Pretty sure KJ has another year left on contract...

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So we should just except being average at a sport ISU was once great at and be ok with never competing for a national title?

Nobody is saying that. They're saying that it is foolish to think that we'd magically compete for a title if we got a new head coach. There's an entirely different landscape in wrestling than there was in decades past. We have just as much chance of winning a title under Jackson as we do under anyone else short of a generational coach. Nobody is saying we should "settle" for the current results. They're saying the current results are a result of parity that didn't exist in the past as much as anything else.

The program is in a much healthier state than it was when we hired Jackson. Some people just refuse to accept that. Jackson might not be the answer, but he isn't the problem.

ejcs

Mar 11, 2015
There are many, many shades of grey between a once and a generation coach and the 15th-ish finishes that we are getting today. I'm a vocal critic but I'm not expecting a dynasty or even necessarily an NCAA title.

I would assume so. iowa is no longer in the equation, and UNI will never be

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I don't know what this thread has to do with UNI wrestling but given that his prior two seasons were UNI's best in nearly 10 years I would disagree that they are failing to meet expectations. UNI is recruiting well, attendance is up, the fan base is energized. So, not a very witty retort.

BTW, you like to get cute about UNI but if I lived closer to Ames and were able I wouldn't even think about attending UNI meets.

Let me ask you a question: If we extend KJ say 5 years and we still do not crack the top 10 after those 5 years, will you still vote to keep KJ? At what point does he actually have to produce?

The short answer is no, he has produced you just don't accept it now staaaaaaaaahp posting and go away.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Lol, still refusing to let any opportunity to defend UNI slip away while bashing ISU with every post. You aren't fooling anybody, bud.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Nobody is saying that. They're saying that it is foolish to think that we'd magically compete for a title if we got a new head coach. There's an entirely different landscape in wrestling than there was in decades past. We have just as much chance of winning a title under Jackson as we do under anyone else short of a generational coach. Nobody is saying we should "settle" for the current results. They're saying the current results are a result of parity that didn't exist in the past as much as anything else.

The program is in a much healthier state than it was when we hired Jackson. Some people just refuse to accept that. Jackson might not be the answer, but he isn't the problem.
I think it is the Big 10 network and in state tuition making what the partial scholly doesn't cover a lot smaller at Ohio state or Penn State. Plus you wresle on a national network all the time. Really that pushed us into the top of the second tier instead of a first tier wrestling school. Hard to compete with that, Cael is no fool. It is no suprise that the rise of Big 10 wrestling over the last 20+ years coincided with our fall.

Last edited:

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Lol, still refusing to let any opportunity to defend UNI slip away while bashing ISU with every post. You aren't fooling anybody, bud.

If someone didn't keep bringing them up and bashing them UNI wouldn't even be talked about. Your bashing of a program with no where near the resources or tradition of ISU that has a coach who is so clearly improving the program just to make yourself feel better is really sad and an absolutely brutal troll.

I don't "bash ISU." My opinion is that our head coach is a very good man and person but we are underacheiving as a program with no end in sight. My opinion is that adequate time has been given to him to better position on a national level. And, if you would open your eyes, you will see many posters are agreeing with me.

I also note you ignored my earlier question.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I would assume so. iowa is no longer in the equation, and UNI will never be

Perfect example of a fan saying something ignorant to rationalize 15th place finishes. Iowa is no longer in what equation? They just got 2nd and return the 2nd most NCAA points next year. And you're right--UNI isn't likely to ever contend. They are a wrestling "mid major" that doesn't have the budget, support, tradition or facilities of Iowa State.

I don't expect us to contend every year. What I don't expect are long periods of time where we are no longer in the equation.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Perfect example of a fan saying something ignorant to rationalize 15th place finishes. Iowa is no longer in what equation? They just got 2nd and return the 2nd most NCAA points next year. And you're right--UNI isn't likely to ever contend. They are a wrestling "mid major" that doesn't have the budget, support, tradition or facilities of Iowa State.

I don't expect us to contend every year. What I don't expect are long periods of time where we are no longer in the equation.

Just staaaaaaaaahp posting and go away, no one wants you here

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Just staaaaaaaaahp posting and go away, there is no fan on here besides CycloneGrappler that wants you here

You are wrong. What is making this board intolerable is yourself and others continually bashing NEICy instead of having legitimate conversations. He has asked nothing in this thread that is out of line, but you all refuse to discuss it.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

Is Tom Ryan a generational coach?

There is more parity in wrestling today than there has been in years. To say we are 'stuck' is a defeatist attitude.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
You are wrong. What is making this board intolerable is yourself and others continually bashing NEICy instead of having legitimate conversations. He has asked nothing in this thread that is out of line, but you all refuse to discuss it.

Responding to a blatant concern troll and interacting with them gives them legitimacy. Giving them a foothold and making them appear to be something other than a pathetic troll. Arguing is pointless because they'll continually move the goalposts until everyone gives up. Reminding everyone viewing the thread that they are dealing with a troll who is 'just asking questions' is a worthwhile endeavour.

Last edited:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Recent history suggests the lack of wrestling championships at ISU is not ONLY about the coach. If there weren't other issues, Sanderson would still be here. I don't know what those issues are. I'm not going to heap all the blame on a Jackson, or imagine some coaching savior could swoop in and yada yada yada.

There are many, many shades of grey between a once and a generation coach and the 15th-ish finishes that we are getting today. I'm a vocal critic but I'm not expecting a dynasty or even necessarily an NCAA title.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Recent history suggests the lack of wrestling championships at ISU is not ONLY about the coach. If there weren't other issues, Sanderson would still be here. I don't know what those issues are. I'm not going to heap all the blame on a Jackson, or imagine some coaching savior could swoop in and yada yada yada.

I don't think the issue at hand is lack of championships.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Responding to a blatant concern troll and interacting with them gives them legitimacy. Giving them a foothold and making them appear to be something other than a pathetic troll. Arguing is pointless because they'll continually move the goalposts until everyone gives up. Reminding everyone viewing the thread that they are dealing with a troll who is 'just asking questions' is a worthwhile endeavour.

Which goalposts have been moved?

Pretty closed minded that you will only talk wrestling with a dyed in the wool cheerleader type fan. Others have expressed their dismay about the program but you've continued to make this about me and not addressed concerns.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
But it is. NCAA championships are the basis of the "glory days" so many remember so fondly. Ability to win championships is why Sanderson is at PSU.

Frankly NEI, if all you want is to be somewhat better then Jackson is not so far from meeting expectations.

I don't think the issue at hand is lack of championships.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines

Dude would love to rational discuss Cyclone wresting you can look at my post history and find I've been a fan for a long time and can rational discuss where we've been, what's led to where we are and what I think our future needs to be. Just can't have that discussion on here with the trolls posting.