Next coach options?

clonedog

Dec 12, 2008
If JP does not have a letter of resignation from PR in his file after last year; JP needs to be gone. The only reason to leave PR on the sidelines this year was to give him one more chance. That chance should have been coupled with a letter of resignation in the event PR failed to significantly move ISU up in standings.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Jamie is a cross country runner. He's somehow managed to convince some people to make donations to the point we can have some nice things, but he doesn't understand football. He's more concerns about the non-basketball or football sports to see how god awful we are.

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
All the coaching changes being made in the off-season means a lot of staffs will be getting let go. They don't ALL suck. Why aren't there possible candidates on the South Carolina or Miami staffs, for example?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
A while back I thought we could do better than Cambell from Toledo, but now I think I'd take him if he wanted to come here.

And then I'd consider promoting Ayeni to OC if he could handle it. I'd like to see him stay, but not sure if he would if it wasn't a step up of some kind.

I wonder if Tony Alford would consider being head coach? How about Chris Ash?

Part of me wants to run the triple option. It's working for teams like Navy, Air Force, and G. Tech most years. Navy destroyed the high octane Memphis team a few weeks ago, and Air Force took it to Boise State last night also. You can beat fast paced spread teams with that offense if you know how to run it.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
Chris Ash. The OSU DC

Agree that he should be on the interview list along with - Lincoln Riley (OU OC), Phillip Montgomery (Tulsa hc, former Baylor OC), Dino Babers (Bowling Green HC), or Matt Wells (Utah State, Luke Wells is on his staff and has good area recruiting connections)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly I am good with anybody. Tell me any name and any resume. Anybody else at this point.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agree that he should be on the interview list along with - Lincoln Riley (OU OC), Phillip Montgomery (Tulsa hc, former Baylor OC), Dino Babers (Bowling Green HC), or Matt Wells (Utah State, Luke Wells is on his staff and has good area recruiting connections)

I'd be pretty happy with any of these, especially Phillip Montgomery.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
I just want to see someone who has worked for a highly successful coach. If you look at the history of coaches who are successful you will usually find that they worked for a very good coach. That is where you hope they learned how to lead, and how to win.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Also, I don't think the Iowa State job is as bad as some make it seem. Great fan base, really good facilities, a good conference, a decent talent pool coming back. I'm undoubtedly bias, but give me this job over Illinois, Missouri or Central Florida.

It really isn't. It isn't a top tier job but people are acting like we won't have applicants. There will be people interested who could succeed at ISU. We just have to hope that Pollard picks one.

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
In all seriousness, here is my list of coaches that we should try and contact:

Coaches of:
Temple
Memphis
Houston
Western Kentucky
Northern Illinois
Bowling Green
San Diego State
Arkansas State
Appalachian State

Hail Mary - North Carolina

Lanny

Apr 10, 2006
Kimberling City, MO
I think Ash is the most likely person to get the job based on the previous hires. I would need to see who he gets as assistants to make up my mind if I like it or not.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Lincoln Riley. Familiar with the conference and well known in Texas. If they hire another defensive head coach outside Pete Carroll it will just be more of the same.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
It's time for Scott Frost to move back to the Midwest. He has the resume and I have been told that he would be interested in the head coaching position at Iowa State or Kansas State.