RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The recruiting for this kid down the stretch was one of more odd collection of schools that I have seen. KU, ISU, RI, DePaul, UNLV. It really made me wonder what this kid was looking for. In the end, I'm still not sure he really knows.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The recruiting for this kid down the stretch was one of more odd collection of schools that I have seen. KU, ISU, RI, DePaul, UNLV. It really made me wonder what this kid was looking for. In the end, I'm still not sure he really knows.

Besides ISU and KU, the other schools are schools that his AAU coach has connections with.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
There just isn't a lot of good observable inforomation on Lard, but from what I can tell he is long, and relentless, but lacks any ball skills and is an average to below average athlete.

you say he lacks any ball skills and is average or below average athlete....?? So, you're telling us we recruited him just because he was long? Great.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Playing in your home state for an SEC team vs ISU is not in anyway comparable to playing for UNLV in basketball. They aren't relevant in the past 10 years, ISU is, far and away, the better basketball school in recent history. Kam White going to Ole Miss is like a kid from Ankeny deciding to stay home and play for the Hawkeyes after committing to Vanderbilt. Juiston committing to UNLV makes zero sense from a basketball perspective. There is no question Vegas is more exciting for a 20 year old. No one is dumb enough to think that. But if you are going somewhere for basketball and basketball only ISU and UNLV don't compare. You think Lawrence is a mecca of culture?

If you were following along, I was simply pointing out that it is ridiculous that every time we lose a recruit we really wanted, the "he got paid" card comes out. I'm in no way comparing these two situations in any other way.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Makes sense, sort of.
If the AAU handler wanted the kid at UNLV, why pull the string with DePaul and RI?
*puts on tinfoil hat* To make it look less like SJ was bribed to go to UNLV maybe? *takes off tinfoil hat*

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I read the first few pages of this thread and I was wondering why Spokane was arguing with nobody. It seemed over the top for what I was reading. Then I realized it was probably one of the very few people I have on ignore and it reinforced my decision to ignore them.

Cyclone11

Aug 29, 2016
I'm bitter about this, so I wish him the worse, but not injury, I just hope he suck and not produce what they think he will provide them with. I hope UNLV continues to suck too, what a cheating sh!t of a program. I'm as mad as f@ck, I just wanna go and take a dump(Sh!t) on their prostitute infested school and walk away. I am very mad and I will not pretend to to wish him or UNLV any success, I am not a nice person and that's just that.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
This is akin to fireworks being illegal in Iowa, but every 4th of July half the homes on my street have huge trunk loads they bought from Missouri.

I've been to Vegas a few times, been walking down the strip, seen cars pull up and scantily clad women get dropped off at the nice hotels. Prostitution may be illegal, but it's certainly not enforced.
Yeah, I've seen that too. The quote was "Hookers are legal there" or something to that effect.

That is incorrect and I was trying to make the point that when a recruit chooses another school because the other school obviously did something illegal (which is the ONLY reason anyone would choose another school over my dear 'ol alma mater) then we should be exact on what we accuse them of. SINCE UNLV obviously got him "hookers" on his visit to Vegas then it was not only against NCAA rules, but it was against the law UNLESS they drove him at least 1.25 hours away.

I think we are arguing 2 separate points here and I am correct on the legality point. Now, if you want to discuss the true intention of my post....

Maybe I forgot this...;)

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
ISU does have some secret sauce. We have a top 10 fan base. It is extremely fun for players to play in HIlton. You must not have been at the OU game where we came back from 21 where the place was going crazy, or dozens of other games like that. That type of environment is rare. Not many schools and travel 20,000 fans to a tournament (some don't even get into the arena).

Is it possible that kids don't care how many people are in the stands? Do we maybe overestimate the interest of players to play in front of large crowds? I would think it would be neat, but maybe they don't care?

Reactions: isufbcurt

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Recruiting makes no sense. idk how you guys can follow it so closely. More often than not you end up disappointed

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I hope when he's playing in front of 3,000 people at 8PM (PT) on a Saturday on the Mountain West Network with 200 viewers and he averages 5.4 PPG and reality hits him that he is not going to the NCAA tournament, that he starts to regret his decision.

Shakur.. Karma sucks!!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
No, not every fanbase suspects players get paid to go to a lesser program in every case.

But when it comes to UNLV....There's a reason people believe players get paid to go to UNLV. It's because they do. In a way, I envy your innocence. But you shouldn't go out of your way to display it.

Kinda like a KU fan said once in front of someone I knew who was actually "in the business". Something to the fact that at least KU doesn't cheat, etc. The source just laughed and said you have no idea, hinting the huge KU boosters & their connection with AAUpeople/Nike/Addidas/recruits handlers etc. Thing is, KU has been so good for years they probably don't even need to do anything, much less like what UNLV does, whatever that is. Feazell camp was given $$$ to decommit from us and go to MissSt. That's not a jilted fan base suspicion either.

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Here's the biggest irony from me. Prohm visits mom to convince her he'll be well cared for in Ames and he signs in sin city.

Seems like we are Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Until proven wrong I'm just going to assume we lose out on every drawn out commitment process.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Recruiting makes no sense. idk how you guys can follow it so closely. More often than not you end up disappointed

I probably should take your approach. It is an exciting, yet frustrating part of college basketball.

Cyclone1995

Mar 16, 2016
Maybe we should just look at the glass as being half full. We didn't get him, but this is probably the second best scenario - nobody of interest got him, either. It's better than him playing for our competition, and also better than if we had to hear about his greatness at some non-competitor that has games that we'd watch. Now it's almost like he never really existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.