Beverly: I will commit to ISU

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
He'll be on our team next year. He'll be an upgrade over Kasongo prolly.

Why bring up Kosongo as a comparison? They are totally different players and will play different roles.
Beverly likely will play the role that Bowe played last year, very valuable the last half of the year.

Every post I see knocking Ray makes me want to enjoy Kosongo playing well and watching a lot of people eating crow a little more.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Why bring up Kosongo as a comparison? They are totally different players and will play different roles.
Beverly likely will play the role that Bowe played last year, very valuable the last half of the year.

Every post I see knocking Ray makes me want to enjoy Kosongo playing well and watching a lot of people eating crow a little more.
Mostly because I see him replacing Ray as our third forward.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCY23

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Mostly because I see him replacing Ray as our third forward.

I see Beverly getting his minutes at the 3-4. not at the 5. Bowie was forced to play minutes there due to the roster but I think we'll all agree that was less than ideal. I see no reason having Kosongo and Lard available that the staff will be forced to play Beverly there.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I see Beverly getting his minutes at the 3-4. not at the 5. Bowie was forced to play minutes there due to the roster but I think we'll all agree that was less than ideal. I see no reason having Kosongo and Lard available that the staff will be forced to play Beverly there.
Beverly at the 3? That's very optimistic imo.

If Beverly is as good as CF has rallied around, than Rubbuk is right that Kasongo's minutes will go down significantly. The forth forward isn't getting a lot of minutes. And that's a good thing given the decent sample size we have on him.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Beverly at the 3? That's very optimistic imo.

If Beverly is as good as CF has rallied around, than Rubbuk is right that Kasongo's minutes will go down significantly. The forth forward isn't getting a lot of minutes. And that's a good thing given the decent sample size we have on him.

Agreed, Beverly at the 3 is optimistic too, but his ball-handling and assist rate is better than any ISU forwards not named Royce, Ejim, Niang, Nader, or Deonte in recent years (that is some lofty company). I see him being similar impact to Bowie or greater depending on how quickly he can understand and adapt to his role on team. FWIW, Beverly's 2017 assist rate was similar to Ejim, Nader, and Burton over their career.

I am surprised many people are even bring Kasongo up. I would be surprised he plays much more than foul trouble or breather minutes for Lard or Young. I hope I am wrong and Kasongo overperforms to current expectations, however.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I hope Ray doesn't read CF. Not sure any other sit out guy comes close to how negatively discussed he has been before eligible.
The posters on here love to crap all over both Ray and jakolby. Frankly, I'm tired of it. Not disappointed we didn't get Brown or that Russian two guard, should give jakolby and Darius plenty of opportunities to shine next year

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Kasongo is a 5.

We can look at it this way: There's no way Kasongo can be worse than the posters think he will be.

I agree. Amazing how many posters already know Kasongo will be no good without ever having seen him play under Prohm. There have been rumors about his attitude but I don't recall anyone who has seen him play in practice post. (Can't recall if he played in last year's summer league.) If anyone has seen him practice, I'd love to hear their impressions of him.

Based just on the few videos of him, he looks to be our most athletic big, with a body at least equal to Young's. If Prohm can harness that natural talent, there's no telling how good he and the team can be. The fact that he's still on the team indicates to me that at a minimum, he's seen as someone who can help the team, at a minimum as a practice player. He must have been recruited by Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon out of high school for a reason, at a minimum his ceiling.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Can you imagine how stressful that has to be for recruits? "Okay, here is my one shot to prove I can do it. I better not have an off day otherwise they won't want me."

Think they scrimmage with so many guys already gone home for summer break?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Can you imagine how stressful that has to be for recruits? "Okay, here is my one shot to prove I can do it. I better not have an off day otherwise they won't want me."

I would hope that Beverly has the attitude or "Let's do this1 Show them my game get the offer and make them plan more minutes for me in the line up from day one."

Actually I think the talk with Prohm and interaction with teammates will be a better indicator of an offer. I doubt the staff would base it off an individual performance rather that he take coaching and accepts the role they have planned for him.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It seems all people look at is offensive skill set when deciding if these tweener guys can play on the wing or the post, thats useless, I haven't seen enough of Beverly to know but for those who have, can he guard the 3 position? That's all that is relevant. The other team has to worry about his offense, it has zero bearing on what position he plays.

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan