CFTV: Steve Prohm following loss to Milwaukee

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Wait, you’re just now realizing we don’t have any mismatches? I’ll spare you the agony...we also don’t have shooters, handlers, finishers, experience, and right now size. We don’t have a single complete offensive player, although I have hopes for NWB.

Prohm’s given up on the offense, and the aforementioned is why. Unfortunately we also are horrible on defense, but maybe Brase and Lard will help.
Every P5 team should have at least one mismatch against a bad mid-major.

And no, I'm not "just now realizing it".

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Prohm is in trouble, IMO. Not in terms of his job but in terms of this team and their attitude. I didn't see one guy last night, at any point, show leadership. We're too far along with these guys to not have at least one guy who plays that role.

Body language was embarrassing...and if someone doesn't get Beverly some shorts that fit, I might not be able to watch anymore. For God's sake, he spends his entire time on the court pulling his shorts down instead of worrying about things like blocking out, defending and making shots.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
this isn't a thing. you are allowed 2 exhibitions games OR 1 exhibition and 1 secret scrimmage OR 2 secret scrimmages. we chose the 2nd option.

Unfortunately you're wrong. Nebraska scrimmaged us, had a charity exhibition against Mississippi St, and an exhibition game against Northwood.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
this isn't a thing. you are allowed 2 exhibitions games OR 1 exhibition and 1 secret scrimmage OR 2 secret scrimmages. we chose the 2nd option.

It was an exception this year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Prohm is in trouble, IMO. Not in terms of his job but in terms of this team and their attitude. I didn't see one guy last night, at any point, show leadership. We're too far along with these guys to not have at least one guy who plays that role.

Body language was embarrassing...and if someone doesn't get Beverly some shorts that fit, I might not be able to watch anymore. For God's sake, he spends his entire time on the court pulling his shorts down instead of worrying about things like blocking out, defending and making shots.

Honestly, Beverly was one of two that actually was making an effort. Babb sure as hell wasn't.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think anybody with half a lick of sense knew the best case scenario for this team was the first month and a half was going to be rough. I'm not sure any team in the country would get better from losing 4 starters.

Did anyone, on here or otherwise, actually think we would be better than last year?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hurricane relief charity exemption. We turned down Minnesota and Drake.

I didn't realize we turned down Drake. That tells me Prohm wasn't surprised by last night's effort.

Part of me thinks he is doing the Marine's basic training approach. Break them down to nothing and then build them back up. The rub here is even if it works, what will we have for a finished product?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He almost seems like he half expected this to happen tonight.

He's determined that they will play the way that he needs them to play. I don't think he cares if they look terrible doing it. We certainly would have had better results if we hadn't pressured the ball out top and gotten driven around nearly every possession, but he feels like that's what we have to learn to do.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
NWB looked decent in the first half. He seemed off after he came back from the training room in the second half.

John and Eric said that they were retaping his ankle. I thought maybe he'd have a pretty sore knee, as he went straight down on it when he was tripped. Either way, he clearly lost a bit of quickness after that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's determined that they will play the way that he needs them to play. I don't think he cares if they look terrible doing it. We certainly would have had better results if we hadn't pressured the ball out top and gotten driven around nearly every possession, but he feels like that's what we have to learn to do.

The big thing is if the players buy into it or not in the era of 'I want it now'.

I'd hope the new/young players at least were informed that this is what it was going to be like so they were foreshadowed a bit.

Prohm will either look like a genius or a clown by February.

Something I was wondering--if Lard and Brase are as effective as Prohm seems to lead on, what does that do for SY? Talley doesn't have the size but is certainly versatile in his movements and footwork.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

The only leadership I saw came from Brase while he was on the bench.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
"Weve been here, been in these situations"

Weird coach, in all my years of watching ISU basketball im struggling to remember a beatdown in Hilton against a scrub Horizon league team, and I certainly dont remember anything like this in the 2 years you have coached here.

Yes because the coach freaking out like idiot fans would be helpful.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yes because the coach freaking out like idiot fans would be helpful.
Understanding the gravity of his failures and how they fit into the context of past results is critical to understanding the expectations.

Frankly, Prohm quit on this year and banked on being given a mulligan in terms of criticism.