Home Field Advantage

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere at all, but it's one of the biggest points of optimism for me going into this season. It's also another reason I'm all in on the Campbell train. His decision to switch the sidelines at home.

If anybody was unaware, CMC pushed for this because the previous setup allowed other teams to easily watch our sideline from the press box and memorize our play signals in the first half. Ever wonder why we continually fall apart after halftime??? It's because the other team could anticipate the majority of our plays! He knew this because he did it when he played against us while coaching Toledo.

Besides that, the switch also allows the teams to not have to awkwardly cross anymore, and our student section can now heckle the opposing team all game! Basically, CMC is bringing home field advantage back and it has me pumped.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wow...I didn't know about the signal watching thing, makes sense.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere at all, but it's one of the biggest points of optimism for me going into this season. It's also another reason I'm all in on the Campbell train. His decision to switch the sidelines at home.

If anybody was unaware, CMC pushed for this because the previous setup allowed other teams to easily watch our sideline from the press box and memorize our play signals in the first half. Ever wonder why we continually fall apart after halftime??? It's because the other team could anticipate the majority of our plays! He knew this because he did it when he played against us while coaching Toledo.

Besides that, the switch also allows the teams to not have to awkwardly cross anymore, and our student section can now heckle the opposing team all game! Basically, CMC is bringing home field advantage back and it has me pumped.

Can't they just as easily watch our sideline from their sideline, press box view or not? If opponents can easily figure out our signals, then we need to disguise the signals better or at least be less predictable or expand the playbook so they can't figure out the entire thing in 40 first half offensive plays. Moving sidelines certainly isn't going to hurt (and it certainly eliminates the dumb cross field thing), but I don't think it is a huge problem.

Our second half issues have infinitely more to do with a lack of depth at many positions.

We have to be reminded to make noise on 3rd down in any game within 30 points. We have a significant portion of the crowd that doesn't make it back to their seats until 5 minutes left in the third, if they come back at all, and a fair number that will leave a one score game 5 minutes early. I could hear individual conversations on the other side of the stadium last year during the UNI game, when we were on defense. Until those are corrected, we will not have a true home field advantage, aside from lack of travel for the team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The signals aren't the issue after halftime.

I hought the switch was to do with the sun.

It would be fun to see ISU get something going to make JTS be a tough place to play. Starts with winning the game.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree with switching sidelines, but I don't think it will help with home field advantage in any way, other than possibly the fact our coaching staff won't have to stare directly into the sun on late afternoons.

Why wouldn't opposing coaches still be able to watch our sidelines from the press box after we switch sidelines?? Not sure I get that? And what does not crossing the field with the other team have to do with our home field advantage?

It just logistically makes a lot of sense. It's much easier for a staffer to run back to the locker rooms during the game if we're on the same side as the tunnel for example.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The signals aren't the issue after halftime.

I hought the switch was to do with the sun.

It would be fun to see ISU get something going to make JTS be a tough place to play. Starts with winning the game.

Our fans are incredible at buying tickets to football games for a team that doesn't win much at all, that's a fact. However, our fans are not the greatest fans once their ticket has been bought IMO. Now.... with the lack of success, you can't really blame them at all though, so I think it will be up to CMC and JP to start winning again to correct that.

But it's hard to deny that our fans show up late to the game from tailgating, and then leave at halftime and many don't come back at all or show up quite late. I understand they have every right to do that since they bought a ticket and financially support the program, but I just wish some would think about the players more. Who wants to run out on the field to start the game, or after halftime to a stadium that isn't full? After halftime, in fact, it's barely half full sometimes, even in close games, until midway through the 3rd quarter.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Why wouldn't opposing coaches still be able to watch our sidelines from the press box after we switch sidelines?? Not sure I get that?

I'm not sure I buy the signals thing, but can you see what someone is doing better if they're facing you or with their back turned? How about trying to view them through a 100 players or when they're at the front of the team?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Are teams really able to "steal signs" from other teams anymore these days anyway?

You'll see some teams have the 3 backup QB's all hand signal something in from the sideline, so you'd have to be able to guess which one of them is the real sign.

Or they'll use those big sign boards with like 4-6 meaningless pictures on them. So are teams able to guess which of those pictures is the real one?

I just don't think that happens that often at all. And additionally, these days you wouldn't have time to signal into your defense what they're running and have them adjust on time with how fast offenses are going.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I park in my assigned lot when it opens. There is plenty of time to tailgate and take my kids to the area where they can play and meet Cy and such and get into the stadium in time for all the pregame performances and the team entry. As a person who has attended games since JTS opened in 1975, I have never understood how football fans could not be in the seats for the game....at least be in the seats until the game is out of hand. Yes, I have seen LOTS of games get out of hand.

I like beer, but I can have one less beer in order to make it to my seat on time. I bet others can do that, too, if they really want to make JTS a tougher venue for opponents.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

We switched sidelines- we did not switch the talent and coaching on those sidelines- those will be going to the other side. I see reason for hope and optimism but the biggest reason for losing at home as much as we do is not about signals, it is about the other guys simply being better year after year.

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
I agree we have many more issues than whether or not people can watch our signals. I agree there are other logistical reasons for moving. I agree this won't automatically make us God's gift to football while playing at home.

But... There is a reason for crazy signal calling systems. There is a reason for fast offenses. Defenses will do whatever it takes to know the offensive play before it starts. While you can read signals every play, it is much harder to compare it to an entire scheme unless you are looking down on it from a press box.

I'm not saying this is the only issue we have ever had, I'm just excited that we have a coach that is willing to openly admit our disadvantages and actually do something about them! No matter how small it may be, it still negates the risk of it happening in the future!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I thought the switch was to do with the sun.

I was under the same impression (that and the teams crossing during entrance).

Does anyone know what percentage of FBS schools have sidelines opposite from press box and which are on same side? I'm curious and I'm unsuccessful web-searching for it.

I've had an assumption having sideline across the field from press box is rooted in TV cameras showing the home team from the front. Completely guessing here.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I would guess that every program has someone assigned to watching the opponents signals and charting plays. You get someone with a good aptitude for statistics and report to the coaches at half. They can probably catch some of that on film as well. It would be dumb not to try.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Just from my experience in Big 12 stadiums the visiting teams are almost all facing the press box. The ones I know for sure are OU, TCU, UT, OSU and now Iowa State. I am pretty sure Iowa has the visiting team looking at the press box also.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
We switched sidelines- we did not switch the talent and coaching on those sidelines- those will be going to the other side. I see reason for hope and optimism but the biggest reason for losing at home as much as we do is not about signals, it is about the other guys simply being better year after year.

I agree Land Shark re the other guys simply being better...also most of our opposing coaches are far better at recruiting than our football coaches here at Iowa State.......

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I park in my assigned lot when it opens. There is plenty of time to tailgate and take my kids to the area where they can play and meet Cy and such and get into the stadium in time for all the pregame performances and the team entry. As a person who has attended games since JTS opened in 1975, I have never understood how football fans could not be in the seats for the game....at least be in the seats until the game is out of hand. Yes, I have seen LOTS of games get out of hand.

I like beer, but I can have one less beer in order to make it to my seat on time. I bet others can do that, too, if they really want to make JTS a tougher venue for opponents.
The fans have 100% done their part. We can in no way blame or critisize the fan support.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Just from my experience in Big 12 stadiums the visiting teams are almost all facing the press box. The ones I know for sure are OU, TCU, UT, OSU and now Iowa State. I am pretty sure Iowa has the visiting team looking at the press box also.

I'm almost sure that Iowa State was the only Big 12 stadium where the home team's sideline was not the press box side. So now that we have switched I think they are all the same. ISU's set up was unusual.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500