Iowa basketball gets a favorable schedule (again)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
  • Informative
Reactions: SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This is being discussed on the "B1G basketball is in a bad place" thread, which is apparently striving to be the longest-running sports thread ever at CF. I go there every so often just to see CyTwins single-handedly fight the good fight, and to see how many times the EIU folks on the thread say that the "future is bright for the Hokeyes!" (gag reflex now kicking in)

Reactions: rholtgraves

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Unless they got a new coach and a new backcourt they aren't going to be in contention for anything

Completely taking my hawkeye hater blinders off, I don't see how you wouldn't include them in the short list of contenders. They have some good pieces coming back and I don't know how strong the Big 10 will be.

But I suppose I do agree with you that until Fran proves he's not going to have a 2nd half collapse when Iowa has a shot, I doubt they'll get the ship.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2294/year/2016 look at all those red L's late in the season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Completely taking my hawkeye hater blinders off, I don't see how you wouldn't include them in the short list of contenders. They have some good pieces coming back and I don't know how strong the Big 10 will be.

But I suppose I do agree with you that until Fran proves he's not going to have a 2nd half collapse when Iowa has a shot, I doubt they'll get the ship.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2294/year/2016 look at all those red L's late in the season.

They can't defend, their backcourt sucks and they have Fran. That's not even being biased against them that's just the truth. There is a reason nobody outside of the state expects them to even make the tournament.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
They can't defend, their backcourt sucks and they have Fran. That's not even being biased against them that's just the truth. There is a reason nobody outside of the state expects them to even make the tournament.
According to Wade Lookingbill, Isaiah Moss had NBA scouts in a frenzy at Iowa practices.
Joe Weiskamp is almost as good as Harrison Barnes, and will be an NBA 2 guard.
Oh and don't get me started on Patrick McCaffery aka Keith Van Horn.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
According to Wade Lookingbill, Isaiah Moss had NBA scouts in a frenzy at Iowa practices.
Joe Weiskamp is almost as good as Harrison Barnes, and will be an NBA 2 guard.
Oh and don't get me started on Patrick McCaffery aka Keith Van Horn.

Moss is hot garbage.

• Optimistic
  • Dislike
Reactions: MVCchamps and Rough

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

As long as they leave Hilton with a loss, I don't care
You're ignoring the Fran effect.

You didn't read my next post in the thread. I totally agree with you.

Two years ago Iowa was 10-1 and finished 12-6. I wonder what the standings were like when they were 10-1.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's easy to look at the conference schedule and say that Iowa got a favorable draw but with their really weak non con, they won't ave a ton of wiggle room. Iowa has 2 chances to pick up a quality road win in their non con and those are at Iowa State and at Va Tech. Neither will be easy. Much like last year, Iowa's RPI will be really low going into conference play and if they are 10-8 like last year they will be on the outside looking in.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
They do get a favorable schedule. But the Big Ten is also not very good this year. I think Wisconsin is going to be down. Indiana and OSU are down. And those are three teams that are usually pretty good. Michigan won't be as good as last year. I think MSU, Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota, and Northwestern will all be good. Well MSU will be really good.

The reason they didn't get in last year was their bad losses in the non con. If they wouldn't have had those they would have been a tournament team. So if they only lose to ISU and Vtech in the non con and have a winning record in conference. They will be in.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They do get a favorable schedule. But the Big Ten is also not very good this year. I think Wisconsin is going to be down. Indiana and OSU are down. And those are three teams that are usually pretty good. Michigan won't be as good as last year. I think MSU, Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota, and Northwestern will all be good. Well MSU will be really good.

The reason they didn't get in last year was their bad losses in the non con. If they wouldn't have had those they would have been a tournament team. So if they only lose to ISU and Vtech in the non con and have a winning record in conference. They will be in.

Wisconsin will be better than Iowa this year. Book it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Why? They are going to struggle to defend again and lost their best player. Their backcourt will suck and Pemsl and Cook can't defend.

I do think that they can replace Jok's ppg but IMO the intangibles that Jok brought to the court will be hard to replace unless someone steps up big time. Jok's ability to knock down the tough shot was a very underappreciated aspect of his game. It took us half of the season last year to figure out life without Niang and I expect Iowa to experience the same growing pains without Pete.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Iowa would also play Cincinnati on a neutral court if both teams win their first two games in the Cayman Islands.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I do think that they can replace Jok's ppg but IMO the intangibles that Jok brought to the court will be hard to replace unless someone steps up big time. Jok's ability to knock down the tough shot was a very underappreciated aspect of his game. It took us half of the season last year to figure out life without Niang and I expect Iowa to experience the same growing pains without Pete.

The problem is they don't have any good guards to replace Jok. Their strength is their bigs so that will be interesting to see how it all works out.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The B1G won't be as bad as it was last year. Wisconsin always ends up being a much better team than expected. Indiana has some pieces to work with and has one of the best home court advantages in the conference. They also have a coach now too... I'll give you OSU, they are going to be bad.