MLB: Most memorable baseball game you've attended?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Saw George Brett in one of his last games before retiring.

Otherwise nothing super memorable.

Reactions: enisthemenace

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
1) 2014 American League Wild Card game. That cannot be topped as far as I'm concerned.

I also was able to attend game 2 of the World Series that year, but nothing can top that Wild Caard game.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
October 6, 2009. Twins-Tigers game 163. Last "regular season" game in the Metrodome.

Twins won 6-5 in the 12th. I was 5 in 1991 so I never got to experience the homer dome in all its glory, but that's the loudest beginning-to-end sporting event I've ever been to. Still have my ticket and homer hankie from it

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
1.) Johnny Cueto's gem in Game 2 of the 2015 World Series.
2.) 2012 All Star Game - First for Trout and Harper. Last for Chipper.
3.) 1993 - Royals Rangers - Kevin Appier took a perfect game into the 6th and a no hitter into the 7th before Rafael Palmeiro steroided a ball out of Royals Stadium. Appier throws 9 innings of 1 hit baseball and loses 1-0.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I went and saw a Twins-Yankees game in the Metrodome with my little brother, my dad and my grandpa. I remember Jim Abbott was pitching for the Yankees and that was something to watch, (for those that may be too young, Jim Abbott was a pitcher for the Yankees that didn't have a right hand). I remember getting ice cream in the little novelty helmet - I thought that was so cool. I also remember leaving early because the Twins were losing, only to walk through the door and see KARE11 was showing highlights from Kirby Pucketts game-winning single in the bottom of the 9th.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
1. George Brett is my favorite player of all time. Hell...my current dog's name is George. I don't have the specific date, final score, or anything like that, but I do know the Royals were playing the Orioles at Kauffman. I was with my entire family, and I come from a family that didn't go on family trips. In all honestly, this may have been the only trip my entire family spent together.

Anyway...old George went 4-5, including a based loaded triple in that game. I was on my way, with my mom, to pick up a Royals hat that had "Brett #5" sewn into the size adjustment strap during the triple. Watched it on a TV in the mezzanine.

The Royals destroyed the Orioles in that game, but that didn't mean much to me. I was (and still am) a Cub fan, but watching Brett tear the cover off the ball was amazing.

2. Went to Wrigley with my wife while she was pregnant with our first child. We were only going to go to one game, and got the cheapest tickets we could find...upper deck, way in the corner. We were fairly newly married, young and "poor". Game was against the Marlins. This was August 27th, 2005. That's not the memorable game though.

That morning, before the gates opened, we were just milling around outside of the stadium. I asked what she thuoght if I just went to the box office to see what they had for the next game. Having no objections, I went over and asked the lady, "What are the best two seats you have available for tomorrow"? At that point, I wasn't concerned about money, as I was only asking.

We got two tickets, 10 rows up from 1st base, for $35 a piece. Took them immediately.

I felt like I could touch Derek Lee when he was in the field. He happened to crush a HR off Josh Beckett that day. We could hear everything going on in the Marlins bullpen, which was entertaining.

This was August 28th, 2005. The day the Cubs retired Ryne Sandberg's jersey. I had no idea that was happening. Special day.

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
My son is an avid Cardinals fan. Back in 2004 (he was 6)...he and I took the St Louis metro down to Busch Stadium to get a couple of upper bleacher seats to the Cubs-Cardinals game. As we are standing in line, a woman comes up to us and asks if we need tickets to the game as she has 2 extra. Sure I said...she gave them to us and we walked over to one of the gates to get in. Turns out the tickets were seats 1A and 1B, Row 1, behind home plate.

Final score of the game...don't know...didn't care. Still have the stubs...he still loves the Cards...

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Not for the games exactly, but the circumstances: At the end of the '01-'02 school year, my Dad decided it would be cool to follow the Cardinals through the NL Central as they played @ Chicago and then home vs Milwaukee and home vs Cinci all in a row. He bought tickets for one game each series -- the game in Chicago that ended up being postponed due to Darryl Kile's sudden death (the video of Joe Girardi making the postponement announcement still gets me), the first game back in St Louis after Kile's death against the Brewers, and the Friday night game against Cinci. It was also all still within about a week of Jack Buck's passing.

Seen a ton of other games, none that really seemed to have big implications or anything at the time, just run of the mill summer baseball. Did go to one of Kirby Puckett's last games in Minnesota, but nobody knew at that time that he wouldn't play in MLB regular season after the 1995 season.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer post of the day.

Reactions: psychlone99

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
October 6, 2009. Twins-Tigers game 163. Last "regular season" game in the Metrodome.

Twins won 6-5 in the 12th. I was 5 in 1991 so I never got to experience the homer dome in all its glory, but that's the loudest beginning-to-end sporting event I've ever been to. Still have my ticket and homer hankie from it

My dad and his dad went to the first ever game at the Metrodome. My dad and I were also at this game, the last game ever at the Metrodome. Kind of interesting how life works out like that. Looking back on life, going with your dad is more important than anything that happens on the field.

Reactions: CTTB78

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
1. White Sox beat Orioles on May 15, 1985. Husband proposed before game.
2. Dodgers beat Cubs on August 17, 2003. Ozzie Osbourne completely slaughtered Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

I saw the Sox play the Orioles right around that time.

Then finished Middle School, High School, an "extended" college run, and 3 years in the work force before Cal Ripken missed another game.

Remember sitting in the new Comiskey around 1998 and thinking "wow"

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I saw the Sox play the Orioles right around that time.

Then finished Middle School, High School, an "extended" college run, and 3 years in the work force before the Cal Ripken missed another game.

Remember sitting in the new Comiskey around 1998 and thinking "wow"

I think that game was a 5-2 win for the White Sox. I spent most of the game thinking about when I would get a chance to call my parents. He proposed right before we got on a bus to go see the game with a bunch of other students. No cell phones then. They took a collect call from me after the game on a pay phone at Comiskey. A whole different world back then.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Game 1 of the 1991 World Series, Morris beat Avery 5-2. Gagne hit a 3-run HR and Hrbek solo shot. I sat in the front row of the upper deck in left field and screamed my head off. (And that was just so the people next to me could hear me.) I had NEVER been in THAT LOUD of a sports venue before.....I mean, I knew Twins fans could crank it up in there, but that was just insane.

My buddy and I got offered $500 for our 2 tickets as we were walking in, but we decided we might never get the chance again to see our team at home in the Series, so we declined. Glad we did!

Runner-up was a double-header against the old Washington Senators at the old Met when I was in grade school. Rod Carew was my hero and he threw me a baseball before the game, I was standing just behind the first base dugout. I was high as a kite the rest of they day! (Plus the Twins swept.) Afterward, stuck around for autos and got Blyleven and Oliva (among many other no names). Carew refused to sign, the only down part of the day. Oliva sat and talked with me and a bunch of other kids for almost half an hour - what a gentleman he is. He had that big gold tooth in front, and he smiled constantly.

Reactions: CTTB78

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
We have to have actually been there, right?

September 4th, 1988. Reds 17, Cubs 0. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198809040.shtml

Danny Jackson pitched a complete game shutout and got four hits of his own. I was 15, watching the game with my family (my dad raised us all Reds fans, and we regularly visited Chicago, St. Louis, and Cincinnati to see them play.) I've never forgotten this game; Jackson was unbelievable.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
In no particular order:
- Rockies vs Phillies 2007 NLDS game 4 win to complete sweet. So fun, brooms everywhere after the game.
-Rockies vs Red Sox 2007 WS game 3 before they got swept out. Sucked because they'd won like 27 of 30 before taking a week off between series and then just laying an egg. Red Sox fans were unbearable.
-Helton's last home game. I think he went 3 for 5 with a hr and double, didn't see anything but fastballs all night. Buddy is a monster Rockies fan and out seats we're row 6 just off corner of dugout and there isn't a row 1-3. We were 5' from some of his some of his friends/family, so he was hanging out with them a bunch pregame. Super cool night, they gave him a horse.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Since I was at Game 7, 1-0 10 inning shutout by Jack Morris, I might argue that this game was a tad more famous than Game 6, but both were amazing - and I'm a Cubs fan!!!
I wasn't at game 7. My dad took my sister instead. Grrr...

Yeah, game 7 is in the Top 3 games of MLB all time, but as a Twins fan game 6 is in the Twins Top 3. Don't ruin this for me :)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I wasn't at game 7. My dad took my sister instead. Grrr...

Yeah, game 7 is in the Top 3 games of MLB all time, but as a Twins fan game 6 is in the Twins Top 3. Don't ruin this for me :)

For sheer baseball drama, Game 7 really has no peer. Even better than the wildly overpraised Game 6 of the 75 Series between the Red Sox and the Reds. I mean, seriously......9 scoreless innings? Every baserunner a mini-drama? How many scoring chances and crazy double plays in the last 3 innings of regulation?

But in terms of the greatest game of the series from a Twins' fan's standpoint, then, yeah. I agree 100%. Puckett robs Gant of the extra-base hit by basically jumping twice his own height against the Plexiglas, and then takes good ol' Charlie Leibrandt over the wall in the 11th. I can still see Puck rounding the bases, pumping his right arm, and collapsing in Tom Kelly's arms after crossing home plate.

What a game. What a Series.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
For sheer baseball drama, Game 7 really has no peer. Even better than the wildly overpraised Game 6 of the 75 Series between the Red Sox and the Reds. I mean, seriously......9 scoreless innings? Every baserunner a mini-drama? How many scoring chances and crazy double plays in the last 3 innings of regulation?

But in terms of the greatest game of the series from a Twins' fan's standpoint, then, yeah. I agree 100%. Puckett robs Gant of the extra-base hit by basically jumping twice his own height against the Plexiglas, and then takes good ol' Charlie Leibrandt over the wall in the 11th. I can still see Puck rounding the bases, pumping his right arm, and collapsing in Tom Kelly's arms after crossing home plate.

What a game. What a Series.

I remember clearly the aftermath of (i forget his name) for Atlanta stopping at 2nd base in the 8th inning, seeing the ball in the outfield wasn't caught, and ending up at third with no outs and then not being able to score. His base running error ended up costing Atlanta the World Series. The HQ for my dad's company was in Atlanta and he brought home some Atlanta newspapers a week or so after the game. Their sportswriters were brutal to this guy.