What will success look like? Fall 2017

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Noting first that "how" the season happens is important (health, injuries, near misses, bad calls, etc.)

Success, perhaps only barely for 1 & 2 (any of these) --
1) 3 conference wins. Hasn't happened the last 4 seasons.
2) 5 total wins. Hasn't happened the last 4 seasons.
3) Bowl game. Hasn't happened the last 4 seasons.

Dreaming big --
4) Win a bowl game. Hasn't happened the last 7 seasons.
5) Be ranked. Hasn't happened the last 7 seasons.
6) Finish better than 7th in the conference. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.
7) 4 conference wins. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.
8) Win 7 regular season games. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I suppose 5 wins is progress but I'd like to see more of a jump.

Some solid consistent defense would also be a success.

On CF:

-No meltdowns Saturday night if it's a close 1st half or after the first time ISU punts.
-No passive 'CPR should still be ISU's coach--he just needed one more year' threads if things don't start out very well

Is this place that active during a home game? You would think most posters would be at the game.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I will measure success in PPG. 30 needs to be the expectation, but lets hope for 35. I think a lot of other team goals will be accomplished if the offense can consistently score points.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think progress is key, I don't think a bowl game is necessary. If they win 5 games and the team overall is better then they are heading in the right direction. I think a bowl game is just a plus.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Success is that a team shows continuous improvement throughout the season.

That doesn't always show up in the win-loss record, maybe due to tough breaks and/or tougher teams to be played at the end, when the improvement would have been enough against weaker opponents but not against the Alabama's of the world.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
6-6 and bowling. It's certainly obtainable with the offensive weapons we have. And the defense has more depth than last year, and showed continual improvement thru last season.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Myself, I am expecting a solid win over UNI. A loss there would make it nearly impossible for me to support keeping Coach Campbell barring 7+ wins the rest of the season.

That is pretty rough. It is only one game.

I just want to see year over year progress. I want to see us continue from where we were at the end of 2016 rather than take a step back. If we do that and improve every week, we will win our share of games.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Success is that a team shows continuous improvement throughout the season.

That doesn't always show up in the win-loss record, maybe due to tough breaks and/or tougher teams to be played at the end, when the improvement would have been enough against weaker opponents but not against the Alabama's of the world.
Agree, you can't control the quality of your opponents. Ask me at the end of the season, I will know success when I see it.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Wins against UNI, IA, Akron, Kansas, TT, and one other between UT, Bay, or KSU. It would be really nice to beat both purple kitties in the same season. Six wins and a bowl game is what success looks like to me in 2017. If that happens, I want a lot more in 2018.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Realistic:
5+ wins
3-1 in the first 4

If all else fails I would like to see this team compete and not choke away wins

What I would love to see:
6+ wins
Bowl game
Win bowl game

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Shouldn't the minimum goal every season be to get to a bowl game? If that isn't the minimum goal, then what are you even playing the season for?

With that being said, I guess "success" will probably vary from person to person. Not sure I'd put a win total on it, but you'd like to see at least 4 wins or more to even consider it an improvement over the prior year.

I mostly will go by how the team looks. If we even have one game this year where we play like we did against UNI last year, then it's a fail. We had RB's running into each other in the backfield, false start after false start, calling timeouts because we couldn't get plays in on time, turning the ball over, etc, etc. Just VERY sloppy play. I don't want to see any game like that again under CMC.

So I want to see a competent, smooth running unit on both sides of the ball, and I want to see that there's been an overall talent upgrade too. If we look like a Big 12 team, and the coaches show the ability to put them in the right spots and to react to the situations on the field, then we should all feel pretty good by seasons end..... and I think the win total will show that too.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Success needs to look like a team that is ready to play from the first snap against UNI. It needs to look like ISU is dominating the LOS on both sides of the ball against a lower division team. If this happens the rest of the season will be good, because the team is just plain better in 2017.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I believe we should always beat UNI, but firing a guy after year 2?

ISU should NEVER lose to UNI inside JTS......Campbell is not going anywhere until after at least season five........If CMC wins like I think he will ....Coach Campbell will then move onto a bigger better job.......

Its an endless cycle at Iowa State of hiring a football coach and then firing the coach if unsuccessful...and if the Coach is successful then he moves on and we do the cycle all over again...

I can attest its been that way for the last 55 years....and I don't think that is ever gonna change.....It would be nice if CMC would win a lot of games and stay....

Go Cyclones Destroy the pantherchoke-eyes

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Just beat the bad team like we should (UNI, Iowa, Akron, Kansas, and Tech) and beat 1 more on top of that and we are 6-6 so a bowl game Id say.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I think success would be 5 or 6 wins. 5 would likely get us to a bowl game and that would be huge just for the extra practice.

Also why is everyone so confident we beat iowa? We match up with them worse than about anyone this season. They run the ball very successfully and last season we were God awful at stopping the run. They smoked us last year and people are picking that as a W...strange to me. Nobody gives us a chance against okie state which was on the road last year and we were in it the whole game

Help Support Us

Become a patron