues to bash Kempt at every opportunity and gives back-handed complements.

Dude, I appreciate your passion and all but the game/season are over, we won, it was a great ride & your boy played well enough when called upon to bring us a tremendous year....you really gotta let it go & just enjoy the moment.

It's already tough enough being a Cyclone fan, no need to exacerbate the experience by having unnecessary pissing matches with your fellow fans about trappings that really make no difference in the grand scheme of things. Again, enjoy the ride & be thankful we had all the opportunities to experience the success we did this season.

Also, learn the names of the players you're dogging on.

• Winner
Reactions: WastedTalent

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The thing is I don’t think there is a Cyclone fan who couldn’t be more grateful and thankful for what he has done for us this year. I don’t think ink anyone doesn’t want him to be successful the issue is I and others think Noland gives us a better chance to win. Sure Noland may make mistakes but yesterday Kempt made plenty of mistakes too. Noland has much better arm talent and is the future. I’d be happy to have Kempt back as a backup or grad assistant to help the young guys grow next year but to be successful we will need a better quarterback. That is nothing against Kempt it’s just reality.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
What Kyle throws is an extremely catchable ball, catchable by anyone. Fortunately our tall athletic receivers get almost all of those balls. He plays like a 5th year senior, he just has a very marginal division 1 arm. If you combined Park's arm with Kyle's head, you have a Heisman candidate. Saying a guy plays well in-spite of his physical limitations is one of the greatest compliments you can give. It speaks to his work ethic. Kyle is an amazing story and amazing player in the right place at the right time.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
If I hear "Kempt should have thrown it away" one more time...

That reminds me of the quote that convinced me CPR should be gone. It was I think Lazard's first TD on a jump ball thrown while guarded by a 5'9" corner. CPR said the QB should never have thrown the ball.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
The thing is I don’t think there is a Cyclone fan who couldn’t be more grateful and thankful for what he has done for us this year. I don’t think ink anyone doesn’t want him to be successful the issue is I and others think Noland gives us a better chance to win. Sure Noland may make mistakes but yesterday Kempt made plenty of mistakes too. Noland has much better arm talent and is the future. I’d be happy to have Kempt back as a backup or grad assistant to help the young guys grow next year but to be successful we will need a better quarterback. That is nothing against Kempt it’s just reality.
If Noland gives us a better chance to win, why did CMC had chosen Kempt as the starting QB? The coaching staffs had seen both Kempt and Noland every day in practice. I trust their judgment over any football experts on this message board any days.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
For me, the most impressive games for Kyle were his 50 or so before the Oklahoma game.
Dude didnt get a sniff of starting, across multiple schools, yet he continued to work hard, hone his game and stay positive. Its easy to practice hard when you know you're gonna play, bust your azz all week then hold a clipboard? Not so much.
Character is determined by what you do when no one is watching. Kyle has it in spades.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I agree with other posters. His game was more a result of outstanding receivers bailing him out many times. Just a shaky day as his passes were wobbly, late, etc much of the time. It was just one game though. And this is a team game. Team performed well enough to win and that’s all that matters.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Kempt’s season reminds me a lot of Case Keenum’s season. Both are playing well enough to get the job done and having better than expected seasons respectively. But neither are doing enough on a consistent basis to silence their critics (ie lack of arm strength, missing open receivers, poor pocket awareness, etc). Because of this the door will always be open for people to want more (ie the arm strength or mobility of Park and Noland for the Cyclones or Bradford and Bridgewater for the Vikings respectively) instead of appreaciating what they have which is consistent QB stats and position stability.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
If Noland gives us a better chance to win, why did CMC had chosen Kempt as the starting QB? The coaching staffs had seen both Kempt and Noland every day in practice. I trust their judgment over any football experts on this message board any days.
I think he meant next season.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
We were a few TDs which ended up being Field goals, close to the end zone from having a double digit winning season and playing in the BIG 12 championship game.

One of the best seasons and also one of the most brutal nut kick seasons.

Yeah. 8-5 with those five losses coming by a combined 25 points. We were high-end competitive, stunning what with a few weaknesses we had to cover up.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
From reading what seems like a billion posts on this issue leads me to the following conclusion. I have and will continue to defer to and respect the decisions that CMC and staff make personnel wise. Being an old, I mean really old, coach has led me to think it would be stupid of me to think otherwise. That being said, JUST WIN BABY!

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
From ESPN stats:

Kempt: -------- 85.1 qb rating
Ferguson: ---- 50.1 qb rating

I watched the game again last night. I remember two passes in which Lazard had to comeback-make excellent catches. There were many other passes that Kyle executed flawlessly (and several he didn't).

Sideline outs right on target; hitting Butler in stride (remember in the past when iSu qbs would regularly overthrow receivers in this situation?); some right-on-target passes dropped (Butler's drop deep down the sideline); several times Kyle looped the ball perfectly over coverage into the hands of our receivers. All this on a blustery, cold day in Memphis.

Kempt outpassed Ferguson 314 yards to 286 yards, allowed iSu to control the ball 37:49 to 22:11 thus minimizing Memphis's possession opportunities and keeping our defense fresh.

IMHO, Kyle completing 63 percent of his passes and allowing the iSu offense to control the ball for nearly 38 minutes without a running game was sensational qb play. Kempt outplayed Ferguson.

What more could we fairly want from this kid?

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah. 8-5 with those five losses coming by a combined 25 points. We were high-end competitive, stunning what with a few weaknesses we had to cover up.

The texas game in which we got beat by 10 was because of Parks multiple interceptions trying to force it into double coverage. Park would have played conservatively and kept they game much closer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron