Bulls are already a cluster ****...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Media polls and polls of NBA coaches, players, and front office personnel routinely rate Fred as one of the worst, if not the worst, coaches in the NBA...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19024161/coach-ratings-1-30

Man, our Hilton banner guys Hornacek and Hoiberg are 29th and 30th in this poll. Yeesh. I think they're both intelligent guys and Hornacek got a lot of votes for coach of the year his 1st season at Phoenix. Well, I, for one still pull for them both.

Coaching in those cities when the organizations are terrible will do that to you.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Had nothing to do with having a **** lineup having no time playing together, right?

It's so easy to blame the coach for everything.

I do put the blame on Fred if for no other reason than seemingly everyone could see he was walking in to a situation set up to fail but him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Had nothing to do with having a **** lineup having no time playing together, right?

It's so easy to blame the coach for everything.

Welcome to the NBA -- produce or perish.

I do put the blame on Fred if for no other reason than seemingly everyone could see he was walking in to a situation set up to fail but him.

It still astounds me Fred left for that. I mean, if he was going to go because he did not want to babysit BDJ, wanted the money, and wanted to try his luck against the absolute best in the world, I do get it. What still kind of burns me is it was just a terrible situation for him to go into. Why not wait for New Orleans and Anthony Davis, or say Denver, or Minnesota and all their young talent if you are still having a good time winning in Ames for the moment?

Chicago has the worst front office, unreasonable expectations, an aggressive and insular media, and you are always up against the ghosts of Jackson and Jordan in the United Center. Plus, he inherited a roster that was old, breaking down, about to decline, had poor chemistry, missed and was still loyal to Thibs, and was not a stylistic fit for him whatsoever. I have no idea what he saw there with the basketball situation to be attracted to go there.

And before you say "...but Jimmy Butler," well...

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/kzzjxw/jimmy-butler-has-something-to-say

...he couldn't be happier to be away from Chicago and back to Thibs. Not earning the respect of and being able to work with your All-NBAer is damning for a coach.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This thread title has stars in it, and mentions the Bulls. Might as well keep it as the official season thread for them for this year.

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Welcome to the NBA -- produce or perish.

It still astounds me Fred left for that. I mean, if he was going to go because he did not want to babysit BDJ, wanted the money, and wanted to try his luck against the absolute best in the world, I do get it. What still kind of burns me is it was just a terrible situation for him to go into. Why not wait for New Orleans and Anthony Davis, or say Denver, or Minnesota and all their young talent if you are still having a good time winning in Ames for the moment?

Chicago has the worst front office, unreasonable expectations, an aggressive and insular media, and you are always up against the ghosts of Jackson and Jordan in the United Center. Plus, he inherited a roster that was old, breaking down, about to decline, had poor chemistry, missed and was still loyal to Thibs, and was not a stylistic fit for him whatsoever. I have no idea what he saw there with the basketball situation to be attracted to go there.

And before you say "...but Jimmy Butler," well...

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/kzzjxw/jimmy-butler-has-something-to-say

...he couldn't be happier to be away from Chicago and back to Thibs. Not earning the respect of and being able to work with your All-NBAer is damning for a coach.

Everyone forgets that Hoiberg is friends with Forman, so that was probably another main factor in leaving for that.

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
Fred = Most overrated coach in Cyclones basketball history. Can I get credit for starting this narrative or is it taken?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Pathetic defensive effort tonight by Bulls - sorry that's on Fred.
If he wasn't an ISU legend, every NBA fan on this board would rank him one of the worst NBA coaches.

He's obviously not a good NBA coach. However, he's a big boy, he did everything he wanted to do at ISU, and he's doing what he wants to do now. For the love of God I cannot figure out why people hold that against him.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Are people really criticizing Fred for the Bulls getting beat last night with the lineup they have?? Seems like some just want to criticize him.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Pathetic defensive effort tonight by Bulls - sorry that's on Fred.
If he wasn't an ISU legend, every NBA fan on this board would rank him one of the worst NBA coaches.

This is just ignorant. That lineup they threw out there is the worst in the league.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
He's obviously not a good NBA coach. However, he's a big boy, he did everything he wanted to do at ISU, and he's doing what he wants to do now. For the love of God I cannot figure out why people hold that against him.
Was Brad Stevens thought of as a good coach after his first 2 years?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Oh please. Fred doesn't demand as much effort from players as top coaches do. It's easy to see.

Hah. That's a piping hot take. You have any actual insight on that line of ********?

To be fair, I'm only curious because I'm pretty sure your bush league response is going to make me chuckle.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
And it’s that bad, in part, because Fred couldn’t make it work with players like jimmy butler.

Ok, if you want to say they didn't do as well the last two years as they should have... ok that's a reasonable opinion. But that is not what is being talked about. I know you hate the Bulls, but you can't look at the game last night against a good Toronto team and say, man Fred really coached a bad game considering the players they have.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, if you want to say they didn't do as well the last two years as they should have... ok that's a reasonable opinion. But that is not what is being talked about. I know you hate the Bulls, but you can't look at the game last night against a good Toronto team and say, man Fred really coached a bad game considering the players they have.

No doubt. Look, I think Fred is a good coach. I find it baffling that hasn’t been able to figure out the NBA thing yet.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Was Brad Stevens thought of as a good coach after his first 2 years?

For many reasons, yes. Go back and read Bill Simmons and Zack Lowe articles from Grantland around that time. I'm not qualified to say if he's good or not, but I'll take the opinion of those involved with the game.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Yes, there's a chicken salad out of chicken whatever element involved here.

I'll take basically no players and go to war in the most competitive league on the planet.

Ain't happening.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron