Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
The ToysRUs by me always looks like a ghost town. I've often wondered how they could stay in business. They used to stay open until 11PM during weekends. It seemed like a really poor decision from a staffing/operation cost versus profit margin standpoint.

It's too bad really. They keep a really clean store and their prices and variety are both better than WalMart and Target.

11 seems awfully late. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the whole Amazon/website purchasing that is taking them down.

I've thought about taking Z to the store and just let her run around in it. Thankfully the store is far enough away to make me not want to go.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
When my kids were little, around Christmas time, I always went to Toys R Us when they were in bed. Loved the 11:00 p.m. closing.
I take my kids to US Toy here in Plano, TX. I think they also have in KC, although it is called Creative Playthings over there. Great store and they love it. They get to play with all the hats, puppets, swords, shields, etc. HIGHLY recommended!

http://www.ustoy.com/

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
It's Texas, probably oil under it so take the 5-10 acres.
I really don't mind the driving, but it would be closer to and hour and a half driving for my wife (75 miles). We could also move to Fort Worth for a similar house with a decent amount of land, but traffic going from Fort Worth to Dallas is an absolute beast.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I really don't mind the driving, but it would be closer to and hour and a half driving for my wife (75 miles). We could also move to Fort Worth for a similar house with a decent amount of land, but traffic going from Fort Worth to Dallas is an absolute beast.

Is Southfork still empty? Schools and less driving would be my priorities but that may be the house you just sold.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Should I buy a house with 5-10 acres a little over an hour from my work or live in the city (10 minutes from my work) for the same price?

The land sounds great, but there's no way I'd make that drive twice a day.

As it is, I have a 20-25 minute commute (and it's relatively easy as it is) and I count the time spent driving as time I'm away from my family. Maybe I'll look at it differently once my daughter goes off to college, but right now I'm not gonna trade that time for anything.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Should I buy a house with 5-10 acres a little over an hour from my work or live in the city (10 minutes from my work) for the same price?

Much more space out in the country to bury your dead hookers. Or I suppose with your history for your wife to burry you.

ToysRUs is still a thing?

Early this year MrsWx and I went on a riveting date to get some Japanese but didn't want to go home at 7:30 so we walked around Toys R Us for a bit. Even made it home before 9:30!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Would it be consistently an hour commute or is that on a good day? I always liked a little drive home to unwind after work. I'm assuming the city house has a yard and stuff for the kids. Really with the age of your kids I'd put the most value on which house has the better school district. I would pick the acreage, room for the kids to run, dirt bike whatever. Put up a fence and have a couple of cows to use as a tax right off. On the other hand if you don't want to mess around with the extra upkeep the in town one will be much easier. Well so much for my 2 cents from a person you've only met once IRL.

Reactions: GTO

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Speaking of which, I took them out for a nature trail walk this weekend. They also has some animatronic dinosaurs on the trail, so they really liked that. Some older kids were scared of the dinosaurs and their noises, but my 2-year old just laughed and said the dinosaurs were "burping".

View attachment 49993 View attachment 49994

Nice shirt on the older son!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Damn I think she's not going to like that 1.5 hr drive as the kids get busier in school and you are trying to make events. Young kid and M.S. events start pretty darn early (like right after school in Iowa)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I wouldn't count on it. Besides, she can summon her sister Valkyries to the fight (including your wife), whereas us dudes will just watch you lose.
Is this scene the first thing that comes to mind anytime you think of one guy fighting multiple women?
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.