Desmond King wins Thorpe award

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Ok.. That's about as useful as saying Iowa State and Texas have combined more national titles than Iowa does

Not at all the same. Iowa actually has players drafted, ISU doesn't have conference titles let alone National titles. Iowa had the third most players drafted in the BigTen, ISU has the least amount of conference titles in the Big12.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not at all the same. Iowa actually has players drafted, ISU doesn't have conference titles let alone National titles. Iowa had the third most players drafted in the BigTen, ISU has the least amount of conference titles in the Big12.
Notice I said "as useful" and not "the same". Having 4 players drafted and lumping yourself together with a team that led the country with 11 is pretty silly

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Notice I said "as useful" and not "the same". Having 4 players drafted and lumping yourself together with a team that led the country with 11 is pretty silly

Maybe, but it would be much more silly if we hadn't beaten that team with 11 NFL draft picks. What a great night that was.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Maybe, but it would be much more silly if we hadn't beaten that team with 11 NFL draft picks. What a great night that was.
Still can't believe you guys won that game...blows my damn mind.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

True, Iowa was far behind Michigan and OSU in draft picks. If Iowa played in a less talent rich Confernce like the Big12, they would have been #1 in NFL draft picks.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Fan allegiance aside, I always hate to see this happen to a kid who comes back to school. The NFL Draft is bizarre to me. How a kid who had first round potential last year becomes, over the course of a year, a 5th round pick is beyond me. I know his 40 was slow, but his tape is pretty darn good. I just don't get it...

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Fan allegiance aside, I always hate to see this happen to a kid who comes back to school. The NFL Draft is bizarre to me. How a kid who had first round potential last year becomes, over the course of a year, a 5th round pick is beyond me. I know his 40 was slow, but his tape is pretty darn good. I just don't get it...

The draft is always about the "Ceiling" and not the floor. Pro football focus had Austin Caar as the highest graded out WR in 2016, he signed a FA deal with the Pats.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The draft is always about the "Ceiling" and not the floor. Pro football focus had Austin Caar as the highest graded out WR in 2016, he signed a FA deal with the Pats.

That's fine and all, but he was considered a late 1st rounder last year, right? I guess I don't know how his ceiling became that much lower over the course of a year. I know he didn't have quite the same year, but he wasn't terrible by any means.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

He got exposed in man coverage at the Senior Bowl which really dropped his stock. Still can't believe he decided to come back, makes no sense

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
That's fine and all, but he was considered a late 1st rounder last year, right? I guess I don't know how his ceiling became that much lower over the course of a year. I know he didn't have quite the same year, but he wasn't terrible by any means.

He decided to come back to school, so there were no real projections on when he would go. It is just a @CyTwins troll to try to pretend King was a first round pick last year or any year for that matter.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyTwins and Rural

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
He decided to come back to school, so there were no real projections on when he would go. It is just a @CyTwins troll to try to pretend King was a first round pick last year or any year for that matter.

Guess I remember hearing he was a late first rounder/second rounder. But that could have just been one person's speculation.

He still has the opportunity to make a name for himself and make some cash over the years.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

It's easy, he never had first round potential.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Guess I remember hearing he was a late first rounder/second rounder. But that could have just been one person's speculation.

He still has the opportunity to make a name for himself and make some cash over the years.

I also had it in my head he was a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Not vouching for the source, but this had him initially as a 2nd rounder last year: https://withthefirstpick.com/2015/11/30/2016-nfl-draft-early-look-at-iowas-desmond-king/

And this mock draft initially had him as a first rounder before he came back:

Now who knows how that would have played out after the combine and workouts, but he was at least considered a Day 1 talent at the end of the 2016 season.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
He was projected same spot after this season as well. Either way I think he plays for awhile in the league. I think too often some teams fall for testing result stuff instead of what a player does on the field

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

That's just it, one person says it and everyone just assumes they know what they are talking about.

Could he have gone higher last year? Maybe I suppose, but it isn't like he had bad tape this year. Pro football focus track the players and when QB's threw at him (which wasn't often) they didn't complete many. It was always going to be about his real height (5'9") and his speed 4.5 40. Those wouldn't have changed last year either.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He was projected same spot after this season as well. Either way I think he plays for awhile in the league. I think too often some teams fall for testing result stuff instead of what a player does on the field

He was definitely projected higher last year than this year. His Senior Bowl stuff dropped him a couple rounds

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron