RECRUITING: Hans Brase sets official visit (COMMITS)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Prohm is on record saying Weller-Babb has NBA potential so I happen to think he'll be the starter to at least start the year. I think most have some questions about his outside shooting. Prhom's push for a guard was to get an additional 3 pt shooter to help spread the floor in case we do see that improvement in NWB right away. If Nick's shot does click (35+% from 3) hell start the next two years.

Yep, he said it. Well, he actually said NWB had the most NBA potential on the roster.Do you really believe it? At the time he was referring to a raw kid with huge upside. Now Prohm's been linked to every shooter w/ a pulse. Your argument is weak and is based on context that is out of date. Show me examples of guys that shot 22% from 3 off the bench as a redshirt soph and suddenly increase their 3pt% by 77% playing starter minutes.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Yep, he said it. Well, he actually said NWB had the most NBA potential on the roster.Do you really believe it? At the time he was referring to a raw kid with huge upside. Now Prohm's been linked to every shooter w/ a pulse. Your argument is weak and is based on context that is out of date. Show me examples of guys that shot 22% from 3 off the bench as a redshirt soph and suddenly increase their 3pt% by 77% playing starter minutes.

Most players increase their stats by getting more shots. That's kind of common sense. You didn't think Burton, Nader, or Naz would make big strides with more minutes either, but they did.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

He's 11-35 on his career for 31% so I think he can definitely shoot 35%. I don't expect him to make a bunch of deep or contested 3s like Matt and Naz did, but I think he can shoot well enough to keep defenses honest.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This signing along with Beverly are huge for NWB, last year, he and Naz were asked to guard 4's at times we had foul trouble. Having a few more bodies in the post means that won't likely happen this season. Offensively, having a 4 like Brase who can spread the floor takes the pressure off of NWB to have to hit 3's. He could use his size athleticism to be more of a slasher/mid range type of player.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If Prohm thought Babb was a starter we wouldn't of made such a push for a Grad Transfer wing. NWB is utility and will always be first off the bench at multiple positions. If we don't sign a wing Lewis will be starting by conference. Hopefully Prohm fills the final scholly and Lewis isn't forced into action that quick.

I don't know if this is true but Babb struggled mightily in the big 12 last year. He needs to improve a lot to help us with starter minutes next year

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You don't just stop trying to add good players because you think you might have a decent starting five already. You get the best players you can even if you have a good player at that spot already.

Generalizations don't always apply. Prohm went after a starter. If we don't add a wing Lewis starts by conference.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I love that we will have so much competition for playing time next year. That should make all these guys better. The three transfers we added all seem to be high character guys. With such a young group, I was concerned that it could turn the program into a mess if we added the wrong guys. In the past, our teams already had strong leadership when we added transfers.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If Prohm thought Babb was a starter we wouldn't of made such a push for a Grad Transfer wing. NWB is utility and will always be first off the bench at multiple positions. If we don't sign a wing Lewis will be starting by conference. Hopefully Prohm fills the final scholly and Lewis isn't forced into action that quick.

And Melvin will never be all conference

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This past year we had 4 guys average 29 minutes or more per game. It is hard for me to see anyone logging that kind of time on the floor this year. Maybe Wigginton, but he will only be a freshman. It will be interesting to see how CSP handles his rotations.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Nice job making it so specific that it is practically impossible to find examples.
  1. Has to have been not only a sophomore, but a RS Soph.
  2. Shot 22% (unfortunately for your argument he actually shot .308)
  3. off the bench.
  4. Has to increase shooting by 77% (which would put him at 39% if he had shot 22%, not 35+ like the guy you quoted said. Since he shot .308 he would have to improve by about 13.8%.)
  5. Playing starter minutes the next season.
Does he have to commonly be known by a three names as well?

To see a similar turnaround you have to look no further than Naz who went .278 off the bench (less than 6 minutes in only half the games) his first year and shot .400 (a 44% improvement) his next year while logging 20 minutes a game playing in essentially all of them.

Is it common? No, but it can happen if someone finds out what the team needs and puts their mind and their effort toward changing themselves to make it happen.

Fred increased his 3 point shot from .260 to .367 to .450 but of course he was a starter the whole time.

Hield went from .238 to .386 the following year. It can be done.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Prohm is on record saying Weller-Babb has NBA potential so I happen to think he'll be the starter to at least start the year. I think most have some questions about his outside shooting. Prhom's push for a guard was to get an additional 3 pt shooter to help spread the floor in case we do see that improvement in NWB right away. If Nick's shot does click (35+% from 3) hell start the next two years.
NWB reminds me alot of McGruder and Iwundo from KSt. Guys that are athletic, have solid all-around games, and got progressively better through college. McGruder has been a solid contributor in the league, and Iwundo will probably be drafted.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Could we have a starting front court of Hans Solo??????
th

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Love this guy! Welcome Hans. You're going to do great, and your knee will hold up this year. It was just too freakish to have the knee injury 2x like that. At least we will be rooting and praying for you to succeed on the court this year. I have a feeling you will succeed in everything else you do, as well. Great addition! Enjoy Ames.

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron