New Spam Redirect

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yay. A new one. Anybody else getting this today?

y0MvERH.jpg

LpfNWPv.jpg

70b5B1F.jpg

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I haven't gotten this, though I do still the old one some, "Walmart," and I read what Chris said about a future fix (pay option for ad free).

Although I prefer Safari on my iPhone (in large part for the black Reader view) I will put in a plug for a new browser, Brave, designed by a guy who designed Firefox. There is a news site I would want to visit but the ads are atrocious. I ended up putting my other news sites, weather, etc. in there as well, besides CF. It is nice having it all in one place (which used to be the default, when almost everything was free); and because of the browser's design, it easily gets around article limits. It has a lot of easy to use controls. For one or two sites I might have to tweak it by turning on or off one of the switches. It isn't rocket science; but whatever works. I also know of and use AdBlock browser. But I prefer Brave, and am likely to continue using it for news sites for the reasons stated, regardless of what's up with CF. I still use Safari mostly, and that's the only thing I use Brave for, but it great for that purpose.

For CF I use Safari on my phone generally, but switch to Brave as needed. Or maybe I read the news in Brave, as it is that time of day or whatever, and incidentally check CF at the same time there, as well.

Posts and associated links above mine make it sound like this one is more serious or potentially more damaging. But in my understanding, Brave helps block some of this stuff.

Last edited:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Anyone experiencing the redirects tonight? Has happened 4-5 times tonight.

iPhone 7 using Wifi

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Yep. Must've gotten in a new shipment of Walmart gift cards. IMO the site is running worse since the ad changes were made.

• Agree
Reactions: Steubs24

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've had the same thing for a week on different devices.

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This is brutal. Can't get through a thread without 2-3 redirects. Is it a hack? Or is CF getting revenue from it (which Im sure is not the case). Gotta log off now. Or throw my iPad.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
The biggest problem is from 3rd party advertisers. Basically there is a region of the page that they sell, unfortunately the person they sell it to resells it without vetting the ads. Ad blocker is worthless because you can buy your way onto a whitelist that will let ads still get through and since they point to google analytics/ads the site is allowed because google/twitter redirects get whitelisted. I will never block 1st party and 2nd party ads, those are rarely the problem and I do believe in supporting advertising. Unfortunately, I don't support malwareware or data theft. That's why I use ublock origin along with dns level malware/adblocking. I still see the main sponsor ads at the top of the page, it's the side page ads that I don't see and those are usually the culprits..