RECRUITING: Zion Griffin commits to Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Beating KU for him is big, not only because he'll play for ISU, but also for the boost in perception for the program. Everyone knew KU wanted him and for him to choose ISU and not even visit KU may get other schools to think that ISU has something special going on. When is the last time, if ever, ISU beat KU for a recruit? I'm sure it has happened before, but I just can't remember.

Edit: For example, this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-zion-griffin-commits-to-iowa-st-over-kansas

And this: http://www.csnchicago.com/preps-talk/hinsdale-south-forward-zion-griffin-commits-iowa-state
I hope the transfer strat blows up in Bill's face.

If we somehow pull off a tourney bid this year we could be set for 10 straight.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Beating KU for him is big, not only because he'll play for ISU, but also for the boost in perception for the program. Everyone knew KU wanted him and for him to choose ISU and not even visit KU may get other schools to think that ISU has something special going on. When is the last time, if ever, ISU beat KU for a recruit? I'm sure it has happened before, but I just can't remember.

Edit: For example, this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-zion-griffin-commits-to-iowa-st-over-kansas

And this: http://www.csnchicago.com/preps-talk/hinsdale-south-forward-zion-griffin-commits-iowa-state

Agree. It's not just the recruit, it's who they beat to land him. Huge get in a few different ways.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
I'm planning on making a trip down to the UNM campus the weekend that Conditt visits down here. Gonna be wearing my ISU gear and hope to bump into him so he can say "hmmm, I'm in Albuquerque and I have seen more ISU gear than New Mexico gear... IN NEW MEXICO!" Seriously, nobody wears UNM gear.

Wearing an ISU sweatshirt and red socks ain't gonna impress anybody. Get into the nearest ink parlor and get an 6 inch tall CYCLONES tattoo on your neck.
Do it now! Don't screw this up for us.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Looks like Prohm was involved but you gotta give props to Robinson, he'd been pretty quiet on the trail and a lot of us questioned him as a recruiter, me included. This a great way to get started, let's hope this is just the start of things to come.

I've been pretty critical of the staff and recruiting, specifically Robinson. I'll shut up about it. If they can get Harris and Conditt, that's one of the best classes in ISU history right there. Those two classes would be very similiar to the Naz/Georges Monte/Matt back to back classes, and I should probably get a Prohm tattoo on my back.

Reactions: Frak

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
200.gif

Damn betcha!!!! You GO, Steve!!!!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd love to bring in TH Tucker yet, Id actually prefer him over Conditt, I think were covered with big posts for a few years (next year alone will be Solo, Lard and Jacobsen) and like being able to use a small ball PF at all time so having Griffin and Tucker to use would be amazing. Harris is what would make the class amazing though out of all of the recruits.

I don't think that they can pass on Conditt. It takes awhile to develop most bigs. I'd like to get both THT and Conditt. Of course, that's probably not realistic. You're right on Harris though. Getting him is huge for this class and the program.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Wearing an ISU sweatshirt and red socks ain't gonna impress anybody. Get into the nearest ink parlor and get an 6 inch tall CYCLONES tattoo on your neck.
Nope...He needs to shave his head and get I State tattooed on both sides like a football helmet. No one will see a neck tattoo

Reactions: jcyclonee

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Sure like to put THT in the mix, a floor full of dynamic playmakers will always work.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm planning on making a trip down to the UNM campus the weekend that Conditt visits down here. Gonna be wearing my ISU gear and hope to bump into him so he can say "hmmm, I'm in Albuquerque and I have seen more ISU gear than New Mexico gear... IN NEW MEXICO!" Seriously, nobody wears UNM gear.

Nope...He needs to shave his head and get I State tattooed on both sides like a football helmet. No one will see a neck tattoo
These are good suggestions but he really needs to get a belly tattoo. #rightway

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great to see us get a recruit over Kansas. Also great to see he's excited to be in Ames.

It's not so much the rankings for me as its who else wanted the kid.

I hope for years to come the narrative will change from "KU will win the Big 12 yet again" to "It'll be a battle between the perennial top two programs in KU and ISU" ect.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'd be shocked if we got THT now. Think we get Harris and Conditt for sure though and along with Zion that's incredible.

I really like Fleming in the "playmaker" category as well.
A year of good weight work and conditioning and he'd be great.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Speak of the devil, I think Fred's son Jack played for a different Hinsdale HS than Zion. I wonder if they played each other.

Big difference between Hinsdale South and Hinsdale Central (Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, etc.). Central is a high-demand public school. The bottom end of houses in HC school district start around $400K, and that is probably a house that needs serious updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron