Desmond King wins Thorpe award

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He decided to come back to school, so there were no real projections on when he would go. It is just a @CyTwins troll to try to pretend King was a first round pick last year or any year for that matter.

He made a bad financial decision to come back. He got his degree so kudos for him but I'm in no way trolling in this situation

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Nah, like I said, middle of the 3rd round would've gotten him $700-$800k more than he's getting now.

IMO, you are underestimating the Hype of winning the Thorpe Award and going 12-0 in the regular season of his Junior Season. Then factor in that he was a year younger last year. IMO, King would have likely been picked in the 2nd round last year, and no lower than third. I know that King does not have elite speed. At the same time, I think the 5th round is a little low for King. King is a playmaker and plays smart. There were a lot of players taken before King that made absolutely no sense.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I don't get how any one can argue that his stock didn't drop tremendously. He was going late 1st to Mid 2nd last year. He went in the 5th this year.

Hawk fans can deny and say he wasn't going to be an early round pick last year, but with the momentum of the Thorpe award he wouldn't have dropped.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Look at this thread? Every Hawkeye in here was saying he was projected late first or early second round pick. Are you saying they are all liars?

King wasn't included in any projections last year as he wasn't in the draft. So you have no link, and no clue.

Most the projections this year had him as 2nd or 3rd round and he went in the 5th. They are just projections, they are not reality.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
King wasn't included in any projections last year as he wasn't in the draft. So you have no link, and no clue.

Most the projections this year had him as 2nd or 3rd round and he went in the 5th. They are just projections, they are not reality.

Literally every Hawkeye fan in this thread said he was a late first or early second round pick last year.

Link?

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Are Clone fans really implying that NFL GM's would draft a player higher because they are coming off winning the Thorpe Award?

Nah, these guys are paid well to find talent and draft it. Winning a college award has no impact on where a person is drafted.

It reminds of the Elijah Brown discussion and people saying he should come to Ames and not Gonzaga because of the exposure he would get from playing on TV and it would help his draft chances.

NBA/NFL scouts are going to find talent. They dont give a damn how many times the guy plays on ESPN or if he won the Thorpe Award.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Are Clone fans really implying that NFL GM's would draft a player higher because they are coming off winning the Thorpe Award?

Nah, these guys are paid well to find talent and draft it. Winning a college award has no impact on where a person is drafted.

It reminds of the Elijah Brown discussion and people saying he should come to Ames and not Gonzaga because of the exposure he would get from playing on TV and it would help his draft chances.

NBA/NFL scouts are going to find talent. They dont give a damn how many times the guy plays on ESPN or if he won the Thorpe Award.

So you think King made a smart decision coming back this year? You're not that dumb

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
For the reasons he gave, which was that he promised him Mom he would earn his degree, yes he made a fine decision.

I dont remember the quality of the D Back class last year in the draft. Odds are he would have went higher.

Wow. You just lost a lot of credibility on this one or you're trolling

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
So you think King made a smart decision coming back this year? You're not that dumb

King made the best decision for him. His degree was very important to his mom and him. If he is good he will make his money. He was never going to be picked in the first 3 rounds anyway, so he is gonna have to earn the bigger contract like Hyde later.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't get how any one can argue that his stock didn't drop tremendously. He was going late 1st to Mid 2nd last year. He went in the 5th this year.

Hawk fans can deny and say he wasn't going to be an early round pick last year, but with the momentum of the Thorpe award he wouldn't have dropped.

And I don't get why Hawkeye fans are so butthurt about it.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
He was definitely projected higher last year than this year. His Senior Bowl stuff dropped him a couple rounds

I don't think so. That may be true. He is a nickel guy in the NFL or a corner in a zone scheme or a safety but he isn't a man to man cover guy in the NFL. Nothing wrong with that either. I think he will play a long time. I think Kittle could end up having the best career out of all the Hawks drafted.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
For the reasons he gave, which was that he promised him Mom he would earn his degree, yes he made a fine decision.

I dont remember the quality of the D Back class last year in the draft. Odds are he would have went higher.

I think getting your degree is never a bad decision.

Reactions: YeahBuddy