RECRUITING: Zion Griffin commits to Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Prohm realizes that to set ISU apart from other schools recruiting kids, he has to be a big part of the recruitment from the beginning. It is how he landed Wigginton, and also Lewis after Otz left. The trend with these kids is that Prohm goes all in and recruits them hard along with the assistants, and then like the other day he brought the whole staff in to see some recruits.

Hope Harris is the next to commit.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
That has been Prohm the entire time he's been here. You still have to give the assistant some credit but Prohm's ability to recruit and sell Ames is special.
Especially with fall recruits. Once he figures out how to do the same with spring transfer recruits he is going to be a beast on the recruiting trail.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Especially with fall recruits. Once he figures out how to do the same with spring transfer recruits he is going to be a beast on the recruiting trail.

A lot harder to build a relationship in the Spring in such a short time but I agree. Juiston was an outlier though and he still got a few nice pieces.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
still can't wait to see more "this staff can't recruit" threads later. Hats off to coach Prohm and his staff again!

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Don't be jealous. I know you are envious that Lyons can claim a legend like the hoff and some guy named Jeff who did something basketball related...no idea what ;)
Why would I be jealous, my alma mater has a Male Figure Skating Gold Medalist and a Gold Medalist Swimmer, and has been around about 100+ less years than the old Lyons Lions. ;) Although I am jealous Jeff was a Lion haha

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is part of what bothers me. We are giving Robinson a lot of credit but this article leads me to believe it was the fact that Prohm was really the recruiter that helped set us apart.

Why is it any of your business? If prohm thinks someone isn't doing their job he will fire them.

At a place like Iowa state head coaches have to play a big part in recruiting.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
By the way. No way that comp rating for 247 is correct. #94 on Rivals, not in the top 100 on Scout, #75 in 247 rankings. And no ranking on ESPN. That does not equal #58. They must have figured in one of Zion Williamson's ratings by accident to raise him by that much. That is the only thing I can think of. I wonder if Halstead knows?

Isn't 75 the composite ranking? I thought he was ranked 58th by 247.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Prohm realizes that to set ISU apart from other schools recruiting kids, he has to be a big part of the recruitment from the beginning. It is how he landed Wigginton, and also Lewis after Otz left. The trend with these kids is that Prohm goes all in and recruits them hard along with the assistants, and then like the other day he brought the whole staff in to see some recruits.

Hope Harris is the next to commit.

Other examples include Fred with Georges and Thomas.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've been pretty critical of the staff and recruiting, specifically Robinson. I'll shut up about it. If they can get Harris and Conditt, that's one of the best classes in ISU history right there. Those two classes would be very similiar to the Naz/Georges Monte/Matt back to back classes, and I should probably get a Prohm tattoo on my back.

I was never too concerned about the staff's recruiting efforts, but I don't blame anybody who was after the spring period. That was a heck of a drought, and they ate **** in the transfer market. It seems to me that the thing fans have to get used to is that recruiting against the big boys is going to mean more high profile misses that can make it look worse than it really is. Maybe it all changes once they're not trying to backfill the holes left over from Hoiberg's last two classes and they'll get more selective, but for the time being the staff is casting a wide net.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Why in the world would it bother you that one of our assistants is getting some credit for helping land a recruit? Unless you know how much work each coach put in, why worry about it?
Only on CF does D Rob help pull a stud out of Chicago and some fans still can't give him credit

This and this.

For crying out loud, people, stop trying to find the thorns in the rosebush.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If they add Harris and Conditt, I think it puts to bed the recruiting questions.

If they can keep adding good HS kids, it won't matter if they're not the best at recruiting grad transfers.

In fact it would be ideal if we rarely had to rely on grad transfers anyway.

I think the sweet spot for ISU would be recruiting high school kids that are highly ranked but not necessarily one and dones and using the transfer market to plug holes. You certainly don't want to be dependent on transfers, but there's too much talent hitting the market after every season to ignore it either.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If they add Harris and Conditt, I think it puts to bed the recruiting questions.

If they can keep adding good HS kids, it won't matter if they're not the best at recruiting grad transfers.

In fact it would be ideal if we rarely had to rely on grad transfers anyway.
was just going to post this. hit the nail on the head. And I think it is pretty obvious that is how Prohm would like to recruit regularly, just filling in spots with grad transfers when need be.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
You got to remember Prohm likes having sit-outs to cull the list of players needing time.

Three guys in November and carry one over sounds good.

I mean if you can get 4 I think you obviously take 4. Remember, I am not speculating on who, but there are always transfers, dismissals, or mcneils that can open up one more scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.