Rutgers
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue

Degree of difficulty: Off the charts

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Well that's what happens when you have 4 teams from a league either in the playoffs or the BCS bowls.

It forces your other teams to move up in the bowl pecking order. What other league had to have their 5th or 6th best team play against a division champion?

Also, Sagarin has Iowa's SOS at 30. The "Iowa didnt play anyone" argument does not work this year.

B1G champ lost to the third best team in the Pac-12.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
There is truth to the comment and it does sting a smidge because we just dont have that history, but it doesnt change the fact that that program isnt as successful as they sell it to be. But, yes, I would take chances at bowl losses over no bowl.

My only issue is that how does such an elite program use one of the worst programs in the NCAA as its measuring stick. i guess that way you always feel great about yourself.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
The first seven games were:

Miami (Ohio)
ISU
ND State
Rutgers
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue

Degree of difficulty: Off the charts

Why include only 7/13 of a teams schedule when determining the difficulty?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There are 65 P5 teams, including Notre Dame, so it puts it in the top half.

Also, only 2 Big XII teams (Oklahoma and West Virginia) had a SOS better than Iowa's 30, but I am sure you knew that.

So BARELY being in the top half = difficult? LOL! That is average.

Shocker, Big XII is down this year. Find where I claimed otherwise.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why include only 7/13 of a teams schedule when determining the difficulty?

Why be a hok fan on an ISU message board? Sometimes questions don't have the answers you are looking for. I've been asking this question for quite some time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So BARELY being in the top half = difficult? LOL! That is average.

Shocker, Big XII is down this year. Find where I claimed otherwise.

Might be worth noting that maybe the Big XII wasn't as bad as everyone made them out to be this year. The league had a ton of parity and lacked an "elite" team but the round robin schedule exposes everyone. You don't get the benefit of having Nebraska's schedule this year or Iowa's in 2015 aka fools gold!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Might be worth noting that maybe the Big XII wasn't as bad as everyone made them out to be this year. The league had a ton of parity and lacked an "elite" team but the round robin schedule exposes everyone. You don't get the benefit of having Nebraska's schedule this year or Iowa's in 2015 aka fools gold!

Sure, the Big XII schedule round robin is always going to be tough, especially when there are only 2 bad football programs out of 10 and you are one of those programs. But the Big XII is way down this year. This is probably the easiest schedule ISU will have in a while. Conversely a SOS in the twenties to thirties is probably about as tough as Iowa will get being in the weaker division of a watered down conference like the B1G.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I like to pile on Iowa fans as much as the next guy, but I'm afraid this fan base would be equally as infuriated if our program was as up-and-down as Iowa's, and run with the ineptitude of their ADs office.

Its funny that you would say that because across the river to the west the nebbie fanbase wants a lot more than a nine win season and losing to the Choke Eyes by 30 pts......Some Husker fans want to know why they fired Pelini, so its all about expectations boys and girls.

As a Cyclone... I could take being up and down if the UP's included conference championships and new years day bowl type games or cfplayoff games......

Under Earle Bruce I was unhappy with winning 8 games a year and losing to the Choke Eyes* and never getting close to winning a big 8 championship....Now I would be satisfied with any minor bowl game....Losing does that to you....

*see 1977 game for reference

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I just find it amusing that they need to fall back on that to feel better about themselves. It does sting that we aren't that good, but it's not exactly news to lifelong ISU fans.

The problem with your statement is that in 1976-78...we were miles better that the Choke Eyes, and yet their fanbase told everybody that they were still the better team, because we at ISU played nobody good (big 8 schedule)......The media in this state is so biased towards the Chokes, and that will never change because the Media hates our freaking guts always has and always will.....

I can attest its been that way since 1962......when I saw my 1st ISU football game

Help Support Us

Become a patron