Ayala 21/27
    Dane is 27/29
    Romanchik 29/28

5 at large bids available.

Lampe took 2nd in Southern and allocation is 1
    Krohn took 3rd in PAC 12 and allocation is 2
    Ayala DNP in EIWA and allocation is 7
    Romanchik took 6th in MAC and allocation is 4

Think Krohn & Courts are ahead of Dane, but Dane could jump Ayala since there was 7 allocations and he doesn't place.
    Lampe and Dane are probably close
    I think Dane is also ahead of Romanchik

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The at large formula is:
Head to head (25%)
Quality wins (20%)
Coaches Panel Rank (15%)
Results against common opponents (10%)
RPI (10%)
Conference Tournament placement (10%)
Overall win percentage (10%)

Assuming that the six guys who earned allocations but didn't punch their ticket are going to be the only ones competitive (there are probably others that meet the bronze criteria but not having a coaches panel rank and/or RPI would mean they probably are a step below those six) I think Romanchik is the odd man out. He has similar results against common opponents to Pestano but he'll be lower on the "Conference tournament placement" score and I think (and this is where I might be wrong) that he'll fall in the rankings more than Dane - the guy who stole Pestano's spot was ranked so Dane shouldn't fall out of the rankings. Romanchik lost to two unranked guys so he might fall out.

Last edited:

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I do hope Downey learns how to take a shot on the next two weeks. His offense was ref dependant this weekend.

I agree...but try to remember...he's still recovering from the worst injury in his 18 year career...I dare not mention specifics on any media...but it's still a factor. But hey, how many guys do you know that could qualify with only five to six weeks of training under their belt? He's still running on only 6 cylinders. He has three years of eligibility, and he will get it done, Judoka.

Last edited:

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
GREAT tournament by the Clones. Sorry I was not on the boards to immediately congratulate. Just about every weight wrestled above my expectations.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Congrats to Spoon! Weatherman also wrestled very well, hoping it carries over and he can be an AA.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
SMH...f'n smartass. Goodbye to this website....nothing but sour, sarcastic grapes. Bunch of old men who think they know it all. Not what I expected. Go Cyclones.

NEICyfan is not a cyclone fan, he is a hawkeye/uni who poses as a cyclone fan. Be best off to just ignore any discussion with him.

Congrats to pat and your family. He looked tough this weekend. To answer your question, I don't know very many guys who could qualify for ncaas with 5 or 6 weeks training under there belt. That's a testament to just how good Patrick is.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
They've got a powerpoint up on the NCAA website that is from 2013 and doesn't reflect the current formula they use for at large selection, but it does give some insight in to how they compare the wrestlers (http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Mock Selections.pdf). At the veryleast it says what they consider to be a "Quality win" - a win over a Gold or Silver Standard Wrestler that advanced to the national championships through a pre-allocated AQ spot. It still isn't clear about a lot of stuff though, I wish it included an example and that it was updated to the current formula. There might be an updated presentation out there somewhere but I can't find it

So looking at these six and quality wins (I'm using wrestlestat for most of them because I can only find official records off the school's website for half the guys so there could be matches missing)
Pestano:
5-2 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
Romanchik:
5-3 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
Ayala:
8-7 win over Jack Dechow (Old Dominion)
Courts:
WBF over Matt Miller (Navy)
8-3 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
Garet Krohn:
8-5 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
John Lampe:
None

So on that leg Pestano beats Lampe, ties Romanchik, Ayala, and Krohn, and loses to Courts.

on the Head-to-head leg the only head to head match I can find among that group is Krohn with a 5-3 win over Lampe at the Southern Scuffle.

Edit: Found another one. Romanchik beat Lampe 4-1 in December.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Been busy with calving and had the 4 month old niece down enjoying the weather we had. Again thanks to all the guys that kept updates as the matches progressed plus breakdowns of qualifiers and what each one needed.

2nd congrats goes out to Downey on what appeared to be a hard fought tourney. Get some rest and make some noise here in the big show.

3rd great job by Tanner. I think he is closing that gap each time he wrestles OSU Dieringer which hopefully is going to translate into being very competitive in the big show. Hanging with him is giving me some confidence for him to maybe go beyond the AA we were thinking and have a chance to make some bigger noise.

4th AWESOME for Spoon being a 2time Champ.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So looking at these six and quality wins (I'm using wrestlestat for most of them because I can only find official records off the school's website for half the guys so there could be matches missing)
Pestano:
5-2 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
Romanchik:
5-3 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
Ayala:
8-7 win over Jack Dechow (Old Dominion)
Courts:
WBF over Matt Miller (Navy)
8-3 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
Garet Krohn:
8-5 over Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan)
John Lampe:
None

So on that leg Pestano beats Lampe, ties Romanchik, Ayala, and Krohn, and loses to Courts.

on the Head-to-head leg the only head to head match I can find among that group is Krohn with a 5-3 win over Lampe at the Southern Scuffle.

Gonna drop Courts at this point because with two quality wins and a coaches panel rank that probably won't drop a whole lot (his losses were to Brooks who should be in the top 10 in the final ranking, Keupke who was 22nd in the last ranking and should stay there or move up, and Christenson who was ranked 32nd and should stay the same or move up) as well as an RPI that is probably still higher than at least 5 of the 6 guys looking for an at large bid. He's got one of the spots for sure so we're down to 5 guys for 4 spots.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think 6 was the most we could have gotten to the NCAA. I think Quean would have gotten a bid also.

Happy for Kyle. Great performances by Earl, Tanner and Lelund. Pat had a great weekend and got the job done and will keep getting better.

Now - NYC roll call! Who is going to New York? I am

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Been busy with calving and had the 4 month old niece down enjoying the weather we had. Again thanks to all the guys that kept updates as the matches progressed plus breakdowns of qualifiers and what each one needed.

2nd congrats goes out to Downey on what appeared to be a hard fought tourney. Get some rest and make some noise here in the big show.

3rd great job by Tanner. I think he is closing that gap each time he wrestles OSU Dieringer which hopefully is going to translate into being very competitive in the big show. Hanging with him is giving me some confidence for him to maybe go beyond the AA we were thinking and have a chance to make some bigger noise.

4th AWESOME for Spoon being a 2time Champ.

A few weeks back I predicted Weatherman for top 4 (and then he slipped up soon after), but hopefully that is where he is headed. I hope the matchups work in his favor.