RECRUITING: Hans Brase sets official visit (COMMITS)

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Yep, he said it. Well, he actually said NWB had the most NBA potential on the roster.Do you really believe it? At the time he was referring to a raw kid with huge upside. Now Prohm's been linked to every shooter w/ a pulse. Your argument is weak and is based on context that is out of date. Show me examples of guys that shot 22% from 3 off the bench as a redshirt soph and suddenly increase their 3pt% by 77% playing starter minutes.
Nader went from 21.7% to 37.1% from JR to SR year, problem solved.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and jim4

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
This past year we had 4 guys average 29 minutes or more per game. It is hard for me to see anyone logging that kind of time on the floor this year. Maybe Wigginton, but he will only be a freshman. It will be interesting to see how CSP handles his rotations.

I think Jackson and Solomon get close. 20-30 any night.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think Jackson and Solomon get close. 20-30 any night.

I think Jackson will play over 35 in quite a few games. With all of the TV timeouts it's not that heroic for guards to play tons of minutes. On the other hand, I would love for Lard and the big transfers to be good enough to have a nice rotation in the front court. I'm a big believer in rotating bigs when you don't have talented folks like Niang. It allows them to attack the offensive boards freely and play defense without concern for foul trouble. And give max effort. Gregg Marshall does it really well at Wichita State.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yep, he said it. Well, he actually said NWB had the most NBA potential on the roster.Do you really believe it? At the time he was referring to a raw kid with huge upside. Now Prohm's been linked to every shooter w/ a pulse. Your argument is weak and is based on context that is out of date. Show me examples of guys that shot 22% from 3 off the bench as a redshirt soph and suddenly increase their 3pt% by 77% playing starter minutes.

I'm not willing to take a hard stance on this, but I seem to be missing the boat on NWB. I just haven't seen it from him. This will be his third year in college ball - this ought to be the time for him to click.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think Jackson will play over 35 in quite a few games. With all of the TV timeouts it's not that heroic for guards to play tons of minutes. On the other hand, I would love for Lard and the big transfers to be good enough to have a nice rotation in the front court. I'm a big believer in rotating bigs when you don't have talented folks like Niang. It allows them to attack the offensive boards freely and play defense without concern for foul trouble. Gregg Marshall does it really well at Wichita State.
End of the "free layup for the opposition cuz we have no frontcourt depth" era.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not willing to take a hard stance on this, but I seem to be missing the boat on NWB. I just haven't seen it from him. This will be his third year in college ball - this ought to be the time for him to click.

He was instrumental in a few games we turned around last season (along with Jackson). I saw his hesitation on offense as deferring to better scorers (of which, we had a bunch). His defense and other aspects of his game are solid, and his offensive skill looked fine when he sought it, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Heard the same about too many players before their JR or SR years to make a judgement. You go back to just our last two teams and I can name MT, Burton and Nader that made huge jumps. I think NWB has shown more all around game than Matt or Abdel at a similar point in their careers.

Matt was a 4.9ppg at 33% 3 his SO year in 15.3 min.
Nader was a 5.8ppg at 22% 3 his JR year in 16.4 min.
Burton went from 9.7ppg to 15.1.

NWB at 4.0ppg and 31% from 3 his SO year in 16.5 min.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Heard the same about too many players before their JR or SR years to make a judgement. You go back to just our last two teams and I can name MT, Burton and Nader that made huge jumps. I think NWB has shown more all around game than Matt or Abdel at a similar point in their careers.

That's why its always fun to watch the progress as these kids grow and develop. I will never consider myself a talent scout, but I know CSP is a great basketball coach and he'll bring it out if it's in there.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Love this guy! Welcome Hans. You're going to do great, and your knee will hold up this year. It was just too freakish to have the knee injury 2x like that. At least we will be rooting and praying for you to succeed on the court this year. I have a feeling you will succeed in everything else you do, as well. Great addition! Enjoy Ames.
Ditto that. I think one of the more important aspects of the Brase addition is his experienced leadership and his ability to mentor the young guys. I'm very pleased to pick him up those reasons if nothing else. It was obvious from previous videos his former team really loved him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Travis Hines‏ @TravisHines21 8h8 hours ago

When you get an immediately-eligible center who shoots 35 percent from 3 (photo cred @GarmanSports)

C_rbuTkUIAAf3me.jpg

C_rbuTkU0AAQcfr.jpg

C_rbuTmU0AAjDN1.jpg

3 replies 16 retweets 104 likes

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How excited are people for this guy? I think he at least provides decent rebounding, scoring and size. This is a huge help, especially getting him this late. I think he starts.
Good add for mid May. He would have been huge to have last year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Travis Hines‏ @TravisHines21 8h8 hours ago

When you get an immediately-eligible center who shoots 35 percent from 3 (photo cred @GarmanSports)

C_rbuTkUIAAf3me.jpg

C_rbuTkU0AAQcfr.jpg

C_rbuTmU0AAjDN1.jpg

3 replies 16 retweets 104 likes

The only thing this picture might prove is that the best coach in the state is the worst dressed? Prohm could use a few pointers in that area. Not that I'm complaining at all. I don't care if he wears shorts and a T-shirt to games as long as we're winning.

• Dislike
Reactions: ILikeCy

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

All of these guys were putting time in the gym to improve their games. We have heard a lot about guys like Ejim, Niang and Mitrou-Long setting that culture and keeping it going. Will be interesting to see who the leaders by example are this offseason.

While Matt's increase in 3PT% was remarkable, what jumped his sophomore to junior year was his defense. If he wasn't streak shooting as a sophomore, then he came off the floor. As a junior after almost shutting out the skinny Hawkeye in the second half by getting up in his business, he became not only not a liability, but actually a strength. That kept him on the floor so his rebounding went up. The other dramatic change was he increase his FT% almost 20 percentage points.

Nadar's increase in shooting from distance was remarkable, yet what impressed me more was his decision making improved. Through his junior season and start of the senior season, he would get at least one or two charges a game. Seemed like he was getting stronger so didn't foul as much on defense so was able to be in the game more at crunch time, but he always had the scorer's mentality.

With Burton, you could see the athletic talent, but like Nadar would have stupid fouls that cut into his minutes. Certainly his outside shot improved as a senior, but I thought his ability to drive with more control without the obvious charges was a big change like Nadar. I still held my breath on his fade aways though.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He was instrumental in a few games we turned around last season (along with Jackson). I saw his hesitation on offense as deferring to better scorers (of which, we had a bunch). His defense and other aspects of his game are solid, and his offensive skill looked fine when he sought it, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Most of the season last year, he played a step slow offensively, IMO that was combo of a lack of confidence and of not exactly being sure what his role was offensively with so many other talented scorers around him (which can equate to a lack of confidence). Not to mention, his reluctance looked magnified playing next to guys like Naz, Matt and Burton, who, let's be honest, never met a shot they didn't like. Even going back to last year, we're used to seeing guys like Niang and Nader who were always in attack mode.

That said, he made big strides late in the year after disappearing early in big 12 play and the skills he did show give me hope he is capable of being a 10-12ppg kind of guy. He shot around 70% from the FT line last year, thats the key for him, attack and get to the FT line 8-9 times a game. That can open up his 3pt shooting and we've seen he can knock down open shots. It doesnt seem crazy to get 5 or 6 FT, a 3pt bucket and another shot or two out of him every night. With what he brings offensively and on the boards, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sounds like you're complaining. I thought he looked fine.

He did look fine. He went casual, no biggie. I was more just poking fun and mostly wanted to point out that he was the best coach. One coach in the picture definitely stands out from the rest in how they are dressed. He coincidentally also is the one that stands out in results on the floor as well. That's all I was getting at.

Reactions: CTTB78

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

He barely played his freshman year and then sat out a year. He sort of hit a wall this year. But I'm surprised at how many people fail to see any potential there, but there are a lot of idiotic basketball minds on this board. I don't know how good he will end up being, but I certainly think he can be a starter here.

I'll also say that Steve Prohm has a pretty good track record of picking out guys to be good---Nader and Burton. Part of that, I think, is to try and motivate the players, but Prohm also saw talent with those two players and he's said the same thing about Babb.