Kyle Kempt Bashing

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s silly to even type this because I’m sure he won’t get the 6th year, but one thing that we have to remember is he only first started working with thd starters in October.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I think the Kempt/Park discussion is much like many recruiting discussions and I'll use an old farming analogy to make it clear. If you were farming before tractors and wanted to get a field plowed quickly because you thought a rain was coming, would you substitute one race horse into a four mule hitch? Coaching a football team is a hyped-up example of the key component to the effectiveness of an assembly line, an athletic team with two or more players in the play (think tennis doubles vs. singles), dance lines, etc. That component is the fit of the pieces. Imagine if you tried to assemble a car by taking the best pieces from several different cars. Take the best engine, the best brakes, the best suspension, the best safety features, the best emissions components, the most comfortable seats, etc. Now try to put them together. Would you have the perfect vehicle? You would struggle to even get it to run. The most difficult job a coach has to do is to gather, assemble, and use the most effective combination of players available. Coach Campbell would probably tell you he has made mistakes but, all-in-all, I think we can agree that on average he gets it right enough. Kempt did what his coach thought Kempt could do and wanted Kempt to do and that's success for the team. Perfect.

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
There are hundreds if not thousands of ISU fans who post their opinions on here. We shouldn't be surprised if there are a few who think we won in spite of Kempt. They value stars, buzz, arm strength and pizzazz over determination, consistency, decision-making and execution.

I believe Park and Kempt both started 8 games. Park's best win was probably against an Akron team that went 7-6. Kempt won 5 games against the meat of our schedule and damn near ran the table. Kempt was consistently good and helped turn ISU from a horrible 3rd down team to a great 3rd down team (with help from Lanning). I would love to see a stat on how many 3 and outs we had in Park's games versus Kempt's. I bet there is a huge difference, and Kempt did it against much better competition.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
When Kempt wins, it is all because of our defense, when Park wins, it is because of his QB plays. Did you know Kempt just set ISU record for a highest completion percentage in a season? To some people, it is either pure luck or he passed to talented receivers (which Park also had) and only completied easy and short passes even though his yard per pass is higher than Park’s.

Why the hell you using common sense in your analysis!!!!!! This post is winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: tolfbfan

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When Kempt wins, it is all because of our defense, when Park wins, it is because of his QB plays. Did you know Kempt just set ISU record for a highest completion percentage in a season? To some people, it is either pure luck or he passed to talented receivers (which Park also had) and only completied easy and short passes even though his yard per pass is higher than Park’s.
Try not using a fallacy. Park has just as much been portrayed as the UT game being his standard. It is not a Kempt vs Park thing, and you making it so indicates you’re using emotion, not logic.

QB play was a lot like the OLine play this year. Good enough to go 8-5 when teamed to a good defense and exceptional talents like Lazard, Montgomery, and Butler. But also with some very real limitations that resulted in 8-5 and struggling for points against defenses like Memphis.

He’s a great story, much like Lanning. And like Lanning he deserves to go down as a great Cyclone. But did Lanning even grade out as our best LB?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Try not using a fallacy. Park has just as much been portrayed as the UT game being his standard. It is not a Kempt vs Park thing, and you making it so indicates you’re using emotion, not logic.

QB play was a lot like the OLine play this year. Good enough to go 8-5 when teamed to a good defense and exceptional talents like Lazard, Montgomery, and Butler. But also with some very real limitations that resulted in 8-5 and struggling for points against defenses like Memphis.

He’s a great story, much like Lanning. And like Lanning he deserves to go down as a great Cyclone. But did Lanning even grade out as our best LB?

He was an All American. I'd say yes.

• Winner
Reactions: madguy30

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
All this Kempt bashing must be coming either from pothead's friends and family or fellow potheads. Park almost single handedly pissed away the TX game probably while he was high as a kite. Leaves the team and goes grocery shopping while Kempt is leading the team to our first victory in Norman. Then Campbell and Co protect him and tell us about a health issue which cause virtually all of Cyclone fans to back Park and wish for him getting better. Then when Kempt goes and makes pothead look like a practice dummy, Park comes out of nowhere and throws his team, coaches and most of us fans that supported him under the bus. Potheads being potheads I guess. I wish we had Kempt the entire year and him getting snaps all year and I bet we have more wins than the 8.

Back to normal programming.....and for the record, I have never met Kempt, or pothead for that matter. I do know that Kempt had a good part among all the other great players and senior class in making this one of the happiest football seasons I've had as an ISU fan. Wish pothead the best too but hopefully he grows up and starts being a responsible parent to his child so she doesn't pull the same crap as her dad......

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

2nd leading tackler in the BIG 12 would say so unless on or our other LB's was #1..... All the while playing special teams and offense. I would think you would know that

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He was an All American. I'd say yes.
2nd leading tackler in the BIG 12 would say so unless on or our other LB's was #1..... All the while playing special teams and offense. I would think you would know that
Most notoriety? Absolutely. Most gifted LB? Perhaps. No one is arguing that he doesn’t deserve the praise.

Tackles are a great headline but that’s a pretty raw metric in terms of grading an impact. He was brand new to defense, let alone LB, so it’s no surprise he didn’t grade out as at the top LB irrc. This is a team game, so missed assignments stick out as much as tackles and sacks.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...sive-players-during-the-2017-season-113156530

Last edited:

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I think people overstate limitations of Kempts arm. He made a lot of great throws in tight windows and threw receivers open well. Having a huge arm is so vastly overrated. It's great to have, but you can be a great QB without it.
His Liberty Bowl pass to Akeem Butler on our first possession was 38 yards in the air against the wind and right on the money. Hit him in full stride for the TD. Not too shabby for arm strength and accuracy and timing.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
In the recruiting scheme sometimes it is hard to decide the mental aspect of a prospect. A lot of coaches will be enamored with Park’s ability (strong arms, etc) but I feel that Kempt has higher celling because of his mental aspects - he is a good game manager and sometimes that’s all you need. Some QB might nothave eye popping stats but they are great game managers. I believe KK is a very good game manager.

Reactions: Sparkplug

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Most notoriety? Absolutely. Most gifted LB? Perhaps. No one is arguing that he doesn’t deserve the praise.

Tackles are a great headline but that’s a pretty raw metric in terms of grading an impact. He was brand new to defense, let alone LB, so it’s no surprise he didn’t grade out as at the top LB irrc. This is a team game, so missed assignments stick out as much as tackles and sacks.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...sive-players-during-the-2017-season-113156530

For some reason I thought we were graduating more off the defensive side of the ball. The numbers certainly like what ISU has coming back though!

Offensively it looks about how I expected, losing a ton there. I know there is a fair amount of talent at the WR position but due to Lazard I feel folks overlooked the contributions from Murdock and Ryen.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Not bashing as much as maybe being critical of the decisions, as well as a pretty rusty throwing arm, there were some drops, there were also some much underthrown passes that the receivers (mostly Lazard) made huge adjustments and great catches.....

I do love his steadiness in possession control games.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Jay Cutler, Jamarcus Russell and numerous other QBs all had great arms. Didn't make them great QBs.