RECRUITING: Zion Griffin commits to Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I mean if you can get 4 I think you obviously take 4. Remember, I am not speculating on who, but there are always transfers, dismissals, or mcneils that can open up one more scholarship.

Yes, of what's left on the current "list", I would take any and all of them too, I'm not saying carry one over just to carry one over.

People that don't play take off, it's just the way it is now.

Reactions: isutrevman

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think the sweet spot for ISU would be recruiting high school kids that are highly ranked but not necessarily one and dones and using the transfer market to plug holes. You certainly don't want to be dependent on transfers, but there's too much talent hitting the market after every season to ignore it either.

This. I don't know why people are so eager to take this program back a decade and just do it the old fashioned way with only HS kids.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I saw Griffen at breakfast on Sunday morning. And, to be honest, I would have guessed he was much taller than 6'6". He looks like he is ready to play basketball.

200w.webp

Thanks for sealing the deal.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This. I don't know why people are so eager to take this program back a decade and just do it the old fashioned way with only HS kids.

It's a different world now in college basketball. You just can't ignore all the players who could make an immediate impact every spring. And the landscape might be shifting again soon too, depending on what the NBA decides to do with its early entry rule.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Only on CF does D Rob help pull a stud out of Chicago and some fans still can't give him credit

Exactly. The coaches also need to be given credit for getting a kid to Ames for a visit. No, we aren't landing every recruit that comes here. But, the likelihood of a commitment increases significantly if we can get a recruit to campus. Also, the recruits we have been getting on campus appear to be consistently higher ranked and desired by other top programs than in the past.

Reactions: LindenCy

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

I don't see anyone saying avoid the transfer market completely.

I happen to think that if we do a good enough job recruiting HS kids, it means less immediate holes to fill in the spring, which means you can be more selective with your transfers.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
By the way. No way that comp rating for 247 is correct. #94 on Rivals, not in the top 100 on Scout, #75 in 247 rankings. And no ranking on ESPN. That does not equal #58. They must have figured in one of Zion Williamson's ratings by accident to raise him by that much. That is the only thing I can think of. I wonder if Halstead knows?

Alex does know and explained his composite ranking.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Only on CF does D Rob help pull a stud out of Chicago and some fans still can't give him credit
I don't follow recruiting enough to make any sort of conclusion, but I think a big concern with him is his previous stint at Iowa State during an underachieving period.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't follow recruiting enough to make any sort of conclusion, but I think a big concern with him is his previous stint at Iowa State during an underachieving period.

I would argue talent was never the problem with those teams.

Sure, TJ brought in many of the biggest horses, but they had some nice pieces.

McDermott just seemed snakebitten by a dozen things while he was in Ames. His system was not a fit for that talent or the Big 12, for that matter, too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

No one is saying that. Most importantly prohm had not said that. He's said he wants a mix of high school, juco, regular transfers, and grads.

But I don't think we can sustain success without high school kids. And there was a big hole since we had stopped recruiting high school kids well after monte.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
You got to remember Prohm likes having sit-outs to cull the list of players needing time.

Three guys in November and carry one over sounds good.

Add to not needing to worry about minutes you also can get a "veteran" player on your scout team for that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.