On-field match-up you're most excited to see

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
With both fan bases feeling pretty good about our victories, I was wondering what match-up you are looking forward to watching. For me there are two:

Sam vs Iowa secondary: Lots of hype on the Hawkeye side of things about how great their secondary is, hoping Richardson has a big day and can pick them apart. This could also be a WR vs Secondary issue, but I think the more important aspect is how well Sam can deliver the ball.

ISU O-Line vs Iowa D-Line: This is crucial. Can we a a push for our run game? Can we give Sam time to throw? How well does Campos fair against Ott?

Your thoughts?

And **** Iowa

tinsley500

Mar 23, 2012
Coon Rapids
Im going with Iowa's O-Line vs ISU D-Line. If we cant stop the run it could be a long day and I really think it will be the deciding factor in the game.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Im going with Iowa's O-Line vs ISU D-Line. If we cant stop the run it could be a long day and I really think it will be the deciding factor in the game.

I was thinking this also, and I agree. I just think the game will come down to how well our offense will perform. I think the D will be adequate.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
With both fan bases feeling pretty good about our victories, I was wondering what match-up you are looking forward to watching. For me there are two:

Sam vs Iowa secondary: Lots of hype on the Hawkeye side of things about how great their secondary is, hoping Richardson has a big day and can pick them apart. This could also be a WR vs Secondary issue, but I think the more important aspect is how well Sam can deliver the ball.

ISU O-Line vs Iowa D-Line: This is crucial. Can we a a push for our run game? Can we give Sam time to throw? How well does Campos fair against Ott?

Your thoughts?

And **** Iowa

It's the boring pick, but it has to be ISU OL vs. Iowa DL. They've had trouble getting to our QBs in the past. When Richardson has time, he is a decent QB with the ability to make some great throws. I didn't see much of the Iowa secondary last week, but Mabin and Lomax blew coverage plenty of times last season. I would hate to see us not take more shots downfield.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think Iowa's starting 2 corners are good players, but ISU brings 4 legit WRs. So it will be interesting to see how the safeties and back up corners hold up. Linebackers are green too. ISU will also test them in the passing game.

And how will Bethard do in a hostile environment against an DL that appears will be able to pressure him.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Your thoughts?

And **** Iowa

I rewatched the UNI game last night and noticed we got next to no pressure from our D-line when Tucker was on the sideline. He gets gassed if he's in for more than six plays because he's going a thousand miles an hour. He was on the bench when they scored. Allowing Iowa to sustain long drives would not bode well for us. Fortunately, they're one of the few schools out there still huddling up, so that may allow him to catch a breather between plays.

The good news is we got six sacks without Trent Taylor in the lineup. We'll need his size verses Iowa's O-line. They looked impressive against an undersized and youthful Redbird front.

Let's also give credit to UNI's defense. Farley's squads will always be salty. His son blew up a lot of plays, and Isaac Ales spent a lot of time in the backfield (as expected). UNI's secondary was indeed their strength and their corners will undoubtedly get a shot at playing on Sundays. Sam took coverage sacks. At least he didn't throw picks, right Steele?

I'm also glad our defense got some good practice chasing Bailey around. Beathard isn't as quick, but I imagine his vision and accuracy downfield are quite a bit better. Hopefully we can force him into some ill-advised throws. Gotta capitalize on turnovers better than we did last Saturday.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I know it's cliche, but definitely the case this weekend, the game will be won at the line of scrimmage.

tinsley500

Mar 23, 2012
Coon Rapids
I was thinking this also, and I agree. I just think the game will come down to how well our offense will perform. I think the D will be adequate.

My only concern is IF we cant stop the run i see Iowa grinding it out and owning time of possession and keeping our offense from getting on the field and into any sort of rhythm.

Last edited:

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
I think Iowa's starting 2 corners are good players, but ISU brings 4 legit WRs. So it will be interesting to see how the safeties and back up corners hold up. Linebackers are green too. ISU will also test them in the passing game.

And how will Bethard do in a hostile environment against an DL that appears will be able to pressure him.

Agree with a lot of this. I think your receiving group, which is easily the best we are going to play this year (and frankly, scare the crap out of me), vs. our secondary is going to be a good matchup. King has potential to be a one of the best in the B1G, and Maybin has grown a bunch, he's also one of the fastest guys on the team, so that matchup will get fun to see unfold. As far as our linebackers go, they were green last year, and frankly were awful. They have grown, and have gotten much, much better, but still have a ways to go.

Overall, I agree with a lot on here. I think the game is won on the line. If your Oline can give Sam some time, I can see him shredding us. However, if we can get some pressure and keep him off balance, then that bodes well for Iowa. Flipping it, if Iowa can win the Oline war against your Dline, and run the ball, then thats huge for Iowa. That will open up the pass, dip into your depth, keep your O off the field etc. So thats my vote- Iowas Oline vs. ISU's dline.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If ISU's O-Line can show up against UI's D-Line, ISU shouldn't have much issue tearing the UI secondary apart. Our WR's have a ridiculous level of talent.

Bonus points if that can in-turn open up the run game. I'd like to see Brown go for 100 and 1. It's quite a reach, but not impossible.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I think our D will do what it does and make enough stops to get the win. This seems to have been the case for a few years now. The only question is can our offense put up the points? I think we can hold them to under 20 points for the game, but can we move the ball well enough and actually do something in the red zone? I hope MM has a great game-plan dialed up and our players can execute. That's the biggest thing, EXECUTION.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think our D will do what it does and make enough stops to get the win. This seems to have been the case for a few years now. The only question is can our offense put up the points? I think we can hold them to under 20 points for the game, but can we move the ball well enough and actually do something in the red zone? I hope MM has a great game-plan dialed up and our players can execute. That's the biggest thing, EXECUTION.

I'm expecting at least one trick play, and hopefully a couple drives with really odd offensive sets. I'm all about creativity.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Our CBs vs. Iowa's WRs. I assume we will load the box and force them to beat us through the air. I think our CBs are really solid and will be up to the task.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
i dont see anyone on iowa's team that can match up with Lazard. i suspect we will less blitzing from them and more of their traditional Cover 4 as they try to contain the deep ball. Sam will need to be accurate and the receivers will need to pay attention to the nuances of that defensive scheme and settle their routes in the soft spots. if sam can get some juice on the ball the deep outs will be there.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Our d-line versus Iowas run game (o-line, tight ends, fullback). We stop or limit their run game, we should win unless Sam throws a slew of picks, which I don't think will happen.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Wally vs Davis
I think Wally will stack the box out of the gate. If CJ can't throw down field, we stay in it like last year, game over. But if Davis can throw successfully what is Wally's move, 3-4?

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Your thoughts?

And **** Iowa

The trenches will be key, my prediction is both DL will own the offensesive lines..... It comes down to making plays with the skilled players.....

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
i dont see anyone on iowa's team that can match up with Lazard. i suspect we will less blitzing from them and more of their traditional Cover 4 as they try to contain the deep ball. Sam will need to be accurate and the receivers will need to pay attention to the nuances of that defensive scheme and settle their routes in the soft spots. if sam can get some juice on the ball the deep outs will be there.

I actually think you are spot on. I didn't see a lot of accuracy from Sam against UNI overall. A few bullets but inconsistent.

If he can get the ball on the correct shoulder of the receiver it will be trouble for Iowa. I would watch the backs out of the backfield as well.

Other matchup to watch is punting game. I suspect ISU could be 15 yds/possession better than Iowa with Lazard returning and Downing punting. That could be worth a couple of scores.