Friday OT #2 - What did you get/give this year for V-Day?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Nada. My wife and I don't do Valentine's Day. We both prefer little surprise gifts just for the hell of it throughout the rest of the year. It's a little more fun that way. But to each their own.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
The girlfriend is not one for gifts, but I went against her word and got her an arrangement of flowers. Tonight we are going out to eat and she made me agree to let her pay since I paid for her dinner the other day. Afterwards I am taking her out to the bar to celebrate her 21st birthday which she had this week but neither of us could really celebrate due to me student teaching and her having class from 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. It's refreshing dating a girl that isn't gift oriented, but instead just wants to spend time and do things with me. That and its easy on the bank account that we can trade dinners, regardless of the occasion.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
The tradition is for me to get flowers the week before or the week after if at all. In this case it was the week before...

I also got her a bacon & egg card that you open up and "Hot hot hot!" starts playing, the egg and bacon sizzle (vibrate) on the card. I laughed out loud in Target when I found it so it was a must buy. Oh, and I got her one other gift that vibrates.

Brown chicken brown cow.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Took Wifey-poo out to dinner last night, then to the Half-Price bookstore (she loaded up). Made a real date out of it. Then rubbed her feet while we watched a couple Wheel Of Fortunes we had on the DVR.

This morning I bought the last daughter we have at home a half dozen brownie batter valentines donuts at Dunkin Donuts, and texted HVDs to my other two girls. My oldest texted back that I'd always be her #1 dude. Made my day!

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We haven't done gifts in quite a while (she's frugal, I have never liked valentine's day), but we've been having a really good few months, marriage wise, so when my co-workers left work early to go get something, I had a twinge of guilt...maybe I should do something...late last night I decided that that's what I've always thought sucks about V-Day....we're so 'gift' oriented...flowers, jewelry, etc. If I am really the good husband I want to be, no purchased thing should be able to say "I love you" better than I can say "I love you" myself. And while I'm not a ooey-gooey, lovey-dovey guy typically, I sat down last night after she and the kids were in bed and wrote her a letter, by hand, and left it where she would find it first thing in the morning...unfortunately she didn't, and we were walking around, said our "happy V-Day"s and she said she hadn't gotten me anything, but thought about it considering our last few months. I said I had thought the same thing. She found the letter a few minutes later, and gave me a big ol' hug and a butt squeeze.

So, it looks like she got a thought out letter, and I got a butt squeeze...

:wink:

sounds like a win-win to me!

and handwritten sappy cards are the best.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I shoveled the rest of the driveway/sidewalk for him after he was only able to do behind his car before he left this am. Texted him a pic and said Happy V-Day. I was honest and let him know the neighbor came over with his snowblower and helped with where the plow had gone by. ;) We will get a heart shaped pizza from Great Plains, which is what we did our 1st V Day 20 years ago as students at ISU and have done since we moved back to Ames. Plan on stopping at Stam later this afternoon hopefully.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Got the wife some flowers and I've yet to recieve anything. I have to assume a gift is on the way, right? Right?

Last edited:

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Bought the wife a dozen cardinal and a dozen gold roses. Bought myself a new turkey decoy and turkey call.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
I bought my wife an exercise bike.

And in return she is not going to be mad at me for getting her an exercise bike.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We purposely don't make a huge deal out of it. I got my hubby some comfy lounge pants, and he one-upped me by getting me some chocolates from Stam. Made a preggo wife happy.

Remembering my preggo days (in the distant past)...I think I would have preferred the comfy lounge pants!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Just saw this, got a chuckle:

BgbZENaIMAA6Ebj.jpg

Ashley Wagner's got a Valentine for you | FOX Sports on MSN

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Vday was a loss for me this year. Just created a fight between us. She asks for ideas and then complained about having to shop for those ideas. I got her something but she neglected to see said gift on the kitchen table as she left work thinking I didn't get her anything and scowling at me. Vday sucks.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Got some V and she cooked me breakfast. It has been a good day.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I got him a bag of peanut m'n'ms and a Hershey's chocolate bar. He surprised me by having flowers delivered (he's gone all day working the ISU Classic track meet). Silly man. I'll either have him pick up a heart-shaped pizza on his way out of Ames or we'll take the whole family out to eat (at one of the only four non-pizza/non-fast food restaurants in town).